Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know who owns the Watershed?

Options
  • 09-01-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Anyone know who actually owns the Watershed, I thought it was a private venture for use by the Public but a friend reckons it's owned by the County Council and is to replace the old swimming pool. I've enquired up there as I have a query I would like to follow up on but even those working there claim not to know:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

As far as I know, the Borough and County Councils do.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

From what I have been told, the Watershed is a public building, and was financed as such, but is managed and run by a private company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TradMick84

to be honest it's pretty expensive, for a public ammenity. however, it is class... feels like more of a private owned business, as in its well run and v clean

• Registered Users Posts: 29 colsmiff

Its hardly expensive if you consider that a single membership is €510 per year or €45 per month by dd. I go to the gym 3 times a week, so about a tenner for three sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

It's a class place but is full of spotty stupid kids in the evening, I was in the steam room last week and the place was full of 16 year old boys who kept laughing, maybe the steam was getting to their heads :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

MassDeb8r wrote: »
    It's a class place but is full of spotty stupid kids in the evening, I was in the steam room last week and the place was full of 16 year old boys who kept laughing, maybe the steam was getting to their heads :confused:

Thats why im waiting untill feb to join to let them guys slowly stop going to the place and the new years resealution people fade away.

Nothing more than i hate is midage woman shouting on tredmills to there friend or people like that in the sauna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

The private gyms now are just as competitive as the Watershed and don't forget you can't actually do lenghts at 5 in the evening as the swimming have full use of the pool for over an hour. I was there and people were put out of the pool to accomendate the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Tried to get in several times over the weekend.

It was chaotic to say the least.

They were full to capacity for most of the day (Sunday) and then there was something wrong with their ph levels so everyone had to get out (apparently).

They had one person on the desk when there must have been 20-30 people queuing.

Bit let down by the running of the facility to be honest - anti climax comes to mind.

I was thinking of shelling out to become a member - but for that I want to be guaranteed to be able to go swimming when I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 exswimmer

I went on my first and last visit to the Watershed this evening. Myself and my husband paid our €8 to swim. After navigating the slippery changing room floors I went to the pool. It was packed. There was a class on and most of the pool was cordoned off.
    We quickly changed (couldn't dry my hair as the hair dryers were broken) and went outside to get a refund.
    A half and hour debate ensued with the duty manager telling us that it was not their policy to issue refunds immediately. We would have to fill in a form? Surely this is against every consumer act there is?
    She kept shrugging her shoulders and talked about policy, the fact that the law over rides these 'policies' escaped her.
    She was unable to tell me how many people they allow into the pool before they say it is full. Despite the fact that I was leaving because it was too full and dangerous, she kept admitting more paying customers in.

She also admitted that the floor was very slippery and dangerous, but seemed to think that it was still ok to let people in and have no warning signs.

My husbacnd began to speak very loudly and we eventually got a refund.
    Unless there are seriuos changes, I'll never go back

ex swimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

It's appearing more that this is a council run facility and not a private operation so they probably don't care too much about customer service as it's going to be publicly funded anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭HHH

The Watershed is owned and run by Kilkenny County Council.

As for Ex-Swimmer's comments above, there are bound to be some teething problems for the first month or two i.e. Broken hair driers etc...
    The slippery floor is unavoidable in a wet area, with the exception of laying flooring mats to improve grip.

With regard your refund, you were entitled to a full refund if the service provided was unacceptable. The staff up there seem to be fairly new to leisure centre work but should improve with time.

In my opinion, it is a Fantastic Facility and well overdue for the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

exswimmer wrote: »
    I went on my first and last visit to the Watershed this evening. Myself and my husband paid our €8 to swim. After navigating the slippery changing room floors I went to the pool. It was packed. There was a class on and most of the pool was cordoned off.
    We quickly changed (couldn't dry my hair as the hair dryers were broken) and went outside to get a refund.
    A half and hour debate ensued with the duty manager telling us that it was not their policy to issue refunds immediately. We would have to fill in a form? Surely this is against every consumer act there is?
    She kept shrugging her shoulders and talked about policy, the fact that the law over rides these 'policies' escaped her.
    She was unable to tell me how many people they allow into the pool before they say it is full. Despite the fact that I was leaving because it was too full and dangerous, she kept admitting more paying customers in.

She also admitted that the floor was very slippery and dangerous, but seemed to think that it was still ok to let people in and have no warning signs.

