Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2009 Forecast/Analysis of the oncoming blizzards

Options
  • 30-12-2008 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭

A New Year dawns and therefore time to start off the 2009 Boards Weather League.

Will Nacho be topped from his crown or will the honour and the glory be returning back east :P

Thanks to everyone for the ideas in the thread started by Danno recently.

The main points i think that I'd like to take into that are :-

1) A seasonal question with a fair amount of points that gives everyone a chance - should have some element of skill I think though too, will revisit that later after I've had a think about it
    2) Less "random" questions but keep the fun element - will keep one fairly silly topical prediction in there per month.
    3) Regarding the question of stations will be used, I'm going to take my figured from the Monthly Weather Summary reports as they get issued early in the new month and the Bulletons for the seasonal stuff, these seem to lag by a couple of months in general but is the fairest way to go, loads of interesting stats in them to play with too so i reckon is a useful resource.

Deep Easterly has kindly offered to provide the mean monthly temperature as per his calculations previously.

So here's the first set of questions for the new season :-

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary?
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary?
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month?

I'll start a seperate thread for a winter season mega question later once i've thought of something semi sane!! :D

Best of luck to all and Nacho, tell the engraver that Annamoe is spelled AN NA MOE, he'll need to know that shortly :P :pac::pac:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'll get the ball rolling on this, first of the year woohoo!

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 14.1°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -6.7°C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 5.3°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 75%

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 14.4°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -5.2°C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 5.7°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 85%[/QUOTE]

by the way thanks supercell for all the effort you put in to post the entire years competition poll's , keep an eye on the participants, tot up the scores and re-print updated competition standings evey month !!

all very, very time consuming. so it's appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 11.4°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -4.2°C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 7°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 105%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

max jan temp 13.5c min jan temp -7 mean temp 6c % rain 88 see how this pans out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

okay, i shall have my first ever bash at this;

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 13.1°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -7.6°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 78%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 12.5°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -7.5°C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 7°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 11.4 C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -11.4 C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 3.3 C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 22%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 12.2c
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -5.9c
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 4.9c
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 83%

Given the superb predictions above, it's only natural that I will be the winner of the competition in 2009. :D:P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 13.7°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -7.1°C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 5.5°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 110%

Since it's my lucky day today...
    madeofwin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 12.3
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -8.7
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature 5.9
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 76%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary?: 13.6°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary?: -7.2°C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature?: 5.1°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month?: 85%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 12.9°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -6.1°C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 5.1°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 68%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 11.9°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -7.2°C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 4.1°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 58%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 9.9C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -6.7C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature 5.9C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 66%

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 12.4c
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -7.2c
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature 6.4c
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 66%

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭dasa29

Just Thought i would give this a try.

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 12.2c
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -7.0c
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature 5.2c
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 95%

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caz34

Maybe to let but

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 14.3c
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -5.6c
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature 5.8c
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month?110%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Sorry about being late and all...

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 11.9°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -10.3°C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 4.8°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 85%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Crap, didn't see this till now-sorry.

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 12.3c
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -9.5c
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 5.0c
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 70%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 11.9c
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -6.5c
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature? 5.2c
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 45%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 12.7C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -8.7C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature 5.8C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 90%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary?
    10.9C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary?
    -5.7C
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature
    6.6C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month?
    78%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 14.9°C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -7°C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 45%

Last votes by midnight..later ones will be ignored!!
    I'll do up the 2008 final league table tomorrow as i plan on getting hammered tonight whilst watching crappy movies and probably writing crap i'll regret in the morning, good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭kindredspirit

Blast. I was away.

Can I sneak in? please?

Max temp: 13.0°C

Min Temp: -5.8°C

Mean temp for month: 5.8°C

% of normal rainfall in Shannon: 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭jd

damn and me

1) What will be the maximum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? 12.9C
    2) What will be the minimum recorded temperature be during January as per the Monthly Weather Summary? -7.9c
    3) What will be the mean monthly temperature 5.1C
    4) What will be the rainfall % of normal be in Shannon Airport for the month? 82%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

WC, Trogdor, SC, any updates for this competition? Will it run in February?

Danno, i'll do up a January table as the entries are already in for that.

I'm undecided whether to continue as it reminds me of what's gone before a bit if you get my drift..

It is a bit of fun and if there is an interest I'll continue it as I found it interesting that despite the weather being pretty random (imho) and the questions being pretty random too, forecaster trends still emerged.
    The inner nerd in me is curious if that would continue, but I digress a bit!
    What do you folks think, should we keep the Boards Weather League going for 2009 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭kindredspirit

Although I'm pretty useless at it, I'd like it to continue.

It adds more interest to the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If it's a lot of work to keep this going, might I suggest a monthly temp forecast for one site, like perhaps Casement or Shannon, there isn't a huge spread of anomalies in Ireland in the average month, and that would be interesting enough. The 1971-2000 average for the station selected would be the basis for the forecast in that case.

Just a suggestion, because I can see the current format needs considerable effort and I'm not sure that 90% of the interest wouldn't continue into this much simpler forecast challenge. You could have a bonus question like what's the rainfall going to be on the 25th at one station, and that could be worth ten per cent of the points.

Advertisement