Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threatened miscarriage in week 8-9 of pregnancy

Options
  • 12-01-2009 9:11pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

has anyone else experienced this? I saw blood (about the size of a 1c coin) in my pants and went to the hospital 10 minutes later (we are very near by) - they said that it was threatened miscarriage. Am really scared. I read on the net that my chances of keeping our baby are not good. I am doing everything possible for this baby from eating more to doing blood tests at 3am (am diabetic)...they did see babies heartbeat but am really upset. I did have a very stressful day in work today - did I cause it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

OMG Cathy please dont stress yourself any further. the internet is not the place to check these things, it only gives you the negatives. It is common for many people to have a small bit of bleedingin the first 12-16 weeks and again in the last 8 weeks. If it is only the size of a 1c piece you shouldnt worry. anything above 2€ size is a worry. We all have stressful days and they are linked to the little bleeds here and there but remain calm and take a warm shower and relax in front of the tv for yourself. If you are still terrified, the ring your local out of hours medical clinic, but really small bleeding is nothing to worry about. I used get period type cramps for the 1st 3 months constantly but I am happily the size of a house now waiting for the next 5 weeks to pass:)

Good Luck and please dont stress:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Oh HUGS, :(

I think lots of people have a small bleed early on and while it is classified as a threatened miscarriage it doesn't mean that losing the baby is inevitable. I know a few people who had this happen but didn't lose the baby. Seeing the heartbeat is great and I believe the risk of miscarriage is greatly reduced when you do.

I remember my Gp saying that the ordinary stresses of life would not make you more likely to have a miscarriage so no you have not caused anything by being work stressed. Have they told you to rest up and take things easy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

No, they did not even say to stop sex (husband is relieved!) They just said not to get stressed and not work too hard! Sorry, I am totally stressed out - hubby gave me my favorite food as I did not feel like eating. I just read what the stats say and it scares me.

Believe me Cathy, those stats are terrifying but completely inaccurate. I am a nursung student hoping to be a midwife, also 35 weeks pregnant myself (as my gran said I'm taking this midwifery thing a bit too seriously) my OH cousins wife had a baby yesterday, and she was bleeding heavily and dangerously until 12 weeks, and I am talking alot of blood for 5 weeks straight. Conor came yesterday, on the date predicted and weighed 9lb! So you have nothing to worry about:)

I know it's very easy to say not to get stressed:o I pretty much spent both my pregnancies in a constant state of panic. Try some meditation/ relaxation cds?? I'm pretty sure I had a pregnancy yoga cd at one point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I have one thing to say to you, step away from Google. And I mean it, you will only stress yourself out even more.

Some bleeding is normal in early pregnancy, I used to bleed often from intercourse and was in the hospital nearly every other week because of it (only found out at 38 weeks that I didn't have to go rushing into the emergency room everytime there was blood!!).

But seriously hun, stay away from google when you're pregnant, if you need advice ask your doctor or midwife don't go looking for it yourself because there's a lot of scare mongering (haha sp??) going on out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 laughingtoaster

littlebug is right, seeing the hearbeat is a very good sign. a lot of miscarraiges seem to occur because the baby doesn't really form properly so seeing a hearbeat is a very positive sign.

any spotting is called a threatened miscarraige - thats the terminology the medical
    people use. you could drive yourself demented wondering about what you did or didn't do & the associated risks. in my experience it doesn't matter, its either meant to be or not, and what you do or don't do has little or no effect.

Its useless to say don't worry, but hold on to the facts that the heartbeat is a very
    good sign and that many women have spotting or heavier bleeding and go on to have healthy babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi cathy,

Sorry you've had such a scare - hope everything works out.

There could be any number of reasons for a bleed .... If it's not tmi, can I ask if the blood you saw was bright red or a browner colour? Afaik brown spotting can be from an old bleed and may not mean a misscarraige.

I'd agree with others - stop googling!!! All you'll come across is worse case scenarios and horror stories. Your doctors and midwives are the best people to tell you what may or may not happen. All is not lost though - there is still a heartbeat and where there's as heartbeat there's hope!

I'll be crossing every finger and toe for you and shane tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

The other ladies speak the truth - sometimes google is NOT your friend, and researching pregnancy issues would be one of those times. It is an excellent sign that they haven't put you on pelvic rest and that you saw the heartbeat.. And please don't think you did anything wrong, so many women bleed in pregnancy! Do your best to avoid work related stress - no point in me telling you not to stress over the babs, I know you will anyway, but try not to overdo it ;) Just remember, you convinced yourself things were going very badly before and they weren't - very easy to do! Take it as easy as you can! Best of luck, I've my fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes crossed for you.

Sorry, was dragged to bed early by hubby! The colour was brown but I saw a tiny (I mean tiny) bit of blood on a tissue. He is trying to get me to take a half day today...was the only person in the office yesterday (as others were in meetings/on training/sick) but was also trying to get training...got a bit stressed when someone sent me a nasty mail. Sorry, did not sleep well last night. Without getting too gucky, there was no sign of an opening down there either. He just said to take things easy. TBH he was more impressed that I was capable of having a baby after my other surgery. Sorry, I am rambling. I was bonding with baby but now I am scared. I normally get hives around my period and was getting them again (is that time of the month again).

