Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are You Worried About The Recession?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't really worry about it. I'm hoping it'll have eased by the time I've been through university.

Though I would really prefer not to have to emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

As fascinating as the contents of your wardrobes undoubtedly are, this ain't the Fashion and Appearance forum people. :p
    This thread is about impending economic doom remember? You lot aren't miserable enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

As fascinating as the contents of your wardrobes undoubtedly are, this ain't the Fashion and Appearance forum people. :p
    This thread is about impending economic doom remember? You lot aren't miserable enough...

Is that your subtle way of telling us all to PM you those pics of our wardrobes contents so? :pac: Oh squigloo, you charmer! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I am too. :( <that's me that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No but thank you for the not-in-the-least-bit-tempting offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm not that worried for myself. As long as I get into medicine and qualify as a doctor I should be ok. And that's something like 5/6 years down the line anyway. Everyone needs a doctor so I'd be employable anywhere (I hope). But what I really would like to do is R&D so I probably will end up emigrating at some stage.

I guess by biggest recession-worry at the moment is not being able to find a job in the Summer to earn money to see me through college.

Ah squigsy, how could you say no to this face?
    3179424542_a18d6d9326.jpg

:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Like this ...

big-no.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I also bought some sunglasses for 120€
    Words fail me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I get to live at home and spend my moneyz on books/booze/printing/transport. Yay the student life.

I have exceedingly bad timing. I dropped out of college in '04 and returned '07. I am doing a 4 year course.

Just as I decide to return to college, this country enters a recession. And if those nutjobs are right, then the world will end in 2012. So I'll have spent my college years in recession only to graduate to the world ending.

Damn.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't know, boney ... recessionary times when jobs are less plentiful is probably a good time to be back in college where you are somewhat protected from the realities of life ... and gaining a qualification to stand to you when you re-emerge.

The infamous sunglasses :D

3202098326_17e8b4df46.jpg

3201260821_a5a84dc061.jpg

:cool:

The infamous sunglasses :D

3202098326_17e8b4df46.jpg

3201260821_a5a84dc061.jpg

:cool:

Why did they cost 120€? They look like the ones ya can pick up for a tenner from Dunnes.

I once saw these awesome sunglasses that had an MP3 player built into them!

Those babies totally give you super-powers by the look of them :D

1 word:

Oakleys

1 word:

Oakleys

I still don't know why spent 120€ on them though?

Because I could? Seems a fair enough reason as any ^_^

Ah yes, the Bill Clinton approach to consumerism. Yes yes

• Advertisement

I suppose. Guess it's just me but I wouldn't spend that much on a pair of sunglasses, just because in all likelihood I'd just sit on them.

If I spent only 20-odd euro on a pair, I wont feel as silly/annoyed when that does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Spending €120 on sunglasses is idiotic,I could see if they actually had a use!
    You're living in Ireland?!!?

And to answer the original question: Yes,I'm very worried about the recession! :(

But emigration could be fun.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

no no of course not. its pretty unique becoz its a world wide recession. really there is not many places to go, remember australia has people living it as well who go to college and want jobs out of it.

italy and russia would be interesting, because italy has a very old population so you'd think there would be openings and russia needs immigrants(well last time i read). obviously your free to move to italy but you need the language, a barrier in itself.

i despise australia, canada and usa so if i was forced to id rather kill myself than emmigrate to those places.

i despise australia, canada and usa so if i was forced to id rather kill myself than emmigrate to those places.

Could you please elaborate on that?:confused:

The only problem with moving to the U.S is the Health System,just watch Sicko,its changed the way I think about America, drastically!

Canada and Australia look like great countries to live in that is,if you're lucky enough to get a job there.....

donmeister wrote: »
    Spending €120 on sunglasses is idiotic,I could see if they actually had a use!

What about that use eh...oh, I dunno, stopping the sun from blinding me? Seems like a valid use.. y'know, one you'd generaelly assoicate with sunglasses:pac: (well, when we get it >_> )

I'm not all that worried about the recession. As long as I keep my weekend job and not spend more than I earn per week, then it'll all be OK. Only thing I really need to pay is ESB and rent. Don't have a car and walk everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

donmeister wrote: »
    Could you please elaborate on that?:confused:

The only problem with moving to the U.S is the Health System,just watch Sicko,its changed the way I think about America, drastically!

Canada and Australia look like great countries to live in that is,if you're lucky enough to get a job there.....

USA has many more problems. I hate it...hate it. Canada and Australia are far better but not enough to convince me to swap any european city for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

There isn't much hope on this thread is there?
    I am a bit concerned about the old "downclimb" but as for emigrating?
    We should do what we did in the 80's to get out of the recession and all grow mullets.

grow mullets.

+1

Now there is a quality answer! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

In general for other people sake im extremely worried.

Already my uncle has lost his job and has been unemployed for about 6 months, he has 2 kids and they are struggling. I dont think people realise the seriousness of this whole situation until someone's family member or friend loses a job. Sure every day about 100 jobs are going in some part of the country and this is going to have some serious consequences in the future.
    On a personal level im not too worried about the recession becuase im studying environmental science and its probably one of the only sectors that is creating jobs at the moment and will be the least affected I presume. Its only going to become bigger and I plan on possibly going to Oz of NZ after i finish my degree to work or continue my study.

Advertisement