Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strongman

Options
  • 30-12-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

am looking for someone interested to do strong man training with. in the Dublin area would love to find someone with some experience. i have some weights and other bits. no time waster or weirdos please

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Have you strongman equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Hanley wrote: »
    Have you strongman equipment?

Hanley leave him alone he said "no weirdos":p On a serious point Hanley has asked a very important question , you really do need strong man equipment to train for strong man events , cant just train like a power lifter and then expect your body to cope with the different strong man events :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I'm sure weirdos don't know they're weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

big_poppa a member called Mickk owns www.irish-lifting.com and probably knows people. He was involved with the strongman event at toysforbigboys.
    cant just train like a power lifter and then expect your body to cope with the different strong man events
    Yes, I saw a Scandinavian interviewed who said the only bar weights he did were deadlifts & squats, all the rest was training events.

They showed the UK even again over xmas. The winner Glenn Ross was doing overhead dumbbell presses with a single 160kg "daddy" dumb bell!, and it was a thick bar. Shocking to watch. Some couldnt do a single one. All the otherguys had to steady the dumbbell before doing single presses, then stabilise again every time. This guy did 1, steadied it, and then knocked out about 8 unassisted reps in a row straight after :eek:

EDIT: This here is saying 65kg http://www.irishstrongman.com/competitions/viewdetails2.asp?ID=1
    The Daddy Dumbbell x 1 competitor
    (10 stone) 65kg for reps, Arnold Rule
    I am almost certain the commentators said 160kg, since I was so shocked when I heard it first time, so paid more attention and think it was mentioned a few times. 65kg jmakes more sense, dunno what the usual records are for this.

This is a pic of it
    UlstersStrongestMan_36.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35 big_poppa

At the moment i have about 150 kg plates will have keg's in day or two hopefully going to fill em to make em heavier. Going to make a few sandbags too and will start buying extra bits as time goes on its a work in progress at the moment but you have to start somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭COH

Go onto www.teamtestforum.com and look for a guy that goes by the username 'farmer'. He's trained for and competed in strongman events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gottaluvlabs

im in limerick i have alot of equipment as i make it i have competed you need to do 4 or 5 days in the gym and 1 or 2 days eventin a week you dont need a whole pile of kit to start if you need advice you can pm me for my mobile no. im happy to help if i can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi gottaluvlabs

I would recommend that you remove your mobile number from your previous post and instead PM your number to the OP.

Even given that you are a Strongman Competitor, so probably a big guy, I would still advise against giving out your number on a public forum on the internet.

Best Regards,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EliteSC

I train at a place near connelly station, 10 euro per strongman session, email them elitestrengthconditioning@gmail.com

cheers lads havent been on this in awhile will look into both there lads thanks

• Advertisement

EliteSC wrote: »
    I train at a place near connelly station, 10 euro per strongman session, email them elitestrengthconditioning@gmail.com

what days do they train on?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

My flatmate runs a strongman class for all levels at Raw Gym (Portabello). He's competed and all, so should know what he's talking about. You can either give Raw a call and leave a message for Conor or turn up next Thursday at 8pm.

Advertisement