Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 92 - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Watch the Mir vs Nog fight again lads.
    While Mir's striking was very crisp, his chin was open the whole time.
    If Nog had any power he could have ended that fight real early.
    Mir knew that Nog wasn't gonna stop him.
    As I pointed out before the fight, Nog has three stopages in his whole career.
    Lesnar however, has anvils in his fists.
    A glancing blow to Randys ear polaxed him.
    If Mir boxes the same way against Lesnar, Mir will be going to sleep in the first round.
    What Mir has to do is spend the next 4-5 months working leg kicks, and his jab.
    To be honest, the only chance I give him, is to take Brocks legs away.
    Lesnar will keep it standing untill he smashes Mirs face in, and then Gn'P his way to an undisputed title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There is more to MMA than the UFC.

Amen to that !!!!!!!

Just look at the UFC sister company WEC how many cracking fights did they have this year, the Torres V Maeda match immediately springs to mind.

The Dream promotion (while its not pride) has had some dingers this year too.

Roll on that stacked card at dynamite later this week !!!!!!!!!!!!!

and further down the road in january to Fedor V Arlowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

Killme00 wrote: »

The question for me is, who is next for Rashad Evans? Surely Chuck would love another pop (and that would fill seats) or even Rampage (would also fill seats). However because its all about PPV, could be see Anderson Silva vs Rashad Evans?
    Obviously Rampage, stupid question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

yeah-buddy wrote: »

how is it a stupid question?

there's rampage, machida, thiago silva, forrest, shogun, henderson or franklin. :rolleyes:

all would give rashad a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Rampage has stated he would preferably fight forrest next. Also the Ufc might be hesitant to promote a "black on black" title fight at this stage. If Machida puts on a good showing against Silva they could look upon it as a good time to start promoting the brazilian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Biggest surprise for me was Nog's loss BUT I only saw here that he weighed in heaviest ever AND he looked out of shape and didn't look sharp whatsoever! I think in hindsight Mir got a raw deal on TUF and sounded a much better person in his post fight interview. As regards fighting Lesnar, like others here, I think he has improved a helluva lot (his knees have really come on) and will beat the crap out of Mir, cause Mir won't be able to take him down and that is the ONLY place where he has a chance of beating Brock. In their first fight, I would actually point the finger of blame at Erik Paulson for the loss. Reason been, I remember him slapping Brock in the face and psyching him up when he was already jacked up enough and OVER-excited in his first UFC fight....that was just dumb!!

I wasn't at all surprised at Rashad beating Forrest. As much as I really like Forrest, he has way too much heart OVER brain e.g. was too willing to stand and trade with Rashad whenever he got a good clip. Against a guy with good power in his hands, that ain't smart!

How did Dean Lister do and what was the fight like??

Thought Matt Hamill looked absolute shee-ite and has gone backwards IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dave, I heard Okami tooled Lister. I did not see it as it was on the undercard but apparently once or twice in rd 3 Lister went onto the ground in an attempt to lure Okami into a Jiu-Jitsu game and got booed for it. It could be Lister's last fight in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Lister looked very poor, he never really got started , his stand up looked particularly poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Also the Ufc might be hesitant to promote a "black on black" title fight at this stage.

why would you say that?

why would you say that?
    PPV sales. Its new territory for the ufc and they might want to expand their current demographic of mostly young white males before they make this fight happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

Dave Joyce wrote: »

I wasn't at all surprised at Rashad beating Forrest. As much as I really like Forrest, he has way too much heart OVER brain e.g. was too willing to stand and trade with Rashad whenever he got a good clip. Against a guy with good power in his hands, that ain't smart!

Thought Matt Hamill looked absolute shee-ite and has gone backwards IMHO.

I thought that on the feet that forrest was winning the fight it ws only when he went on his back and was trying for a submission that rashad finally had the chance to use his strength via gn'p

totally agree with the hamill fight i mean watch that fight and then watch him against bisping it looks like 2 total different fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Cheers guys, thanks for that. I always thought Lister was a decent fighter while not having great stand up granted. Agree with that could have been his last fight for the UFC.
    I thought that on the feet that forrest was winning the fight it ws only when he went on his back and was trying for a submission that rashad finally had the chance to use his strength via gn'p

I agree, Forrest was winning the stand up BUT when he got tagged by Rashad, he'ed start trading punches all out and I think Rashad was the stronger puncher. Couldn't understand why Forrest didn't just keep banging in that leg kick which was bothering Rashad.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

how is it a stupid question?

there's rampage, machida, thiago silva, forrest, shogun, henderson or franklin. :rolleyes:

all would give rashad a good fight.

even though in tuf Rashad was a heavyweight hes kinda small at LHW now so i reckon Evans vs Spider could happen too..
    like if you watch his fight with Tito he was a midget in comparrison to Tito's frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Think the ufc has already said that the winner of silva vs machida will get 1st shot at rashad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

Also the Ufc might be hesitant to promote a "black on black" title fight at this stage.

