Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreams... the Future...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

lol @ clarkson island above...

emm, for a while I wanted to be some kind of musician, then realised I was fairly mediocre at that... then I was thinking about being a translator (don't know why to be honest...) and there hasn't really been anything very interesting since then... I'm in engineering now but I don't really know what I want to do afterwards... I wouldn't mind being a doctor for a day, just for the fun though. I'd love to make it as a comedian, but I highly doubt I'm good enough, anything in acting would be fun too :)

so umm, yeah, don't really have any big dreams right now, but it's certainly varied in the past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

When I was really young I used to dream of being spiderman!

When I got to about 10 or 11 I dreamt of being a world class footballer, but secondary school beats those irrationalities out of ya pretty quick!!

I drifted through secondary school until my junior cert, did well but had no real asprations at that stage.

Then I got to 6th year and wanted to do something big after my leaving cert. Ended up doing a course I thought I would definiatley love but due to having overworked myself in 6th year, I was incapable of studying now or enjoying college life at all. 2008 was the pits for me. I'm now 18, no longer in college and I'm not in control of my own mind any more. There is nothing now I really feel like doing with my life!! Sure no matter, just have to turn old and bitter about having wasted my life...I suppose in this deterministic universe, though, it couldnt have happened otherwise!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You probably didn't mean any harm by it, but the alzheimers quip is a bit unnecessary. Some people might be sensitive to that situation, if ya know what I mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

when i was younger i wanted to be a firefighter

as i got a little older wanted to do law

got a bit older again physiotherapy... that one has stuck

however thanks to obtaining a BA (Hons) degree looks like im headed for something entirely different.

the wanting kids thing i hope will happen when i meet someone who makes me want to start a family with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

When I was little I was always fairly rational, I was about the only girl in my class who knew that I had very little chance of being a pop star or a princess.
    I always kinda wanted to be a primary teacher or a vet. Now i'm half way through 1st year in a course I know I don't like and will hopefully drop out of but everybody thinks that it's just because college didn't turn out to be the way I expected it to be(which it didn't) but it's not that.
    Now I think I want to do secondary teaching...but really to be honest I'd love to be a housewife(I know everyone thinks I'm crazy) or an author(or a bit of both ;))

As for the love/family thing; as a child I always imagined that, like in all the american tv I watched) I'd meet my true love aged 15 or 16 and it would all go up from there. Now I'm 18 and have never had a boyfriend or any sort of romantic relationship and get overly excited when ever i think some one is vagauely interested in me. Oh...and I always have always will want lots of kids...like at least 4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

illiop wrote: »
    I always kinda wanted to be a primary teacher or a vet. Now i'm half way through 1st year in a course I know I don't like and will hopefully drop out of but everybody thinks that it's just because college didn't turn out to be the way I expected it to be(which it didn't) but it's not that.

May I ask, what course did you pick?
    I'm doing primary teaching at the moment, and I had an awful time in the first semester of first year. There's a huge difference in the mood after Christmas, I've seen it first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

An File wrote: »
    May I ask, what course did you pick?
    I'm doing primary teaching at the moment, and I had an awful time in the first semester of first year. There's a huge difference in the mood after Christmas, I've seen it first hand.

Oh I actually meant that I picked a completely different course...I was kicked out of honours irish in 4th year so that kinda put pay to that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well when i was younger my dreams were to be a pro soccer player or pro in any sport for that matter.

My dream now is to finish my Environmental Science degree and travel the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

When I was younger I wanted to be play for Man Utd, be a famous musician, then when Wimbledon came around I wanted to be a professonal tennis player, when the snooker championship came around I wanted to be a pro snooker player and when the Olympics came around I wanted to be a different professonal athlete every day! Now that I'm all growed up I've decided to be a doctor and I will definately have kids some day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

When I was little I thought I'd open a vet's with my then-best friend...then she moved to America and I grew out of the vet thing.
    Then I went through a phase believing I would be a pop star and imagined myself on the cover of Smash Hits, totally oblivious to the fact I hadn't a note in my head.
    Then I wanted to be an air hostess and would plan out my whole life (including marrying my crush from up the road, having like six beautiful, blond and blue-eyed children...I even named them all and estimated the gaps between each one :o). Then I was on a plane when there was an incident just as we were about to take off which sparked my flying phobia so that was air hostessing out the window!
    I also believed at various points that I would marry Ronan Keating, Zac from Hanson, Nick Carter, Aaron Carter etc. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I even named them all and estimated the gaps between each one :o).

