Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there STILL an oil cartel in Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

sgthighway wrote: »
    I hate Keith Finnegan but he tore strips off this Petrol Station owner in this interview <clicky>

Funny stuff. You'd almost feel embarrassed for the petrol station owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I rang around looking for oil today and there was a price diffrence of €40 between the most expensive and the cheapest!
    Eventually got 450L from Sutton Oil for €220.The average cost was €245.

Word is that OPEC intends to cut supply in March and that oil prices are expected to rise to around $75 a barrel over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Somewhat off-topic, sorry -- I'm looking to order more oil today. Never having lived in a house that uses OFCH before, I've no idea whether it's kerosene or green diesel we should be looking for. The boiler says 'when reordering ask for MGO' -- does anyone know which this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Roy Rogers wrote: »
    Somewhat off-topic, sorry -- I'm looking to order more oil today. Never having lived in a house that uses OFCH before, I've no idea whether it's kerosene or green diesel we should be looking for. The boiler says 'when reordering ask for MGO' -- does anyone know which this is?

Marked Gas Oil is green diesel

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Roy Rogers wrote: »
    I may be wrong here but MGO is Marked Gas Oil and I usually see it on green diesel pumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Great, thanks.

Back to the topic now, getting quotes from some of the suppliers mentioned above...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Just an update. Last time round, Excelsior, who were the cheapest oil company in town and who were meant to deliver 1000 litres worth of Kerosene to me (almost exactly 3 months ago), seemed to have a sudden and unexpected shortage of supplies and could only deliver 500 litres after all. As a result, we ran out of oil yesterday.

I've just been ringing around again for prices of 100 litres. Here they are:

McMahon Oil = 460

Corrib Oil/Kelly Oil/Suttons Oil/Hi-Way Oil/Gort Oil/Sweeney Oil/East Galway Oil/Rabbitt Oil = 450

Cloonan Oil/Galway Oil/Connell Oil/Texoil/ Connolly Oil/Mór Oil=440

Excelsior - 435

Oil Flow Carraroe = 430

I ordered from Oil Flow Carraroe as they were clearly the cheapest. (They deliver to Galway City). They said they'd deliver within the next 2 hours or so, so a quick delivery time.

Saved myself 30 euros for 15 minutes work.

If anyone is reading this and considering buying oil today, please get it from Oil Flow Carraroe, even if Corrib Oil and their likes (who were found guilty of being in the cartel) offer to match it (which they probably will if you ask. You don't get to the top of the food-chain without shrewdly stamping out a few crithers below you in the food-chain).

ONLY SUPPORT OIL COMPANIES WHO GIVE THE MOST COMPETITIVE QUOTE FIRST TIME ROUND AND WHO SEEM INDEPENDENT OF CARTEL INVOLVEMENT!

Oil company of the day is therefore Oil Flow Carraroe. 091-572324

OK, I'm probably being completely unfair and totally paranoid here, but I can't help wondering whether Oil Flow Carraroe's supplies suddenly and unexpectedly run out very quickly following this post...

I got The Inquisition (see the first post in this thread)from the following companies:
    Connell Oil
    Connolly Oil
    Texoil
    Excelsior

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

island wrote: »
    I've been working for Corrib Oil for the past 2 years and we provide an excellent service. I have snooped on Excelsior before but I heard from a neighbour they let him down - they were a day late delivering so his range quenched and he had awful trouble getting it re-lit. Corrib Oil have never let me (as an employee) down. Recently as part of a 'check on the competition' exercise I priced around different companies in Galway and we were the cheapest Excelsior wasn't far behind them but I wouldn't go back to them again as I can get 15% staff discount with Corrib.

I also visit many of the Corrib Oil Petrol Stations regulary. As part of our marketing strategy we have a new loyalty programme I have got loads of free cups of coffee from them (the boss buys a jar of Maxwell House every Monday) and i collect points for everything others buy when they forget to take their coupons with them. We will be giving loads of special offers through our loyalty programme when you buy your home heating oil from them (keep an eye on the local press for details).

We got rightly fcuked when we were caught by the competition authority too. I think the competition Authority needs to catch others now like Doctors, Pharmacys, Pubs ect its not just us who formed a cartel we were just the poor unfortunates to get caught and by Jebus are we bitter

FYP

:D:D

Thanks for the laugh, MaxFlower:D

P.S. Just got my oil delivery.

Lots of people ordering before the budget, just in case, I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Here's a link from the competition authority, it lists all 24 I think.
    The Competition Authority link is outdated but the info is still available on another page. http://www.tca.ie/EN/Enforcing-Competition-Law/Criminal-Court-Cases/Home-Heating-Oil.aspx
    Worth posting I think as this thread is being referenced in a related thread now. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74549411&postcount=426

• Advertisement

The Competition Authority link is outdated but the info is still available on another page. http://www.tca.ie/EN/Enforcing-Competition-Law/Criminal-Court-Cases/Home-Heating-Oil.aspx

Here is a quote from the above-cited webpage:

The case stands adjourned. No date has as yet been set.

Defendant Charges upon which convicted Sentencing Date Sentence
    Michael Flanagan 2 Counts of entering into an agreement to fix the prices of Home heating oil and Kerosene 02/03/2006 €3,500 fine
    JP Lambe 2 Counts of entering into an agreement to fix the price on home heating oil and kerosene. 06/03/2006 6 Months suspended sentence and €15,000 fine.
    Kevin Hester Nolle Prosequi 09/03/2006 n/a
    Alan Kearney Nolle Prosequi 09/03/2006 n/a
    Declan Geraghty Nolle Prosequi 09/03/2006 n/a
    Con Muldoon Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene)
    10/03/2006 €1,000 fine
    Muldoon Oil Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene) 10/03/2006 €3,500 fine
    All Star Oil Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene) 10/03/2006 €7,500 fine
    Mor Oil Fine for First count (gas oil)

Matt Geraghty Oil Fine for First count (gas oil)

Sean Hester Fine for First count (gas oil)

Hi-Way Oil Fine for First count (gas oil)

Kevin Cunniffe Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene) 10/03/2006 €1,500 fine
    Fenmac Oil & Transport Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene) 21/03/2006 €7,500 fine
    Michael McMahon Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene) 21/03/2006 €1,500 fine
    James Kearney Nolle Prosequi 25/04/2006 n/a
    Gort Oil Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene) 25/04/2006 €7500 fine
    Cloonan Oil Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene) 18/05/2006 €12,000 fine
    Ruby Oil Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene) 18/05/2006 €10,000 fine
    Corrib Oil Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Secound Count (Kerosene) 23/01/2007 €15,000 fine
    Tom Connolly Nolle Prosequi 23/01/2007 n/a
    Eugene Dalton Senior Fine for First count (gas oil)

Nolle Prosequi on Second Count (Kerosene) 23/01/2007 €10,000 fine
    Sweeney Rabbitte Oil Nolle Prosequi 09/05/2007 n/a

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Al0502

Had to get oil last week.
    Everyone I called was €820 for 1,000 litres.
    Is this a Co-incidence?

Advertisement