Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you guys deal with a bad run?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It amazes me how stupid people are. You can't win against online companies.You only win when they want you to win. I did some work for a bookie recently and it was scary what he told me. There is no risk from their end. Their computer systems are so sophisticated you can't beat them.

You tell 'em man,you tell 'em.

But seriously FeetMagic,as has been said,be disciplined and only play when you feel you can play your best and get the head down and try and forget individual hands/beats.
    I know it's easier said than done but you have to start thinking of the long term.

Perhaps try doing something different like moving your roll to a new site or something less drastic like changing around your playing set up,just to freshen things up a bit in your head and shake you from the rut.

Is this bad run really affecting your game?
    Answer this question honestly to yourself,then ask it again.

As Van Dice has already said you really need to think seriously about bankroll management,losing half your roll in a week should never ever happen.

Good luck and remember we've all been there,and there can be no good runs without the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Best way to take your mind of a bad run is to set fire to something.Start off small,maybe a neighbours wheelie bin.Then move up slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Van Dice

Bluefoam wrote: »
    It amazes me how stupid people are. You can't win against online companies.You only win when they want you to win. I did some work for a bookie recently and it was scary what he told me. There is no risk from their end. Their computer systems are so sophisticated you can't beat them.

AHAHAH. pick any bookie, let me take their prices and I promise you I will beat them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

take a week off poker completely and do other things, see that there's more to life etc.

This is what Ive decided to do but probably for more than a week. Ive lost a good bit of the motivation I once had for poker and lately it just seems to have been a grind that I really havent enjoyed. Maybe Ive been playing too much just for the sake of playing, Im not sure. Ill see how the next week or two go and then decide my best course of action.

Van Dice wrote: »
    ^^ yeah, what Mr Plough said.
    Don't play when you don't feel like you'll be playing your A game.
    Though even running badly, I don't think you should have lost close to half your bankroll in a week. That sounds like really bad money management

I think it was bad BR management tbh but I play alot of live cash games too where it can be alot easier to lose big amounts when you're on a bad run because you dont want to leave the table when you know theres easy money on it. Honestly Ive never been too concerned about BR management and that probably has a lot to do with. Im always fond of "taking shots" as its referred to so thats something Ill have to look at too.

• Advertisement

doke wrote: »
    If you think it's affecting your game, it's definitely advisable to take a break. If it's not but it's affecting you emotionally more than is acceptable, then a break is also advisable.

A break doesn't have to be a total break. My breaks tend to take the form of doing something different, like play a crap load of low stakes super turbo headsup STTs, limit cash, Omaha or whatever. You can use your break to work on some specific aspect of your game, or learn a new variant. Reading during breaks is good too. It's also good to have some sort of support system with other players, who can help keep you focused on the big (long term) picture rather than short term losses/variance. It's also important to try to get an idea of whether it's really all just variance, or your game is off slightly.

Its hard to know if my game is off or if Ive been playing bad due to lack of confidence. To be honest I think its time I looked at different career options. I was never sure if professional poker was for me or if it was just a phase I was going through as Ive only been playing about a year. The money has been good but Im not sure I have the head for these bad runs and the ability to base my income on a game of cards. Hopefully after a week or two away from the game looking at other options Ill have a clearer idea.

Is this bad run really affecting your game?
    Answer this question honestly to yourself,then ask it again.

As Van Dice has already said you really need to think seriously about bankroll management,losing half your roll in a week should never ever happen.

Good luck and remember we've all been there,and there can be no good runs without the bad.

Yeah the bad run has completely affected my game. The last two or three days Ive played were sort of like playing catch-up trying to get my BR back to what it was only 10 days ago. And I think this is a terrible way to be thinking when playing poker. This too has added to my losses Im sure.

Anyway thanks for all the advice. Some very helpful posts here. Ill probably stay off this forum over the next week and try to put as little time as possible into thinking about poker. Good luck to the rest of you at the tables and away from them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

FeetMagic wrote: »
    Honestly Ive never been too concerned about BR management

You say you are playing full time?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

FeetMagic wrote: »
    Yeah the bad run has completely affected my game. The last two or three days Ive played were sort of like playing catch-up trying to get my BR back to what it was only 10 days ago. And I think this is a terrible way to be thinking when playing poker. This too has added to my losses Im sure.

Anyway thanks for all the advice. Some very helpful posts here. Ill probably stay off this forum over the next week and try to put as little time as possible into thinking about poker. Good luck to the rest of you at the tables and away from them!!

Good luck with the break and clearing your head, FM, you've always come across online as very level headed and likable so I'm sure you'll be able to get things into perspective and make the right decision for you. It's a hard and cruel game at times (and a beautiful and loving one at others).

You say you are playing full time?:eek:

Im playing full time in the sense that Im not working at present time but Ive only been doing this for about 4 months. Before that I was working and playing poker on the side. Its probably important to point out that Im quite young so poker may well just be a phase Im going through. Ill have to wait and see what else pops up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement