Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys and Dixons 1080p 32LG7000 £349

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Señor Ding-Dong

I'm thinking of buying this if its around the 400 euro mark, is this MPEG 4 compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Out of stock in most of the places in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'm thinking of buying this if its around the 400 euro mark, is this MPEG 4 compatible?

I'd be very surprised if it was.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

That lg7000 32 in is 699 euro in pc world Jervis st.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lachako

Living in Ireland but in the UK for Christmas. PC World and Curry's both do the LG 7000 32" for £349. Dixons which is apparently now only an online shop also have the same deal. I think all of these companies are under the one umbrella/parent company. Also, if you see anything on the PC World website they'll match that price in store, I know that might sound a bit obvious but they had the LG 7000 for £587 or there abouts in the shop and the online price was £349 (cheeky fookers!).

Anyway, I managed to get one in PC World in the Stephens Day / Boxing Day sales (All 7 had been reserved for 24 hours, so I called back just before the shop shut and managed to talk them into giving me one of them on the basis that all 7 customers weren't going to be there at 9am the next morning, so their 24 hours would be up).

In Curry's there's another model the LG 5700 32" that's £399 but has a lower ratio, I think it's 30,000:1, whereas the LG 7000 32" is 50,000:1. The sales assistant said that the reason the LG 5700 was more expensive, even though it was an inferior TV, was because the LG 7000 was Curry's main promotion (he was full of shi-ite though, would it be something to do with MPEG 2 / MPEG 4?).

Also in Curry's there's a Samsung 32" for £299 but it has only 10,000:1 and a Sony 32" for £349 but that was only 30,000:1. Also they were both only "HD ready 720" whereas the LG is 1080p (Full HD? - The sticker on the telly says so anyway).

I don't really know anything about LCD's as I've never really had/used one before, just what I've found out yesterday, but this seems to be the best deal compared to what else is out there. Loads of features on it too including Bluetooth - I think it's for wireless headphones or sending pictures to the TV? Now I don't understand about MPEG2 and MPEG4 but I bought this TV for someone with cable so I'm guessing that that shouldn't matter?

Anyway, that's my experience of the LG 7000! I'd say well worth a trip up North, especially if you can get one reserved beforehand (PC World), then it's less of a gamble. Also this has really driven home how much of a shafting we're getting in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just rang store in Dundalk, 32LG7000 is €899, it's €879 in Drogheda :confused: :eek: :mad: robbing ****s, no wonder everyone is going up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Bought two of these in Newry yesterday. Currys in Liffey Valley has some off the wall price, pretty much everything is a rip off compared to their Newry store.

Bought £140 worth of kitchen stuff in B&Q Newry. B&Q Liffey Valley price for the same stuff: €480.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Señor Ding-Dong

Yeah just rung Currys in the square, the guy said it was €879, crazy price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TVs are typically half the price up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Just looking at buying the 32" samsung in dixons for £299. Have no idea what all the specs are about so is it a decent tv? I just want something to play the ps3 on and hook the laptop up to.

• Advertisement

Samsung are dirt. I bought one a little over a year ago and it has a black shadow all the way down the screen and the HDMI connection gave up the ghost too. Samsung will not repair it under warranty. Avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

i thought samsung were one of the better names, what should i look out for then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

samsung are awful tv's from my experience with them so far (my current samsung tv has about 10 problems with it atm and thats after it was repaired!), out of warranty so nothing i can do now.

they seem to have new models every month, maybe the expensive ones are good but I wouldnt recommend getting a bargain samsung tv to friends or family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've had a samsung for 3 years and no problems.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I've had a samsung for 3 years and no problems.
    You have been very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Ive had a samsung for over 3 years now and it has never given me one single jot of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You have been very lucky.

Perhaps it's you that has been unlucky. :)

Oh I don't think so going by the experiences of others. I certainly wouldn't buy one ever again. Their after sales service is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

i'm on my second faulty samsung (great customer service for the first one when the screen had terrible flickering problems so i thought i'd buy samsung again)

Awful customer service for the second one, took about 6 months to get tv fixed, and warranty was gone by then. And it didnt take to long for more problems to develop such as backlight leaking, vga flickering and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

that 32 inch in xtra vision for 400 is quality, cant look beyond it to be honest.

Got it for the folks for Christmas. Happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Trilla wrote: »
    that 32 inch in xtra vision for 400 is quality, cant look beyond it to be honest.

Got it for the folks for Christmas. Happy out
    You could get any number of TV's from the north or online of far superior PQ and build than that AOC.

Agreed. You are spoilt for choice in the north.

Sainsburys are doing a 32 inch Sony Bravia for £349.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

+1

I have have a Samsung 40" for 2.5 years and never had a problem.

Yes, perhaps the OP was unlucky.

Have a 32" LG in bedroom and its ok. Sound is crap but it never gave any trouble.

The Samsung for £299 in Currys in Newry is far far lower spec than the LG for £349. There is no comparison.

The Samsung is 720p, the LG is 1080p. The LG also has Bluetooth and USB, the Samsung has neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Tesco are selling a sony bravia 32 inch for €499, well worth a look.

Not really when :
    Sainsburys are doing a 32 inch Sony Bravia for £349.
    Look in Tescos and get into the car and drive to Sainsburys for actual purchase.

That Sony is 720p for £349.

The LG is 1080p, Bluetooth and USB, for £349.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Is there any way that you can ring ahead to currys and reserve one of these TVs? If i was going i'd be travelling up from Limerick to Newry (I have to go to Dub anyway), and thats a long drive for no TV!

Any idea's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Oh I don't think so going by the experiences of others. I certainly wouldn't buy one ever again. Their after sales service is appalling.

Bought a 46" Samsung online from the UK last december. One of the 3 HDMI connectors wasn't working and it was picked up, repaired & returned by the Irish Samsung distributor within 3 days.

Advertisement