Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a few questions about laser eye surgery

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

Can I ask what sort of medical questions do they ask when you go in for the initial test? Is it stuff like have you given birth, how long have you been wearing glasses, blood pressure, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dangerous One

hayser wrote: »
    Can I ask what sort of medical questions do they ask when you go in for the initial test? Is it stuff like have you given birth, how long have you been wearing glasses, blood pressure, etc?

Yeah, all the normal medical screening you'd expect for an operation: medical history, how long you've been wearing glasses, if you've given birth, if you have diabetes, previous eye injuries, etc.
    What you'd expect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dangerous One

Posy wrote: »
    Just reading about the LasEk here- do they recommend one over the other for certain types of eyes.

As the surgeon that did my surgery explained it to me, the main decider for Lasek over Lasik in my case was cornea thickness, I was only a marginal candidate for Lasik so he steered me towards Lasek.

Very happy with results nearly two years on. Slight 'haloing' from badly focused car lights at night but other than that no problems & certainly no regrets, my vision is better than 20/20 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Psydeshow

What's the best option in Cork?
    Hey guy, lookin into gettin this done in Cork at the moment as well. Had a consultation with Ultralase and Shandon clinic.

Ultralase people were nice but Shandon street consultation was with the actual surgeon which made a huge difference to me. He was able to answer all my questions a bit better than the nurses in Ultralase. But I'm still undecided as to where i'll get it done.

Anyone else gettin this done in cork or is it all Dubs in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

I mentioned laser eye surgery to my contact lens optician. He said I'd be a suitable candidate but that I would need reading glasses afterwards.

Now I know it's not in his interest for me to get eye surgery, but would there be any truth in this? I'm short sighted -4.75 in each eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 arbeloa

I had LASIK surgery done approximately 15 months ago and I'm still suffering with dry eyes and large floaters. It has been a disaster for me. I am hoping to form a group for people whose eyes have been ruined by this. So for people in a similar position my email is <snip>
    Remember if the surgery was so safe then there would be no need to sign a consent form. The complications on the consent form are there because they have happened to people before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 microfinance

Well I must say I have been very happy with my experience. The only drawbacks are you cant play any contact sports for a month afterwords and you cant exercise for a week. You cant wear contacts for a week before the surgery and you cant wear eye make up for a week after. (Im a girl by the way. so wearing eye make now whenever i want is brilliant!) I got mine done with Optical Express, had the consultation in Mahon Point, Cork and the actual surgery , in Newbridge, Co. Kildare. I am nearly 1 month post surgery now and its brilliant, back football training at the moment and delighted with the results!I still suffer from dry eyes at the moment but that is to be expected for another few months. I was -3 so it has made a huge difference to my life not needing to wear glasses and contacts. Also been able to go out on a night out and enjoy waking up the next morning without sore sticky eyes! Also if you want i can give u a voucher that gives you 150 off the cost of treatment with optical express, just PM me or reply on this thread. also be happy to answer any questions you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

you sign a consent form for any type of medical procedure....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Thibor

I had the LasIk done just under 3 years ago, and I have to say, it wasn't a problem, perfect vision from the get go.
    I had a corneal tear a few months back, so obviously I went to the opticians, and they said not only was it not related to the surgery, but that if I hadn't of told them I got the procedure done, they would never have known.

Advertisement