What kind of racist comment is that?! At this stage???????????
    ali fought frazier foreman and all those others bought 40 years ago or something.

You must be before that generation so?????!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of racist comment is that?! At this stage???????????
    ali fought frazier foreman and all those others bought 40 years ago or something.

You must be before that generation so?????!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think you misinterpeted my comment, Im as far from a a racist as you can get!

As i stated earlier in the thread, the ufc might possibly want to expand their demograhic before they hold this fight so they can boost their ppv numbers.

Its a fight id personally like to see, as their styles match up quiet well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I think you misinterpeted my comment, Im as far from a a racist as you can get!

As i stated earlier in the thread, the ufc might possibly want to expand their demograhic before they hold this fight so they can boost their ppv numbers.

Its a fight id personally like to see, as their styles match up quiet well.
    plus it'll give rampage a chance to recycle his "black on black crime" quote and pretend it's new for the large ufc fanbase who didn't watch pride :pac::P

plus it'll give rampage a chance to recycle his "black on black crime" quote and pretend it's new for the large ufc fanbase who didn't watch pride :pac::P
    lol. :)

How would you see the fight spanning out?. Id give rampage the power edge while rashad would have the edge on speed,
    I reckon they both stand and trade for the majority of the fight and we see an entertaining 5 round decision. Really dificult to pick a winner on this one.. My gut says rampage but rashad always seem to find a way to win..
    Also having Greg Jackson in his corner is a big plus.

Kettle316 wrote: »
    Think the ufc has already said that the winner of silva vs machida will get 1st shot at rashad!!

If that's the case, then Machida's the next LH Champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

If that's the case, then Machida's the next LH Champ.

Dana said in the post-UFC 92 press conference that Rampage is the likely next contender

As I said earlier in the thread, Machida vs Rashad is just bad business at this stage and it can easily be avoided

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    Dana said in the post-UFC 92 press conference that Rampage is the likely next contender

As I said earlier in the thread, Machida vs Rashad is just bad business at this stage and it can easily be avoided

As I said, "if that's the case".

I can't see it happening, but I also can't see Machida not get his titleshot next year.
    If Machida beats Silva, then his next fight will either be against Griffin, Franklin, Shogun, Hendo, or Rampage.

He's already beaten Franklin, so no point to that.
    He has victories over Sokoudjou, Tito, BJ Penn, Stephan Bonnar, Mike McDonald, and Silva(at that stage).

If he could beat Griffin or Hendo for instance, they'd have to give him a shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

To say this show did well is an understatement if this true from Dana White:
    I don't want to get into numbers too much—that's our policy. But it crushed it. I'll say this: The Christmas show crushed the Lesnar fight by 150,000-175,000 buys.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3818684&campaign=rss&source=MagBlogDaily

Recession what recession? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

rovert wrote: »
    Recession what recession? :eek:

dam straight. i won €320 on an accumulator on this event. take that "Recession"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/1/8/714783/rumor-ufc-92-broke-mma-buy

"In what can only be considered incredible news if it is true, Dana White said today that UFC 92 crushed the Lesnar-Couture buyrate:

"I don't want to get into numbers too much—that's our policy. But it crushed it. I'll say this: The Christmas show crushed the Lesnar fight by 150,000-175,000 buys."

If this is true, and Lesnar/Couture did 1.01 million buys, this means UFC 92 broke the all-time record set by Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell at UFC 66. I am shocked by this, because even though the show had three main events and all three were intriguing, there were no fights on the show that jumped out as major draws besides Rampage-Silva, which was not promoted as the main event.

Perhaps a large amount of fans liked 91 and decided to purchase this as well? Or maybe Mir and Nogueira coming off TUF was something the fans really wanted to see? Either way, if this is true it's a stunning number, and a further reflection of the counter cyclical nature of entertainment spending."

The strength of previous two buyrates seem have an effected on the promotion of UFC 93 (they arent doing a Countdown show) as they arent going all out as they can afford to put there feet up for this one.

And let's not forget, after UFC 93 next weekend (which won't have a gret buy-rate as the foreign ones never do, and the card isn't the greatest for the American market), there's 94 with BJ vs GSP.
    That should draw good money too.

i agree

:rolleyes:

FFS

etc.

Back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

How did you know?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

lmfao :D

Advertisement