Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Clamper thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

ca3nie wrote: »
    Clamping in my estate has been an on going problem, the clamper seems to think its ok to clamp the residents. They only reason there is clamping in operation is to stop the staff of a near by school parking here. So after arriving home from work last Friday with my boyfriend we were greeted with the clamper taken pictures of my boyfriends car. I had the permit in my car drove to work totally forgetting to put it in his car! So we explained to the clamper who knows both our cars belong to residents that I had simply forgot his reply "Call number and pay". So after €120 down the drain we decided to try get the money back as we were in fact parked out side our own house in a space. So coming home Monday evening I am in my boyfriends car pull up to my apartment and my car was clamped, with my permit in the dash!! Rand NCPS to ask can they send someone out to remove it, I was on hold for so long my credit went! I rang again today explained 'my permit is valid and on display can you please have the clamp removed?' Answer 'No we have photos that shows you had no permit on display' I replied 'Can you please mail me these photos?' All you could hear in the back round was people laughing!!!They only way I can get the pictures is if I pay first then contest it!! OH yeah they don't tell you its €120 a day so my bill is now €240. I am refusing to pay and am planning to remove the clampat the weekend. Anyone have advices on what they can do to me once I remove clamp?

Probably not a whole lot. did you get it off yet? please tell me you didn't buckle to the pressure and give these scumbags your money

we had a thread a while back where someguy was looking for ways to cut the thing off and in the end the guy came back to say he chickened out and paid the ****ers. that was a pretty disappointing read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

Taking it off on Saturday, not giving them my money!
    I will let you know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I should have taken a picture but last week the Cash & Carry next to work was using a custom clamping system.

Cardboard stuck the window with "you are clamped" written on it & a trolley (one of the vertical ones used for goods delivery) chained to the wheel. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

My personal opinion is that clamping is extortion. Also in my opinion, the only way to deal with clamping is to remove the clamp yourself.

Since I started the clamper thread before christmas for my friends car, I was clamped myself (again not breaking the signposted rules!)

An batterry alternater and angle grinder would have been an awful lot quicker but I opted for the more traditional (penny pinching!) hacksaw method! It did took an hour to get the bastard off! (had to take the wheel off and use it as a prop to get an angle for the hacksaw!)

The security guard for the area came over and told me I would be fined, get this, FIVE THOUSAND euro! So he got told to f**k off! He also said he would ring the guards (who didnt come within the half hour that I was still getting it off!)

Havent heard a peep from the Guards, Clampers or Security firm since!
    Anyone else beaten the clampers?

Also just wondering if "the nog" has an opinion, proffesional or otherwise on this?
    i have something similar for you,i once broke down in a statoil forecourt and had to park the car there overnight .when i came back next morning there was a clamp on it .of course all pleas fell on deaf ears ,so i rang a solicitor freind of mine who told me i could do what i liked with the clamp (i told him i was thinking of cutting it off)as the garage had attached it to my property(the car)it was now "my" property. so i told the smirking git behind the counter i i was off home to get a consaw and went off by the time i got home the guards were already at my house .
    i told them the story and to my amazement they actually agreed with me so they put me in the back of the car brought me up to the garage ,marched the not smirking any more git out and stood over him whilst he took off the clamp.
    they then gave me a tow home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

shaywest wrote: »
    i have something similar for you,i once broke down in a statoil forecourt and had to park the car there overnight .when i came back next morning there was a clamp on it .of course all pleas fell on deaf ears ,so i rang a solicitor freind of mine who told me i could do what i liked with the clamp (i told him i was thinking of cutting it off)as the garage had attached it to my property(the car)it was now "my" property. so i told the smirking git behind the counter i i was off home to get a consaw and went off by the time i got home the guards were already at my house .
    i told them the story and to my amazement they actually agreed with me so they put me in the back of the car brought me up to the garage ,marched the not smirking any more git out and stood over him whilst he took off the clamp.
    they then gave me a tow home.

That was nice of them! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Was just discussing this thread with a friend via e-mail and they told me this

"oh..and I had a friend of a friend of a friend..that actually worked for a clamping company..and half the time they kept the money for them selfs!! and the victim wouldn't know any different unless ya followed it up"

w@nkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

TheNog wrote: »
    As for what you did well I dont agree with it. You could have been done for criminal damage. Luckily you got away with it.

