Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster v Ulster at Thomond Park, predictions anyone?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Teams have been named:

Munster: D Hurley; D Howlett, R Tipoki, L Mafi, K Lewis; R O'Gara capt, P Stringer; F Pucciariello, J Flannery, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll; D Ryan, N Ronan N Williams Replacements: D Fogarty, T Ryan, Coughlan, A Quinlan, M Prendergast, P Warwick, B Murphy.

Ulster: C Schifcoske; A Trimble, D Cave, P Wallace, T Nagusa; I Humphreys, I Boss; T Court, N Brady, BJ Botha, M McCullough, E O'Donoghue, S Ferris, K Dawson (Captain), R Diack Replacements: S Philpott, J Fitzpatrick, F Paulo, D Pollock, P Marshall, P Steinmetz, B Cunningham

Myself, not sure about Denis Hurley at 15, he has been prone to mistakes under the high ball this season, really has been shoved out of squad by the emergence of Earls at fullback. Good to see Tipoki back. Looking forward to see Humphreys vs ROG. Anyone have predictions for this game?
    We really need to pick up win after the loss in Galway and the Ospreys win in Cardiff.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

Denis hurley is a ridiculous call at fullback,they guy is shockingly bad player.

The way Ulster played Leinster he will be bombarded,although Earls has looked dodgy under the high ball aswell.I would have put howlett or warwick at 15 and Earls on the wing.The main reason would be that I dont think Earls should be playing 15 as for ireland kearney is a better option.

Earls will probably end up at centre but he would get good experience playing on the wing for a while.

Munster will win but not by much,7 points or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Jaysus is that Lewis i see getting a start?! He's been waiting a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stevo, hurley could be the next Iain Balshaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Goose81 wrote: »
    The main reason would be that I dont think Earls should be playing 15 as for ireland kearney is a better option.QUOTE]

Why should the best option for Ireland play any role in a Munster team selection?:rolleyes:

dan719 wrote: »

Why should the best option for Ireland play any role in a Munster team selection?:rolleyes:

Because Munsters main purpose along with every Irish provence is to develop players for the national team.
    You knew that already though.;)

Balshaw is ****e and hes still twice as good as Hurley will ever be.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that Hurley will go on a lions tour AND win a world cup =0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Goose81 wrote: »
    Because Munsters main purpose along with every Irish provence is to develop players for the national team.
    You knew that already though.;)

I know this is OFT but no it's not. If it were then no foreign players would be allowed to play for any of the provinces. Just because players are centrally contracted it does not follow that Munster etc are simply development squads for the national squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I'll make the first prediction then shall I??

Munster win by 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

Stev_o wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that Hurley will go on a lions tour AND win a world cup =0

Bit early to be writing off Hurley in only his first full season. Would gladly take a Balshaw clone.

sm.org wrote: »
    Bit early to be writing off Hurley in only his first full season. Would gladly take a Balshaw clone.

The guy is clearly a lost cause, im sure there's dozens of FB's in the AIL better then him. The funny thing is i remember seeing on MF forums one he played against Glouscester that he would be playing 15 come AI god great for a laugh those bunch are some times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

Munster by a handy amount, neither side looking too strong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If there is ANY chance of an upset here I'd be delighted. Table doesn't look too bad at the moment except for the Munster game in hand. Ideally Ulster by 8 points. Realisticly, Munster by 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

tickets on the gate?

zuroph wrote: »
    tickets on the gate?

no tickets available at the gate, the game is a sell out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

i have one, cant go.

The guy is clearly a lost cause, im sure there's dozens of FB's in the AIL better then him. The funny thing is i remember seeing on MF forums one he played against Glouscester that he would be playing 15 come AI god great for a laugh those bunch are some times

I agree 100%

My prediction: Hurley to play ****e but Munster to get a bonus point win

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paddy353

I think hurley is good, but earls should be at 15. Much more creative, and gives more confidence when ball is in his hands. Howlett and earls could form a wicked counter attacking partnership, with dowling to do the 'work' (As much work as a winger can do :p:p)!

Ps. Niether Hurley or Earls are bad players, infact both are brilliant players that will be refined, both are very raw talents in terms of International and hieneken cup. ML is where these players have to develop fully, and BOTH have to play these games to build 'Big Game' Temperment!

PPs. If your a supporter why would you belittle young players who are rising stars??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

paddy353 wrote: »
    I think hurley is good, but earls should be at 15. Much more creative, and gives more confidence when ball is in his hands. Howlett and earls could form a wicked counter attacking partnership, with dowling to do the 'work' (As much work as a winger can do :p:p)!

Ps. Niether Hurley or Earls are bad players, infact both are brilliant players that will be refined, both are very raw talents in terms of International and hieneken cup. ML is where these players have to develop fully, and BOTH have to play these games to build 'Big Game' Temperment!

PPs. If your a supporter why would you belittle young players who are rising stars??

Hurley looks like he won't make the grade judging by almost all his performances for Munster and he is 24 years old so is hardly a youngster.It seems, even in these professional times, there is an advantage to playing for Cork Con to say the least.Earls is an excellent prospect with a lot of talent who just needs more experience.He is however IMO not a full back.He can do a job there though and offensively is a serious weapon but he does have defensive lapses or frailties which may or may not be sorted as he gains more exposure.Ultimately his position appears to be at 13 but I would be in favour of playing him on the wing with Howlett moving to full back.Great player as Howlett is/was his lack of sheer pace is not helping him on the wing now.I think Munster would be best served by having Warwick at 12.The control,kicking,distribution and decision/play making he would offer there would be in stark contrast to the headless activities of Mafi who is incapable of doing anything other than attempting to dance his way through, which sometimes works a treat to be fair, and when this fails he reverts to a bash it up the middle game.He rarely passes effectively simply because he is not able to.

