Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom official:Music piracy 'good for rock stars'!

Options
  • 16-01-2009 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0115/breaking81.htm

Quite an eye-opener:cool:.

Think i'll forgive Eircom aka Eircon for past evildoings like expensive dial-up/broadband on these comments :)

McDowell defending the record labels, remember him in his glorious days as Minister for Justice? :)
    An Eircom official told colleagues they should think of music piracy as ‘sharing’ and “helping the health and good living of rich cocaine sniffing rock stars by leaving them with less free money to spend on sex and drugs”, the High Court heard today.
    *snip*
    He read an email from Eircom’s head of Internet Protocol, Denis Curran, of January 2001, which suggested “the MP3 piracy issue” be on the agenda of the next management meeting.

“We need to reach a decision on how we are going to handle this,” the email said. “PS ‘piracy’ is a loaded term. Could we say ‘sharing‘- ‘piracy’ implies there’s something wrong with it.

“Think of it as helping the health and good living of rich cocaine sniffing rock stars by leaving them with less free money to spend on sex and drugs.”

Mr McDowell said Eircom was also this week advertising its broadband packages on a website, Pirate Bay, which was being prosecuted in Sweden over alleged large scale illegal music piracy.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

HAHAHAH. Only applies to older real rock stars. Modern rock / pop lite ****e performers / mime artists would be wasted on a single bottle of buckfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

breaking news of what some eircom guy said 8 years ago :) the time it takes to get to our ears !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Struggling to think of modern rock stars if they exist :)

Louis Walsh a pioneer or rock stars? :D

I liked this bit in the article as just weird :)
    Because of illegal downloading, the remuneration now going to recorded music had been reduced to “a trickle” with a very severe knock-on effect. Concerts and live performances were now the only source of income and records had lost their value almost completely.

Now, i never knew that the labels got/get huge sums of revenue from concerts as concerts were where the real money was earned by the artists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ok - own up!

Who's been downloading wee Daniel O'Donnell???
    ...and how can we cure your pain?

Who are the rock stars anyway?
    Pebbles, The Rolling Stones...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Danny snorts coke? ;)

It might explain those high notes at times:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I take back all the **** ive ever said about them, seriously, this is amazing and i think the big 4 can go **** themselves. One critisism i have though, Artists never got the "trickle" from their album sales in the first place, they got the smallest percentage, and that was that. Record companies have been riding artists for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I take back all the **** ive ever said about them, seriously, this is amazing and i think the big 4 can go **** themselves. One critisism i have though, Artists never got the "trickle" from their album sales in the first place, they got the smallest percentage, and that was that. Record companies have been riding artists for years.

Yep. Don't even bother going for a record deal.

1) Form a band.
    2) Write some music, keep writing at your own pace and be as creative as you want to be
    3) Get a mate who's intereted to manage your band,
    4) Get some gigs locally.
    5) Get your other mate do do up a website.
    6) Keep playing.
    7) Get more of your mates to be roadies.
    8) You'll make no money but it'll be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If you're half decent you can earn money by playing live.
    **** the record companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

gurramok wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0115/breaking81.htm

Quite an eye-opener:cool:.

Think i'll forgive Eircom aka Eircon for past evildoings like expensive dial-up/broadband on these comments :)

McDowell defending the record labels, remember him in his glorious days as Minister for Justice? :)

OK - Eircom, I may very well come back to you in the future after this one! :)

Seriously though, implement software that will stop it...lol.

Come off it, go back and harrass your own ISP's......GTFO

• Advertisement

Mr McDowell said Eircom was also this week advertising its broadband packages on a website, Pirate Bay, which was being prosecuted in Sweden over alleged large scale illegal music piracy.
    Just noticed this, google ads? Mcdowell can use internets?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It would still take the average Eircom user a week to download an album in modern Ireland.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Record companies settle action against Eircom
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsngbqlmhau/
    the companies said they had agreed a joint approach under which they will work closely together to end the abuse of the internet by copyright infringers.

Eircom said it will warn the subscriber that unless the infringement ceases, the subscriber will be disconnected.

await the details of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

gurramok wrote: »
    Danny snorts coke? ;)

It might explain those high notes at times:)

I'd say you're one letter out there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

This might make up for the crappy broadband packages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The guy wrote: »
    This might make up for the crappy broadband packages.
    ...and their rip-off prices. Click here and compare! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

[QUOTE=Nick_oliveri Record companies have been riding artists for years.[/QUOTE]

not naming anyone BUT theres a few i wouldnt mind riding myself, them record companys have all the joy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That must mean that Eircom won't mind not charging us for uploading and downloading voices on our landlines.

Biggins wrote: »
    ...and their rip-off prices. Click here and compare! :eek:

Don't forget NTL

€42 for 24mb, that is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Just seen this story on the RTE News.

The music industry is to supply the IP addresses of music uploaders and downloaders. Eircom then sends out a warning notice, and if they fails to stop them, then they'll disconnect the user.

Feck, I'd better do any downloading I want before this hits NTL !

Oh yeah, I'm sure a load of people will now downgrade there superfast broadband connections if they're not going to be using bittorrent 24-7 from now on !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Stay away from public P2P networks and you be fine :pac:

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Record companies settle action against Eircom
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsngbqlmhau/
    the companies said they had agreed a joint approach under which they will work closely together to end the abuse of the internet by copyright infringers.

Eircom said it will warn the subscriber that unless the infringement ceases, the subscriber will be disconnected.

await the details of this

Yup! It's on the €ircom website now.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/general/14837500/?view=Standard

To be honest I never thought i'd see €ircom crack?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

everyone to rapid$hare

yoyo wrote: »
    Stay away from public P2P networks and you be fine :pac:

Nick

You don't happen to have a demonoid or what.cd invite do you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The guy wrote: »
    You don't happen to have a demonoid or what.cd invite do you?

Dont use torrents full stop :pac: , although the private sites will probably be safer if users wish to use torrents :P

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Dont use torrents full stop :pac: , although the private sites will probably be safer if users wish to use torrents :P

Nick

Ah, Peer Guardian is fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is just the start of "Big Brother" policing the net with automated search robots, next it will be censorship.

Advertisement