Sorry, I should add that work have been great, it is just that I am very conscientious and work very hard always.

• Advertisement

Ok, brown blood - see, that's good! The tiny speck you saw of fresh is most likely from a spot of irritation or something like that, happens all the time.

You should listen to your husband and take the half day. Yes, you are conscientious, but your health and that of the baby are more important than work, you know that.

Also, with the hives thing - I think experiencing your usual PMS type symptoms every 4 or so weeks is par for the course, certainly was for me. Without fail, something would turn me into a blubbering mess every 4 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

I had a threatened miscarriage at 8 weeks with my eldest daughter and bled for 6 weeks but scans showed strong heartbeat. I did the exact same as you (hadn't been given a lot of info at the hospital on threatened mc) so googled it the info that did come up terrified me to the point i was afraid to do anything in case i lost the baby eventually the bleeding stopped and had the baby one day after due date and she was a healthy 8lbs. You have to remember for all the bad news that goes with this kind of thing there is good news too maybe you should just take the week off and rest yourself. brown discharge is good as its a sign the bleeding is stopping as for the the period side effects I'm sorry but as soon as they stop you go straight into crazy pregnant lady mode (thanks hormones) so i'd enjoy them for now. best of luck with the baby and get to bed and relax!!:)

Well there has been more brown stuff and what looks like membranes - like the end of a period (not a lot though). I rang the hospital but was told not to go in - will be scanned on Friday in any case...will be a long few days. I did get a tiny bit of ordinary blood but that was only because I was rubbing so much. I am pretty much accepting that our little one is gone though the midwife thinks we are fine and I sort of trust her so am in two minds. Spent the afternoon asleep.

Continue with your life as calmly as possible and on Friday they will be able to show you if there is anything to worry about, you must be so sick of everyone telling you dont worry but try not to stress yourself out for the few days. to say they are not rushing you in is a good sign. they do not see it as a threat.

You have been stressing yourself over the last few weeks you are clearly just fearing the worst. Keep positive and try not let it eat at you and on Friday they will tell you everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 suzy5978

hiya cathy,i was just wondering if they checked your blood type.i bled very early in pregnancy too,but they gave me the anti-d injection and the bleeding stopped soon after.hope your ok x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 knuffles

Hi Cathy,
    I am pretty much in the same boat as you except I have been bleeding since week 5. I am now week 9 and have had 3 scans, all of which showed a healthy pregnancy. I have not been given any explanation as of yet what is causing the spotting / bleeding. I was fortunate enough to be able to move my OBGYN appointment to tomorrow and I am hoping to get some answers and some reassurance that everything is ok.
    Even though we delighted at seeing the heartbeat and were told the bleeding was not occurring anywhere near the baby we are still worried.

This is my second pregnancy, my first MC'd at 5 weeks so we are happy to be further this time.

It's easy to say it but try to relax. I have worn a path to the loo here in work and am sick of the pre-wipe nerves. It's a difficult time but we will get through it.

I wish you luck for Friday and will hope that we both have nothing to worry about.
    Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you Cathy. There's every reason to be very hopeful. Hope Friday comes quickly for you.

Had a scan this morning - baby still there but am having a normal period now (with the usual pain)...crazy...hubby and I are climbing walls!

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Had a scan this morning - baby still there but am having a normal period now (with the usual pain)...crazy...hubby and I are climbing walls!

I can't blame you :( What happens now, are you still seeing them on Friday?

Was speaking to the midwife - it looks like we are misccarrying :(

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Was speaking to the midwife - it looks like we are misccarrying :(

:( I'm so sorry for you both..

:( I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you CathyMoran... was there a heartbeat at the scan this morning??

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

Cathy dont loose hop until you know for sure. I had very heavy bleeding around 8 weeks into my pregnancy. Went straight to casualty and spent hours there only to be told there was nothing they could do and come back on the Monday. I freaked totally. I had had 2 previous misses and was convinced this was the 3. Had a scan on the monday and was told there was a heartbeat which was a good sign. Spent the next 2 weeks going back for scans and thankfully everything was fine.
    My sister had what was exactly like her period most months during her pregnancy.
    Stay positive until you know for sure. They are very resiliant little things in there. I hope everything works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Yep, same for a friend of mine, had a really heavy bleed & was convinced she was going to miscarry but today she has a lovely daughter.
    I have heard of some women who have had 'normal' periods right through their pregancy & had healthy babies at the end of it all.
    Hang in there & try not to worry yourself too much (I know...), hope you hear good news.

We went to the hospital, baby has no heartbeat so we had a missed miscarriage. We only saw the heartbeat this morning so it is very upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

My heart goes out to you Cathy. A terrible thing for both of you to have to go through. Look after yourselves.

A.

Oh Cathy and Shane I am so so sorry for your loss:(

Look after yourselves and each other

xx hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

I'm very sorry to hear about yer loss, hope ye are bearing up ok. M x

Oh hun, I'm so sorry... *big hug* if you ever need to talk we're all here for you.

You and Shane are in my thoughts.

Adrieanne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Really sorry to hear this Cathy. My heart goes out to you.

Advertisement