I do that too :o

I even named them all and estimated the gaps between each one :o)
    Piste wrote: »
    I do that too :o

O_o

*backs slowly away from Boards*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well It's not like I tell my boyfriend about them at every possible moment :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

I wanted to do journalism when I was younger , I did it in CTYI when I was like, 8.

However I've wanted to work in NSA now for some time and that's stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

When I was younger I was fascinated by space. I wanted to be an astronaut. :p
    Then a radiologist.
    Then a Journalist.
    Then a Historian.
    Now I'm doing a course in Journalism. Funny.

In terms of relationships I think I didn't really think about them too much so being in one now isn't a huge surprise.

I always thought I'd be playing Rugby or Hurling in college though... stupid injuries...

Also once upon a time I wanted to live in America, now I want to move as far away from America as possible.

Kids, yes but I'm going to name them after Norse gods. (not that I'll have my way) I'm thinking THOR for a boy and Freya for a girl.

I think in 5 years time I'll be freelancing still, hopefully I can use my people in the know to get a job in a newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OK guys, New dream: To be Charlie Brooker

phasers wrote: »
    OK guys, New dream: To be Charlie Brooker
    Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

When I was a kid I was obsessed with Jurassic Park so for about 6 years my ambition was to be an archeologist.

Now my dream is to work on radio...I'd love to do a stint of djing and maybe move into current affairs! who knows?

Now my dream is to work on radio...I'd love to do a stint of djing and maybe move into current affairs! who knows?
    Get involved in your local community radio station, it's a great way to learn the ropes and get started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

i wanted to be:

princess
    dancer
    poet
    artist
    actress
    writer
    fashion designer

and now:
    book illustrator (or Princess-that dream will never die!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

eh i wanted to be a
    • vet
    • surgeon
    • scientist
    • work with computers
    • pro gamer

just got accepted to biochemistry UCC so hopefully that will be too my liking and then may consider vetinary after....the dream of a pro gamer will live on strong though..

want to travel the world too and start a family at some point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

When I was a kid I was obsessed with Jurassic Park so for about 6 years my ambition was to be an archeologist.

Is that not more paleontologist than archeologist? Anyway I was the same - loved Jurassic Park.

Now I've no idea what I want to do. I want to live somewhere like New York for a while though if possible. I want to do something in Science that actually helps further the field, instead of just working for a company making shampoo or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

just for the love of all things not f*cked... avoid working around animal experimentation!

and i suppose archaeology, if you're gonna be digging to find the dinosaur bones..

and my partner wanted to call his kid Thor... *shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Children, children,
    Future, future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Futurism wrote: »
    Anyway I was the same - loved Jurassic Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bim7RtKXv90

couldn't help myself:D enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bim7RtKXv90

couldn't help myself:D enjoy!

I'm gonna have to watch that soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I always wanted to write books, but I realised when I was about 13 that I just wasn't good enough......
    Until recently I wanted to be a journalist but everyone is saying that it's near impossible to get a job, and I'm not going to college just to end up on the dole at the end of it.
    So now I honestly have no idea, my only goal is to get through the leaving in one piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I've always wanted to be a journalist or a writer but the whole writer thing went out the window when my english teacher very nicely told me that my short stories made him have bouts of depression and could I stick to another type of essay that didn't involve everyone dying. So now it's journalism. Then I want to move to New York. Kids...:rolleyes:...not until i'm in my thirties or something.

• Advertisement

The trick to better writing is to read a wider range of good quality material. Short stories, novels, poetry, biographies, travel-logs, diaries, blogs, etc all offer different ways of telling a story. Learn how to use the good ideas (lose the bad ones) and integrate them with your own creativity. Practice makes perfect, and learning from constructive feedback, while sometimes very hard to do, is much more productive than being afraid to write at all. :)

Advertisement