Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost 4 years no claims bonus getting pebble chip fixed on Windscreen

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I'm nowhere near 17 for a start. Now explain this to me... Who on earth would anyone buy windscreen cover if they actually thought that in the event of them using the cover, they would be forfeiting their no claims bonus??? :confused::confused::confused:

BTW, I never had a claim against my policy and never had to claim off someone else's policy, so you're talking pure rubbish there with that...

thats the point it only affects your bonus if you dont have windscreen cover if he has windscreen cover he is grand and its a clerical error

your post says nothing about windscreen cover it simply says that no matter what a windscreen claim should not affect your bonus

DRice wrote: »
    yes thats what i would do aswell, if its only 125 quid they might try to hang on to you. then again it depends on who you get on the phone

lads your in dream land it might work this time and it might work in a few weeks but this whole get a cheaper quote somewhere else and get your own company to cut their price is about to disappear

there is a reason quinn are cheaper than alliance and axa and its not because their board are nicer people than alliances or axas board. when times are good(which they have been) the better companies want to get more customers from the cheap companies so they will match their price on the basis that the customers will be impressed with their service and stay with them threw the tough times which we are now into (the insurance companies have been in tough times for about a year maybe a year and a half but its gotten bad enough now that they cannot keep absorbing the cost)

the companies are going to try and get threw this time by keeping as many customers as possible while prices rise and while getting rid of as much risk as possible. this is a fact that i think people need to get used to but there is going to be very little room to move on things like for example if you dont have ncb protection and make a claim and threaten to move companies if they dont allow your bonus anyway for the simple fact that your costing them money and they would be glad to get rid of your risk were as before because they were in the black comfortably and had wriggle room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

PeakOutput wrote: »
    thats the point it only affects your bonus if you dont have windscreen cover if he has windscreen cover he is grand and its a clerical error

your post says nothing about windscreen cover it simply says that no matter what a windscreen claim should not affect your bonus

As far as I knew, windscreen cover is a separate product from your car insurance. The point regarding claiming for windscreen cover off your normal policy in the event of you not actually having windscreen cover doesn't stand up, because your excess will always be greater than the cost of repairing a windscreen. For example, if your policy has an excess of 300 Euro, which is the lowest excess I know of, you can't put a claim of 200 Euro through your policy for a windscreen or for anything else for that matter....

ye thats a good point daragh i completely forgot about the excess and the fact the op hasnt been asked to pay one says to me he has the cover and its an error

there are 250 excess out there with loads of ways to reduce but it will never be low enough to make a 125euro claim worth your while.

let us know how you get on anyway op im too drunk with the day thats in it to post anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I thought i had lost my 6years no claims bonus for not having a policy in my name for over 2 years. 1800 euro/yr instead of 600!
    I just got a chip fixed in my car and made no mention of insurance ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Holy God. I'm with Quinn however have Fully Comp and Windscreen Cover.

Got the Windscreen replaced with Allied Irish Windscreens last week and hope to God I don't lost my (albeit measly) 1 year's NCB.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As far as I knew, windscreen cover is a separate product from your car insurance. The point regarding claiming for windscreen cover off your normal policy in the event of you not actually having windscreen cover doesn't stand up, because your excess will always be greater than the cost of repairing a windscreen. For example, if your policy has an excess of 300 Euro, which is the lowest excess I know of, you can't put a claim of 200 Euro through your policy for a windscreen or for anything else for that matter....
    IIRC my excess is €100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Just re pay the insurance company the cost of the replacement windscreen and have your no claims re instated.

Simple as that no need to have a three page thread on this.

kbannon wrote: »
    IIRC my excess is €100

Well I'm obviously not in a position to disagree with ya there but I'd say that is not the typical excess that would be out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Somewhat unrelated, but a guy I now was hit by a woman in the local village and her insurance covered his damage. A few months later, HIS premium went up. He got on the phone and gave out sh*te to them, he actually got a slight reduction.
    They'll chance their arm more than once i'll tell you...

• Advertisement

i find it funny that people believe the insurance company is out to get you and screw you for every penny

an insurance company isnt a big monster hiding in the dark its just a business being run by people like you and me. mistakes happen if your friends premium going up was not simply a mistake they would not have changed it back. there was no person sitting in the corner looking threw claims that year saying well we can put this guys premium up for no reason and he probably wont notice

i find it funny that people believe the insurance company is out to get you and screw you for every penny

an insurance company isnt a big monster hiding in the dark its just a business being run by people like you and me. mistakes happen if your friends premium going up was not simply a mistake they would not have changed it back. there was no person sitting in the corner looking threw claims that year saying well we can put this guys premium up for no reason and he probably wont notice

Well they haven't done themselves any favours in recent years raping young people, refusing cover on the basis of age and gender, and generally messing a whole generation around with refusing to give quotes, cover, etc. They are up there with developers and publicans in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

there was no person sitting in the corner looking threw claims that year saying well we can put this guys premium up for no reason and he probably wont notice

no , probably not. they just put up all the premiums for no reason

Well they haven't done themselves any favours in recent years raping young people, refusing cover on the basis of age and gender, and generally messing a whole generation around with refusing to give quotes, cover, etc. They are up there with developers and publicans in my opinion.

as a young person i or none of my friends have had any trouble getting quotes or cover fully comp or otherwise on any cars we have had(small to medium sized engines). its a sad fact that young people **** themselves and others up more on the roads than people in other age brackets.

anyway i wasnt really talking about getting cover as i dont have much experience in that area and i believe any company should be allowed charge whatever they want / need to keep the profits rolling in, i was talking about how you are treated when you have cover and the vocal minority that is full of hate for the companies (there are one or two companies deserving of that hate from customer service perspective but in general the companies provide very good service in this country.

for the record i dont work for or have any plans to work in insurance in the future in case someone thnks im just defending my own industry and i think the companies are unnecessary and the government should be able to run a not for profit insurance agency that covers everyone but its not going to happen and what we are left with isnt all that bad

edit
    no , probably not. they just put up all the premiums for no reason

well thats a different story, either the premium went up because he was involved in an accident or everyones went up regardless of weather they were involved in an accident or not that year. the latter happens all the time and is going to be happening alot more over the next year or so and its not for no reason its so they can keep in the black

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

I had a big chip on my windscreen a year or so ago. Called hibernian first, they said I could get it fixed myself and they'd cover me for like 20 cents, or they would sort it out through their approved installer and the whole thing would be covered. I asked them would it affect the ncd and they confirmed it wouldn't. The installer had some trouble sourcing a new windscreen since the car has automatic wipers but they eventually came to the house, installed it and it cost me nothing. I don't know why the op wouldn't talk to his insurance company first.

Speaking of getting screwed by insurance companies, I'm with eagle star now. I got sick of getting renewal quotes every year from hibernian that were €100 more than I was quoted on their web site. I'd call them up asking for the better price, they'd tell me those quotes were only for new customers signing up online, I'd tell them I be happy to cancel my policy and sign up for new one, but can I speak to a supervisor first. The supervisor would hem and haw and finally agree. It was a special January ritual I had with Hibernian until I finally got a better quote from eagle star.

So yes, they do push up the premiums for everyone for no reason. I'm betting 90% of people just take the renewal quote without question.

Advertisement