Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is the better Driver? Country or City Drivers!

Options
  • 22-12-2008 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Ok I am a country driver, with plenty of city driving experience!
    We all face hazards on our roads every day.

On a road called the wood road near clonmel, 2 deer jumped out in front of me recently, lucky for me i managed to stop in time.

My point is simple we all face different hazards depending on where we are driving.

Question: Who is the better driver? country or city and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Country drivers i think.More used to hazards such as tractors/**** etc on the narrow roads, so are more expectant of a hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Can open. Worms everywhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

People from urban arewas tend to be less confident of back roads whereas people from rural areas tend to be less confident with busy traffic. Its much of a muchness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Well I do a bit of both and I think this is the best way to be.
    To be a good driver you need a bit of experience with both IMO

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You've all got lovely bottoms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Atari Jaguar. I'm mainly a city driver, with plenty of country driving experience. On a busy street near the centre of Dublin recently, two old dears suddenly appeared from behind a bus(h). Lucky for them I managed to stop in time.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

lol, but on the real. having lived in the city and now living rural I can safely say the mulchies are better drivers, because the roads down here are so notoriously bad. other drivers tend to aim their cars for you at 90mph on a bend with their full beams on as you're exiting the biggest pothole ever while waving to the local dandy legged farmer. you really take your life in your own hands, only the strong survive, its a jungle down here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, I do a good bit of both... City driving is obviously harder and takes more skill. However country driving usually means more speed and danger. I guess the answer lies in the stats, people in rural areas are dying in their cars every weekend, not as many are dying in the big city areas.

I find younger Dublin drivers the most courteous on the road and Galway drivers the least courteous and the least knowledgeable about the rules of the road.

I will always give a country reg the benefit of doubt in Dublin regarding lane changing and maneuvering, its bloody hard to navigate your way around if you are not familiar with the city. Unfortunately the compliment is never ever returned in Galway or Cork, it is in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Is there actually such a thing as city driving?
    I always thought it resembles mobile parking with the occasional lane change :pac:

Where's the skill in that?

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Is there actually such a thing as city driving?
    I always thought it resembles mobile parking with the occasional lane change :pac:

Where's the skill in that?

Yeah!:D You have to be very aware in Dublin and Belfast, suicidal cycle couriers, maniac pedestrians, motorbike couriers, taxi's, buses, one way systems, lane discipline, joggers who run on the road (what the hell is that about?) and general bedlam stuffed in to roads that were designed in medieval times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Depends on if they are male of female.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

joggers who run on the road (what the hell is that about?)

What is that about? see that alot in the country, even when there is a foot path they could use!

I drive a truck(when i can get the work) and prefer to drive in a city than on country roads!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JackFrosty wrote: »
    Ok I am a country driver, with plenty of city driving experience!
    We all face hazards on our roads every day.

On a road called the wood road near clonmel, 2 deer jumped out in front of me recently, lucky for me i managed to stop in time.

My point is simple we all face different hazards depending on where we are driving.

Question: Who is the better driver? country or city and why?

We have deer in Dublin too! Have seen the results of a few car + deer mashes in the park before...

JackFrosty wrote: »
    joggers who run on the road (what the hell is that about?)

What is that about? see that alot in the country, even when there is a foot path they could use!

I drive a truck(when i can get the work) and prefer to drive in a city than on country roads!

THANKS!!! This irks someone else!! Its off the wall! I was driving behind some numpty in tight pants the other night for five minutes, he was jogging on the road passing out parked cars wearing dark clothing at nine in the evening. There was a perfect footpath on the other side of the parked cars.

I run 6K in half an hour everynight. I run on the path, its perfect, there is no excuse for running on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Are these country folk who rarely leave the country environ?

Are these city folk whom bought cars in the city and have NEVER driven outside of the city?

Can of worms is right!

Berty wrote: »
    Are these country folk who rarely leave the country environ?

Are these city folk whom bought cars in the city and have NEVER driven outside of the city?

Well, naturally both drivers you described are going to be nervous or bad drivers outside their comfort zone. But you have a point, in the city, the bad country driver is going to be given a bit more leeway, but the inexperienced city driver in a rural setting might be more dangerous.

I would imagine more city drivers venture out on rural roads than country drivers that go in to the big cities. You don't have to venture far out of any of the cities to hit rural roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Dear Country person,

Ahead is a roundabout.

See you in a few hours.

I merge between the two camps.

I drive for a living and drive very often in both environments. I have noticed city drivers are slow drivers in the country and country drivers are terrible with lane positioning, directions and parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Hammertime wrote: »
    Dear Country person,

Ahead is a roundabout.

