Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses that have closed and opened in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I always find it starange how the nationalist never has good news stories in its pages!!!

No mention of new staff at Currys, supermacs, no mention that doyles took on 50+ staff in 2006 / 2007, no mention that dunnes took on 30+ staff in their recent expansion.

That's why I don't buy the nationalist anymore - they simply want to run down what is a fairly decent town to live in. They always look on the worse side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

darc wrote: »
    I always find it starange how the nationalist never has good news stories in its pages!!!

No mention of new staff at Currys, supermacs, no mention that doyles took on 50+ staff in 2006 / 2007, no mention that dunnes took on 30+ staff in their recent expansion.

That's why I don't buy the nationalist anymore - they simply want to run down what is a fairly decent town to live in. They always look on the worse side of things.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

darc wrote: »

+1

There was a letter saying as much in the paper this week too. Pointed out the new businesses that have opened on Tullow street and Subway's planned expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

i see Golden discs is closing down also, after 15 years in Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

FOR REALL? also currys are already letting off some staff. as well as woodies staff being put on 4 day weeks.

• Advertisement

aynon wrote: »
    FOR REALL? also currys are already letting off some staff. as well as woodies staff being put on 4 day weeks.

yeh for real, they have a sign up, and a big clearance sale on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Any update on this story? Less than a year after it opened it looks like Homebase is on its way out of Carlow with its staff currently on protective notice.
    Not surprising considering the snotty attitude of staff at the Carlow branch.

I bought a bathroom cabinet and DIY sundries there last Sunday...and I thought they were ignorant in Dublin?!? Never came as close as walking from a checkout as I did then.

patrickc wrote: »
    yeh for real, they have a sign up, and a big clearance sale on.

to golden discs!

I bought a bathroom cabinet and DIY sundries there last Sunday...and I thought they were ignorant in Dublin?!? Never came as close as walking from a checkout as I did then.

more detail please? what time was it? how many tills were open? where did you purchase it? was it mezz or shop floor till? what exactly was wrong? did you ask to talk to the manage to try and rectify the situation?

i personally think the homebase staff in carlow are great, way better than woodies and it's a tidier shop also
    to golden discs!

only for the crap they've left

• Advertisement

i persoanlly think the homebase staff in carlow are great, way better than woodies and it's a tidier shop also

only for the crap they've left

thanks patrickc!
    also wonder if they have any t-shirts left?

thanks patrickc!
    also wonder if they have any t-shirts left?

think they had some, but don't think they were reduced, like half of all the shelves are empty

noticed going in to graigue, mulligans pub(i know an old mans pub, still) and the "staying inn" offy both closed and barred up.
    :(

noticed going in to graigue, mulligans pub(i know an old mans pub, still) and the "staying inn" offy both closed and barred up.
    :(

i noticed the office closed ages, didnt know the pub was too

i noticed the office closed ages, didnt know the pub was too

well the front windows were all boarded up, and the doors were closed at 7pm this evening......

nich gudt.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Can someone confirm if Discount Tyres has closed?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I don't really believe this but I heard a rumour that Tesco Tullow is closing down, anyone hear that?

like you said, i think that its just a rumor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ok I believe you aynon!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ozypozy

Heard some whispers about tesco in Tullow closing too. Has the supervalu closed in Carlow and Tullow as well?

• Advertisement

ozypozy wrote: »
    Heard some whispers about tesco in Tullow closing too. Has the supervalu closed in Carlow and Tullow as well?

nope the supervalue in carlow mearly moved out beside the pres college to a pretty, clean new shop, its lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Tesco in Tullow got Planning Permission last month to build a Petrol Station so I can't see why they would close.

yes. that would seem odd. closing when you expect to expand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Supervalu in Tullow is open and flourishing, the Tesco seems to be mostly empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Supervalu in Tullow is open and flourishing, the Tesco seems to be mostly empty.

I heard lots of people saying very recently that prices in Tesco are very high, so that could be the switch to Supervalu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

ozypozy wrote: »
    More chance of the Tesco in Tullow closing than the Supervalu I would think? Tesco never terribly busy in Tullow. Supervalu is ticking by I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

think they had some, but don't think they were reduced, like half of all the shelves are empty

Went by golden discs today, pretty much nothing left, most of the shelves have been taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Everytime I go down through the town I see another business has closed. Twice this week I saw shops have closed down.

I wanted to set up a thread to acknowledge the amount of them that have/are closing.

Pubs first: Finnegans, Lennons, Brown St Bar, Buzz's and the Cellar. Any others.

The shops that jump to mind are: Sasha (gone into liquidation), Rainbow Records, Golden Discs, Spar (is it) beside the barracks, Vila clothes in the Fairgreen.

What other businesses/restaurants etc, can people remember closing in the last while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

SPAR Tullow Street is most definitely closed up. It was only open for 9 and a half months. I believe they were not generating enough sales to keep the business afloat.

Well in fairness now I dont know anything about running a shop but the location was totally wrong for a convenience store. No parking outside the shop and not a whole lot of people generally on that street. hey sure isnt centra just around the corner too.

• Advertisement

itsonlyme wrote: »
    SPAR Tullow Street is most definitely closed up. It was only open for 9 and a half months. I believe they were not generating enough sales to keep the business afloat.

Well in fairness now I dont know anything about running a shop but the location was totally wrong for a convenience store. No parking outside the shop and not a whole lot of people generally on that street. hey sure isnt centra just around the corner too.

yeh exactly and there deli was way overpriced IMO. I know they were close to st pats, but they wouldnt attract students with over pricing

Advertisement