My husbacnd began to speak very loudly and we eventually got a refund.
    Unless there are seriuos changes, I'll never go back

ex swimmer
    Your ever so polite husband realises that she doesn't own it and is only doing her job??? How would he like it if someone came in shouting at him for doing his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pool1234

The Watershed is a privately managed company althought it was funded by the county council . I found the staff very friendly, one has to remember that the pool is very new and reception staff can not be blamed for electrical faults with hairdryers. I was there on Tuesday night and witnessed the ex swimmers exciting show her and her husband were extremely loud and very rude to staff, they first attacked the poor girls on reception instead of asking to speak with a manager. I am a regular user and if the lady had asked the reception staff they would have told them that they are arranging a timetable for the public that shows when schools,clubs are in and when lane swimming is available and hopefully they will have it by next week. try asking and not shouting and you might find that staff will be more friendly......

pool1234 wrote: »
    The Watershed is a privately managed company althought it was funded by the county council . I found the staff very friendly, one has to remember that the pool is very new and reception staff can not be blamed for electrical faults with hairdryers. I was there on Tuesday night and witnessed the ex swimmers exciting show her and her husband were extremely loud and very rude to staff, they first attacked the poor girls on reception instead of asking to speak with a manager. I am a regular user and if the lady had asked the reception staff they would have told them that they are arranging a timetable for the public that shows when schools,clubs are in and when lane swimming is available and hopefully they will have it by next week. try asking and not shouting and you might find that staff will be more friendly......

Hi Watershed Manager :pac:

If the Watershed is run by a private company, why is the manager part of kk council?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

As far as I know, the reason it's run/built by a private company is/was probably to do with claiming back VAT on the construction costs or something along those lines.
    Whatever about the technicalities, it's a joint county & borough council venture and was NDP funded etc.......

Glenmann Construction built it. KCC run it.

Kilkenny Local Authorities Leisure Complex Ltd.

mick_irl wrote: »
    Hi Watershed Manager :pac:
    member not manager

How much is membership?

Worth it?

HHH wrote: »
    How much is membership?

Worth it?

I think so single mem is 510 i think, i joined student mem 250 which I think is well worth it ... the gym is quiet during the day anytime i've been there only been there a couple of evenings though and they were very busy but again after jan I'm sure it will get quiet. Have to say didn't find the customer service as bad as everyone saying any staff I've dealt with were very friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EllaWhite

No totally agree with pool123.....I saw the ex swimmers rant well some of it ......the pool was busy but they were shouting at the receptionists ....no offence but if I had a complaint I would speak with a manager not abuse girls that have nothing to do with the running of the place............the couple were rude. i did ask about the slippy tiles though as i slipped in the changing rooms they do seem dangerous but i was told that they are trying to fix the problem...even the non slip mats would do temporarily..as they are so unhygienic

Hmmmmm - there's an awful lot of new posters here defending the Watershed.....

mick_irl wrote: »
    Hmmmmm - there's an awful lot of new posters here defending the Watershed.....

Agreed... Its odd alright.

I've heard from a few people now that they think a 50m pool should have been incorporated into the center.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well of course people would be so blown over by the wonderfulness of the Watershed that the first thing they feel like doing is to register on Boards and gush about it. :rolleyes:

Yes it's a pity they couldn't have put a full length swimming pool in but perhaps money didn't stretch to that. A pity though - there aren't many 50m pools in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Funny that, EllaWhite and pool1234 happen to share an IP address...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

Stephen wrote: »
    Funny that, EllaWhite and pool1234 happen to share an IP address...

ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

HAHAHAHAA
    God Dam Stephen you are too smart for your own good :D

That's a really good spot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Ouch!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 exswimmer

First off, we were polite to the manager. We were not shouting at the girls behing the counter. I clearly explained to them that I knew they were only doing what they were told and that they were not responsible for the policies implemented. The staff are doing their jobs as they have been asked. Many of them are doing a very good job.
    We took our case up with the manager.
    My husband raised his voice, he did not shout. Shouting is a threatening activity.
    He raised his voice, to get her attention as she was clearly trying to ignore the issue. As she repeated her mantra of 'its policy' we repeated ours of, 'give us our money back.'

If the managent of the watershed spent as much time online researching where to purcahse non slip mats as they do pretending to be paying customers defending the amenity we'd all be a lot safer.
    I have said my piece, I have made suggestions to the managemnet as to how they can improve what could be a fantastic facility. I hope they take constuctive criticism on board and respond accordingly.

Advertisement