See you in a few hours.

Both indicators going a dinger..........ARRRRRGGGGHHHH which lane do i have to be in......gonna merge,.....good luck everybody.

• Advertisement

payton_konya_0967_dj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

lightening wrote: »
    I will always give a country reg the benefit of doubt in Dublin regarding lane changing and maneuvering, its bloody hard to navigate your way around if you are not familiar with the city. Unfortunately the compliment is never ever returned in Galway or Cork, it is in Belfast.

I found this the case in the last couple of weeks when I was in both Cork and Belfast - no comparison between the courtesy of drivers in both cities.
    I was really struggling finding my way around the city centre, what with all the one-way streets, and must have really annoyed people with my last minute lane changing but the drivers there were very polite in letting me carry out my various manoeuvres.

Compare this to Cork though...... must have been the D reg. :rolleyes::P

Heroditas wrote: »
    Compare this to Cork though...... must have been the D reg. :rolleyes::P

I know.. probably the same problem here. Real mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Obviously people who live in the city will say they are better drivers. But I think that they know their way around so well so they don't have to think about it. So that makes it easier for them to drive in the city as they don't have to look for signs and worry about where they are going. Most off the people I know from Dublin as soon as they get out of the city can't drive for sh1te. I don't mean on dual carriageways but on regional roads. As soon as another car comes their way they have to slow down and refuse to put their car near the ditch in case a leaf touches it.

Now country drivers can (from what I've seen) drive on regional road,s even if they don't know them, just fine. Obviously some crashes happen from speed, cockiness and whatever but they are usually able to handle it. When city drivers go to Dublin for example they can be seen as crap drivers because they might be continuously looking for signs and hence have a little less time devoted to watching where to go. So on the balance of it I think country drivers are better.

Most off the people I know from Dublin as soon as they get out of the city can't drive for sh1te. I don't mean on dual carriageways but on regional roads.

Hundreds of regional roads all around and in Dublin. Most drivers from Dublin are well used to regional roads, I would imagine their caution is because they are used to a larger volume of traffic, cyclists, pedestrians etc....

You are dead right about drivers driving in the city and not really knowing where they are going, its a nightmare for them. But you will find Dublin and Belfast drivers let them in and out of lanes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

lightening wrote: »
    Hundreds of regional roads all around and in Dublin. Most drivers from Dublin are well used to regional roads,

I can't agree with that. I know there are lots off regional roads around Dublin but the majority of people wouldn't have to travel on them regularly. Any bank holiday weekend go around regional roads and you'll meet Dublin reg cars trying to make it to hotels on crap roads. They never go near the ditch and I've had some pretty close calls with them not doing so. Although they are better in that they stick within or well below the speed limit on these roads.

I know that i'm generalising and I apologise to any driver from a city who can drive on country roads, but most can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

I think bad Positioning is the cause of alot of accidents, some people just come round bends on the middle of the road, and look at you like you have 2 heads when you flash your lights and head for the ditch, to avoid a head on!
    I am sure the same thing happens in citys wid in correct lane positioning etc.

Thing is no one thinks they are a bad driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I find city driving makes me much more aware of my surroundings, like other cars, extra lanes, speeds of other cars beside me, behind and ahead, judging lane changes and speeds more often.

Country driving can make you very ignorant of other drivers, as its much more hands on around the roads, much more a driver's environment, but very good for getting to know your car's abilities well.

I find the city can be bad for silly speed limits and dangerous drivers with no lane sense, (mostly culchies). I find the country drivers more ignorant of other drivers, but a little more sure of themselves on back roads.

That being said, the Dubs are raring to go too, when they get a chance at a good surfaced backroad.

House wrote: »
    I find the country drivers more ignorant of other drivers, but a little more sure of themselves on back roads.

I find it the opposite. A country driver is more likely to salute you for no apparent reason other than that of saying hello. People walking on the roads salute drivers and vice versa.

The only time I ever got saluted in Dublin(biggest city so best example) was not to say hello, rather something else.

For other replies refering to registration numbers. I have an LH registration but I live in a small village in Tipp and work mostly in Limerick. People maybe assume Im not from these here parts but I have my Munster sticker on the back window to make up for having a ****ty Leinster mobile. Most reps/companies have D registrations so people assume they are from Dublin, its just the leasing company that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How about both. Those like me who grew up in the City and learned to drive in the City but a few years back moved out to the country and commute to the city each day. best of both worlds.

Advertisement