LOL, never take legal advice from a Guard!

If the car is on private property they are not allowed to detain your car. In this instance you would be within your rights to remove the clamp.

If the car is on public property, it is a different matter. In this case, removing/damaging the clamp would amount to criminal damage. This issue was discussed before on the legal discussion forum.

Clamping in my estate has been an on going problem, the clamper seems to think its ok to clamp the residents. They only reason there is clamping in operation is to stop the staff of a near by school parking here. So after arriving home from work last Friday with my boyfriend we were greeted with the clamper taken pictures of my boyfriends car. I had the permit in my car drove to work totally forgetting to put it in his car! So we explained to the clamper who knows both our cars belong to residents that I had simply forgot his reply "Call number and pay". So after €120 down the drain we decided to try get the money back as we were in fact parked out side our own house in a space. So coming home Monday evening I am in my boyfriends car pull up to my apartment and my car was clamped, with my permit in the dash!! Rand NCPS to ask can they send someone out to remove it, I was on hold for so long my credit went! I rang again today explained 'my permit is valid and on display can you please have the clamp removed?' Answer 'No we have photos that shows you had no permit on display' I replied 'Can you please mail me these photos?' All you could hear in the back round was people laughing!!!They only way I can get the pictures is if I pay first then contest it!! OH yeah they don't tell you its €120 a day so my bill is now €240. I am refusing to pay and am planning to remove the clampat the weekend. Anyone have advices on what they can do to me once I remove clamp?

That's extortion!

If you had a sticker in your car, and the clamper knows the residents' cars, then he shouldn't be clamping them.

Cut off the clamp, and give them a dose of their own medicine. They can't do anything afterwards because it's on private property, and furthermore you are entitled to park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

who007 wrote: »
    Was just discussing this thread with a friend via e-mail and they told me this

"oh..and I had a friend of a friend of a friend..that actually worked for a clamping company..and half the time they kept the money for them selfs!! and the victim wouldn't know any different unless ya followed it up"

w@nkers!

That's odd. No clamping company I know will accept cash - only credit card - so there's no way for the crews to keep the money. Maybe this is a new thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

possibly - or it's an urban myth - didn't think on it too long before I posted it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

towel401 wrote: »
    Probably not a whole lot. did you get it off yet? please tell me you didn't buckle to the pressure and give these scumbags your money

we had a thread a while back where someguy was looking for ways to cut the thing off and in the end the guy came back to say he chickened out and paid the ****ers. that was a pretty disappointing read

That would have been a thread I started when my friend got clamped! I got clamped in December and am pleased to report much better news!

Took the clamp off with a hacksaw, havent heard a peep from the clampers, a secuurity compant in the area said they informed the guards, havent heard from either the guards or the security company!

• Advertisement

That would have been a thread I started when my friend got clamped! I got clamped in December and am pleased to report much better news!

Took the clamp off with a hacksaw, havent heard a peep from the clampers, a secuurity compant in the area said they informed the guards, havent heard from either the guards or the security company!

Yeah, I think I may have posted in your earlier thread advising you to remove the clamp. Like I said above, if the car is on private ground, you should remove the clamp as they are not allowed to detain your car.

I'm glad you cut off the clamp on your own car. I knew you wouldn't hear anything from the security company or the Guards, and you won't hear anything in the future either. Did you take the clamp with you, or did you leave it at the scene?

Yeah, I think I may have posted in your earlier thread advising you to remove the clamp. Like I said above, if the car is on private ground, you should remove the clamp as they are not allowed to detain your car.

I'm glad you cut off the clamp on your own car. I knew you wouldn't hear anything from the security company or the Guards, and you won't hear anything in the future either. Did you take the clamp with you, or did you leave it at the scene?

I took it as a souvenier!

Another one bites the dust :D

Did you use the bolt cutters in the end?

Good man yourself.