Just because you are a supporter you should not be blind to the failings of the players regardless of what age they are.

As to the question I believe Munster will edge a tight hard fought game.It could come down to penalty goal kicking and ROG has the advantage here even if the rest of his game is not in tip top shape recently.The danger I see is if Ulster manage to get a good bit of possession their creatively superior midfield with Wallace and the outstanding Cave in very good form.The main downsides I see for Ulster are Boss(can be decent enough but has the ability to have a nightmare), the full back Schifcoske who looks a bit dodgy and the front row which in the absence of Best could be under a lot of pressure.Nagusa and Trimble on the wings are both dangerous runners.I think it might be a mistake from Matt Williams not selecting the excellent Pollock as well as he would have a field day against a good but not brilliant Munster back row.Of course he wanted Dawson to captain the side in the absence of Best and of course Pollock will probably come on in the second half.Ferris I'd say will love this type of game and he is capable of doing a lot of damage.Hmmmm I've nearly talked myself into changing my mind and predicting an Ulster victory but for their away record of the last few years.

dan719 wrote: »
    I know this is OFT but no it's not. If it were then no foreign players would be allowed to play for any of the provinces. Just because players are centrally contracted it does not follow that Munster etc are simply development squads for the national squad.
    Yes it is.
    They allow foreign players in to help the provinces compete in europe,because our playing pool is so small,look at the 10 situation as an example.

Cheika is probably under immence pressure to give sexton gametime and im sure the IRFU has influence on what position players are bought etc for every province.

Do you think they are paying their wages for the laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

What crap. Its posts like this that insure this forum has no rationale debate.

Please name 3 fullbacks out of your "dozens" in the AIL that are better than Hurley. I cant even think of one, and I know the league very well...

He's been a standout performer at that level for a number of seasons now and has also done well in A games this year.

What depth of players do you feel Irish rugby has to choose from exactly that we can write off a guy at 24 who has just completed his first 12 months on a full time pro contract?A guy who ousted Sean Payne,one of the most consistent fullback performers in Europe the past five years, from the Munster team.

Do you not feel Toulouse,the best team in France last year, may have been able to target a"lost cause"? Explain to me how any team can win a HC final with one at fullback actually, can you?

Thankfully the likes of you have no input into Irish rugby,apart from spiteful,bitter posts on the internet. DK, our current national coach had faith in him, yet you have him as a "lost cause". Plenty of guys go through 2nd season syndrome, and given the success Hurley got so quickly, its no wonder he has dipped a bit this season. He has the natural talent, and now will be a good test of his mentality

• Advertisement

llcoolj14 wrote: »

Please name 3 fullbacks out of your "dozens" in the AIL that are better than Hurley. I cant even think of one, and I know the league very well...

He's been a standout performer at that level for a number of seasons now and has also done well in A games this year.

What depth of players do you feel Irish rugby has to choose from exactly that we can write off a guy at 24 who has just completed his first 12 months on a full time pro contract?A guy who ousted Sean Payne,one of the most consistent fullback performers in Europe the past five years, from the Munster team.

Do you not feel Toulouse,the best team in France last year, may have been able to target a"lost cause"? Explain to me how any team can win a HC final with one at fullback actually, can you?

Thankfully the likes of you have no input into Irish rugby,apart from spiteful,bitter posts on the internet. DK, our current national coach had faith in him, yet you have him as a "lost cause". Plenty of guys go through 2nd season syndrome, and given the success Hurley got so quickly, its no wonder he has dipped a bit this season. He has the natural talent, and now will be a good test of his mentality

Rob Kearney and Luke fitzgerald are both natural fullbacks.
    Earls can play there,so can tommy bowe,geordan murphy,girvan dempsey and others.

He is an absolutely ****e player and at 24 improvement will be marginal.

As for this forum having no rationale debate,what a laugh coming from an active member of munsterfans.

llcoolj14 wrote: »

They did every ball they shipped to him they won it back, he had a nightmare and his team mates bailed him out.

Look at this lovely positional play by him just amazing

;)

Dont forget his highlight reel here

Gets even worse when you look at the CC where he was made a fool of defensively and in the air.

If you can start listing stand out performances by Hurley go ahead i doubt there are many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

People holding out for Hurley to become a great player or the same type of people holding out for Sexton to become a great player. Neither is really going to happen. Both can do a job, but will never be international class.

Of Irish players who would be selected at full back depending on combinations for example Kearney, Dempsey, Murphy, Fitzgerald, Earls, Duffy & maybe even Staunton, Bowe & Johne Murphy would be ahead of Hurley in the pecking order.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Ya Hurley's confidence took a huge knock after the HEC final and the howler he had but still a very good player. Are we so quick to forget his fist little gem on his first start last year?

Nukem wrote: »
    Ya Hurley's confidence took a huge knock after the HEC final and the howler he had but still a very good player. Are we so quick to forget his fist little gem on his first start last year?

Anyold player can grubber why it was described as "amazing is beyond me". If anything it shows he's very slow as he is caught by a player who just made a bump in the midfield. A gem of a player would of scored it himself.

Anyold player can grubber why it was described as "amazing is beyond me". If anything it shows he's very slow as he is caught by a player who just made a bump in the midfield. A gem of a player would of scored it himself.
    "grubber" to that level of precision, with that amount of foresight....

zuroph wrote: »
    "grubber" to that level of precision, with that amount of foresight....

Any back should be able to do that and judging by his performances after it was a once off.

O'Gara does a Paddy Wallace :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Anyone got a stream on this?

• Advertisement

castie wrote: »
    Anyone got a stream on this?
    i dont but justins mate is watchin it on tv, kostaz007 is his name.... ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement