Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi in cork?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

any half decent sushi place in cork? I could do with a bit of raw salmon :p
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Isn't there meant to be one by UCC? I can't eat seafood so I don't know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I'd love to know as well!
    What about Wagamama? Anyone tried it, per chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Im actually lookin' for a decent sushi restaurant.
    Wagamamas is not sushi, i don't really think much of it their either.

down by the UCC?? where..

I didn't know, Miss Shadow, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Wagamamas definitely doesn't do sushi anyway unfortunately. There is a restaurant called The Ivory Tower off Oliver Plunkett Street and they do sushi sometimes. There is a guy alright that does sushi in UCC, there's a market every Monday I think and he does it there, good effort in fairness but no offense to him the sushi is only very average. Marks and Spencers does little packs of sushi also. They have nice sushi in Cafe Paradiso also but no sashimi in it as its a veggie restaurant. Would love a good sushi fix myself but don't know of anywhere else in Cork that does it.

• Advertisement

mimihops wrote: »
    There is a guy alright that does sushi in UCC, there's a market every Monday I think and he does it there, good effort in fairness but no offense to him the sushi is only very average.

Is there a market every monday in UCC? Where? What times? TY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

fish stall in the engrish market does sushi. its neither incredible nor cheap as free but its far from awful.

not a restaurant i know but pretty good, and if you buy more than a few pieces they usually throw in some free stuff, fish tureen/shrimps etc

I found a place! Too bad I don't know the streets names, excuse-me! anyway, it's a small place that sells sushi to take away in one of the small streets going towards the city center from the South Mall. I sisn't try it, and it seems quite expensive to me...but like all the food in Ireland, in the end...if someone tries, let us know! :)

Thank you for the info about the sushi in the English Market.
    I know it's OT but could someone tell me which day it's the market at the college? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

hey Tirabaralla, the market in UCC seems to be stopped at the moment but will probably start up again in Spring. It was just a small little market with bread, the sushi guy and a few other stalls. Must have a stroll around those South Mall streets to find the sushi place, would like to try it.

Thanks for the info, I was there before once, when I was a tourist, but couldn't remember what day it was, so I was asking...I hope I'll still be here in spring...gotta find a job! ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

http://www.dharmas-deli.com/

Hope this helps.

This is the place I was blabbing about, Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

No probs. :)

Keep meaning to go there. Let me kow what its like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Got all excited about this place, havent had some decent sushi for about a year! Went to try it after my exams today, thought I deserved and treat and the place was closed :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Got all excited about this place, havent had some decent sushi for about a year! Went to try it after my exams today, thought I deserved and treat and the place was closed :mad:

closed for good or just closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

They're closed on Mondays.

Can't wait to give them a try, but their website gave me a laugh:
    Nigiri-zushi (hand-formed sushi)
    This is the most typical form of sushi in restaurants[citation needed]. It consists of an oblong mound of sushi rice that is pressed between the palms of the hands, with a speck of wasabi and a slice of fish called neta draped over it.

If you're going to copy and paste your content from Wikipedia, at least delete the [citation needed]s!

wikipedian_protester.png

Gauge wrote: »
    They're closed on Mondays.

Can't wait to give them a try, but their website gave me a laugh:

If you're going to copy and paste your content from Wikipedia, at least delete the [citation needed]s!

Yep...honestly they don't look very "into sushi"...I didn't taste it yet, though...it's just my impression...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 NatWW

Hi all,

Having moved from Dublin to Cork to follow my hubby, I was more than depressed to discover that there isnt many sushi places around in the city (if any).

I have tried the ones from the fishmonger at the English market and, as someone rightly pointed out already, they are ok - neither fantastic nor bad.

Yet, I am still craving the atmosphere of a nice japanese restaurants and all the delicacies it has to offer.

Anyway, I resorted to making sushi at home now to satisfy my craving. I get all the main ingredients online (from a London shop) and the raw fish in the English Market.

It takes a bit of time to prepare but is highly enjoyable.

However, I will still check Dharma's Deli out to see what the sushi are like. Fingers crossed!

NatWW

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The Ivory Tower restaurant used to do a sushi menu on either Monday or Tuesday nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

I think it was Tuesday that the Ivory Tower used do a sushi menu. I haven't been there for a while, but they usually had a sushi appetizer on the menu at weekends.

I miss the Japanese restaurant on Emmet Place - sushi was pretty good, but unfortunately the place was always empty. My weekly visit wasn't enough to keep it open...

I found a place! Too bad I don't know the streets names, excuse-me! anyway, it's a small place that sells sushi to take away in one of the small streets going towards the city center from the South Mall. I sisn't try it, and it seems quite expensive to me...but like all the food in Ireland, in the end...if someone tries, let us know! :)

i finally got some there today. 2 dutch beoirs running the shop but i didn't let on i could understand em :cool: it wasn't half bad sushi, not quite as good as Yo Sushi but it will do. the miso soup had a bit too much salt in it I think. tis good to finally get a bit of raw fish anyway although its a complete rip off to compared those 'wasabi' stands they have in england.. 1.60 for 1 bit of nigiri, 2.75 for one with eel

Thanks for the info , *insert corkish word for lad*!
    I saw the prices and was a bit scared...but if it's not bad...once in a while it can be nice ^_^ Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I think the one ye're on about there is on Marlboro st, connecting the south mall to oliver plunkett st. Down the side of AIB. Can't for the life of me remember the name. It's next to Smiley Dogg Tattoo studio and Olliewood skate shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

NatWW wrote: »
    Yet, I am still craving the atmosphere of a nice japanese restaurants and all the delicacies it has to offer.

Me too! Plum wine!!!! yum! There is a gorgeous Japanese restaurant in Killarney, pity they can't manage one in a big city!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Dharmas-deli isn't too bad. And they care for their customers too. Or atleast when i wen't there.

I had a new years bash at my place. Ordered a platter of mixed sushi. Thing was that one girl attending the party is allergic to red fish. We explained how utterly important it was to keep everything separated. And the lady behind the counter explained everything about how the processed stuff, and even showed us the kitchen and stuff.

Very professional, and very tasty. :)

(Too bad i only managed to get 5 pieces out of 60 since everybody robbed the platters at the party.) =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alphaboy73

check this out sushi

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Declan O

Everything Japanese has to be imported, the price of transport is for a small pallet €250,- and Ireland doesn't have everything like they have in the UK!!
    Catering with 20 shops or more for 25 million consumers is something else then a few shops catering for a small population of 4 million consumers.
    You can't compare that, big buyers get big discounts!
    I think it's great that they are taking the risk to do this, they are nice people and educated too, so I think we all should support the effort and not to be negative, at least, that's what I think.

i don't think they import it from japan. not much of it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kolstruck

Just had to rave about Dharmas Deli - went there today for the first time and I can't believe I've been missing out on their food until now!! I got a mixed platter with 7 different sushi pieces and wasabi, and it was probably the most delicious thing I've had for well over a year...... I can't wait to go back - the platter I got was 7.50, pretty much the average price of any take away dinner. Sooo impressed!!

Advertisement