You should now cut it up with a consaw and post it back to them piece-by-piece. :D

(That's what I'd do anyway. Just make sure you don't send any identifying stickers/numbers on the clamp).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

One option I wonder does it work -- buy 4 clamps and just clamp yourself -- they can't tow your car away (that's theft) and they can't clamp you (how can they clamp a car that's already clamped?) :D

They could (potentially) block you in -- but that's a lot more expensive for them to do, as they'd have to stay there indefinitely...

I used the bolt cutters on the sides as there is a lead pipe which runs around the rim of the triangle, then hacksawed the rest by taking the wheel off and using it as a prop!

I was thinking to get it repaired and charging them a return fee off 120 Euro and a storage fee of 5 euro per day for the last month!! :D

reasonable!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Careful, if you damage their clamp you can be done for it. Just tell them they have to remove it as they can't detain your clamp and you can bring them to court etc if they don't release your car.

cormie wrote: »
    Careful, if you damage their clamp you can be done for it. Just tell them they have to remove it as they can't detain your clamp and you can bring them to court etc if they don't release your car.

Did you read the post and see the photo? the car is no longer clamped, the clamp is f*cked, and the guards, security company and clampers haven't followed it up! They dont have to remove it in the real world, they just make you pay before they come and take it off! If you stand there and vow to take them to court, your going to be walking everywhere for a while!

But they could take it further and if they brought you to court, you'd be admitting to damage to their property, they have to remove it at your request as they can't detain your vehicle.

cormie wrote: »
    But they could take it further and if they brought you to court, you'd be admitting to damage to their property, they have to remove it at your request as they can't detain your vehicle.

the obligatiion would be on them to prove that damaged the clamp if it went to court, which if i got the clamp repaired would be next to impossible to do!

In the real world they can and will immobilise your car, in the real world, the guards will not come and sort these extortionists out, in the real world they will not take the clamp off unless you pay, the only way in the real world is to take the clamp off yourself! beacuse in the real world the guards dont give a **** bout clampers and its too difficult for the clampers to take you to court.

have you been clamped before?

• Advertisement

I've been clamped by the council (in a parking space at 21:30, first I ever heard of 24 hour pay and display in Ireland:mad:) so not much I could have done there. It's a whole different ball game when it's on private property though :cool:

I wonder is there a page with the legislation saying they can't detain/immobilise your vehicle. Would be good to have a copy on hand for any private clampers!

cut clamp off ask questions later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

is that the only part of the clamp you cut??
    How did you get it out from around the wish bone??

I got clamped twice in clontarf dart station 2nd time your man couldnt get the clamp out, so i have been driving around with it in my boot waiting to see a NCPS van parked somewhere........bunch of fookers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055443782&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Slightly off topic but a couple of years ago I was at Texas in Athlone with a group of friends. We were all about 16 at the time. We walked out to see a clamper clamping a car parked in a disabled space. One of my more "ballsy" friends piped up just as we were walking by the clamper (who was on his knees fitting the clamp) and said " God I'd hate to be a clamper. There such W*nkers". He was literally 2 feet away when he said it! We all burst out laughing - Including the clamper!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Next time ill be renting one of these

http://www.hss.com/index.php?g=7115#SpecificationTitle

much better than fumbling around with generators and inverters anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

hmmm im not so sure. With shiny new chrome alloys id much rather the hard work of hacksawing rather than letting loose with a con-saw, just for the control!

Taking it off on Saturday, not giving them my money!
    I will let you know how I get on

Any update?

Also, what is the best way to remove a clamp?

I was at the shops today, and I saw NCPS clamping some cars. Essentially, they use a chain wrapped around the tyre and the yellow triangle in front of the tyre. The chain used looked very thick- would a bolt cutter be able to cut this type of chain?

Any update?

I was at the shops today, and I saw NCPS clamping some cars. Essentially, they use a chain wrapped around the tyre and the yellow triangle in front of the tyre. The chain used looked very thick- would a bolt cutter be able to cut this type of chain?

The bolt cutter wont go through the chain, its hardened steel, It will go through the lead tube at the rim of the clamp though!

The best way for this type of clamp is to go through the softer yellow metal with an angle grinder or in my case, hacksaw!

See the pic I posted on the 3rd page of this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

no luck getting it of saturday took the wheel of and the chain was through the axle, so waiting on an angle grinder just hope the dont tow before i can get my hands on one!

Advertisement