Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's hear your Music !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

http://soundcloud.com/paulbrewer

Here are some of the tracks I've been involved in in the last while.
    They're in no particular order, some are a couple of years old , some mastered, some not.

The main thing in common is I mixed them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

*EDIT* - MODS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MOVE TO EQUIVILANT THREAD IN DANCE MUSIC PRODUCTION - SORRY I EFFED THAT UP!

I'm a musician so when I saw the RTE performance comp advertised in July i figured why not throw em something different.

Here's my attempt at Drum & Bass-ish style tunage using live instruments for the competition

Be interested in hearing your opinions please, if you'd care to take a minute. Only really got one so far off a mate, who loved it, but he is really enthusiastic about everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

Sky King wrote: »
    *EDIT* - MODS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MOVE TO EQUIVILANT THREAD IN DANCE MUSIC PRODUCTION - SORRY I EFFED THAT UP!

I'm a musician so when I saw the RTE performance comp advertised in July i figured why not throw em something different.

Here's my attempt at Drum & Bass-ish style tunage using live instruments for the competition

Be interested in hearing your opinions please, if you'd care to take a minute. Only really got one so far off a mate, who loved it, but he is really enthusiastic about everything!

Good idea but its a bit wishy washy. Someone who has been doing it for years. With personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

http://soundcloud.com/conormccauley/ar-bhaile

An instrumental celtic folk tune, comments welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭oceanmachine

Hey everyone,

This is my latest demo effort. I'm still struggling to get to grips with my recording equipment. On some earphones it sounds fine and others muffled. Let me know what you think. Thanks for listening as always.

www.theoceanmachine.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

The Hill of Thieves (Instrumental Hip Hop remix)

http://soundcloud.com/listothis/the-hill-of-thieves-by-cara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

An instrumental : http://soundcloud.com/narwhalthegreat/bring-the-son
    Needs vocals!

• Advertisement

A recent 're'mix of a track by J90 using the Cranesong Phoenix plugin on every track .

http://soundcloud.com/paulbrewer/test-mix

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    A recent 're'mix of a track by J90 using the Cranesong Phoenix plugin on every track .

http://soundcloud.com/paulbrewer/test-mix

You need to put a kick drum sample on that kick (you don't have to tell anyone) - there's no push or pump in it. And I think you've got a lot of room to go with something there. More something you can feel than necessarily hear. Put a three band eq on the mix - switch off the mid and high - and there you should hear a rhythmic push and groove. If it's not there, add something to the kick, and you can put a little side chain on the bass - but don't have the side chain on where the bass comes down with the downbeat. When you put everything back on, the groove will still be there.

I think your tambourine and hi-hats are bit high and harsh - I think they're cutting too much into your vocals - which you're going for that Def Leopard effect - aren't you?

There's bit in there where the drummer does 16ths on hi-hats. You should remove that bit........For the simple reason, I absolutely hate it when drummers do that. No one is impressed.

What's that really interesting bass around 2.13?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 the ghosting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

krd wrote: »
    You need to put a kick drum sample on that kick (you don't have to tell anyone) - there's no push or pump in it. And I think you've got a lot of room to go with something there. More something you can feel than necessarily hear. Put a three band eq on the mix - switch off the mid and high - and there you should hear a rhythmic push and groove. If it's not there, add something to the kick, and you can put a little side chain on the bass - but don't have the side chain on where the bass comes down with the downbeat. When you put everything back on, the groove will still be there.

I think your tambourine and hi-hats are bit high and harsh - I think they're cutting too much into your vocals - which you're going for that Def Leopard effect - aren't you?

There's bit in there where the drummer does 16ths on hi-hats. You should remove that bit........For the simple reason, I absolutely hate it when drummers do that. No one is impressed.

Ha, must make a note of that. :D

Not a huge fan of the track songwise in all honesty Paul. The singer sounds like he's had a can of Monster or five.

That singing style is far too hyper and would honestly irritate me after a short period. However there is something infectious about the "woah-ah, woah-ah" bits in the track. Actually considerably so.

Production wise I didn't like the filter you put the vocal through at 2.09. Something not right about the tone of it.

Also the lyric, "Look at this, I'm a wiz, I'm the biz", with the emphasis on biiiiiiiiiz isn't doing the track any favours, seriously. Came across as lame, even for a track that's looking to be shamelessly catchy.

That's a good bit harsher than I would normally critique something but hopefully you take something out of it, the band too. The woah bits have potential no doubt.

krd wrote: »

I like where the kick and bass are actually - so on that we'll disagree. I agree that the highs are gone a bit harsh - however that's not in the wav I uploaded so I'd be happy enough with that too. I had no input into it musically - in fact I believe that it was recorded around 3 years ago.

flyswatter wrote: »

Not a huge fan of the track songwise in all honesty Paul. The singer sounds like he's had a can of Monster or five.

That singing style is far too hyper and would honestly irritate me after a short period. However there is something infectious about the "woah-ah, woah-ah" bits in the track. Actually considerably so.

Production wise I didn't like the filter you put the vocal through at 2.09. Something not right about the tone of it.

Also the lyric, "Look at this, I'm a wiz, I'm the biz", with the emphasis on biiiiiiiiiz isn't doing the track any favours, seriously. Came across as lame, even for a track that's looking to be shamelessly catchy.

That's a good bit harsher than I would normally critique something but hopefully you take something out of it, the band too. The woah bits have potential no doubt.

There's no filter at 2.09 ? There is a filter on one line to knock it back behind the main vox at 1.24. I know what you're saying about the 'biz' but as I say I mixed what I got.

From my point of view in terms of what I received to where it is now I'd be happy with it.

It was an experiment in using some new plugins too, namely the maag EQ4, and the Waves PuigTec which is on the stereo mix and the above mentioned Cranesong which has glued up the low end - it sounds large and tight in Joe's Range Rover !

Even the criticisms here are just on details - one can't, as we all know, keep everyone happy ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Some old tracks I made a while ago and only uploaded now:
    http://soundcloud.com/norman-breaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    flyswatter wrote: »

There's no filter at 2.09 ? There is a filter on one line to knock it back behind the main vox at 1.24. I know what you're saying about the 'biz' but as I say I mixed what I got.

From my point of view in terms of what I received to where it is now I'd be happy with it.

It was an experiment in using some new plugins too, namely the maag EQ4, and the Waves PuigTec which is on the stereo mix and the above mentioned Cranesong which has glued up the low end - it sounds large and tight in Joe's Range Rover !

Even the criticisms here are just on details - one can't, as we all know, keep everyone happy ;)
    Sorry got mixed up with filters, i meant whatever effect you added to his voice there.

http://soundcloud.com/paulbrewer/test-3

Same track ! However this time instead of just dropping the Cransesong Phoenix onto every track and pressing 'burn' I've had a listen to how it's effecting EQs etc.

This time there's a little less crunchiness going on and a bit more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 unimpressed alf

Heyy Everyone!

New to Boards and newish to Ireland (but thats another story...), would love to get some feedback on my music so thought I'd have a go at posting on here

here is whhat i think is my strongest track at the moment
    http://soundcloud.com/unimpressedalf/the-iron-in-our-cars-was-made

and this is the one that is currently a work in progress
    http://soundcloud.com/unimpressedalf/pamsmixtwo

thoughts and opinions from composition to production are very welcome :)

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I like the cars one a lot... are you a Moby fan by any chance!!?? Or muse? The payback / crechendo (sp?) is ace. Nice time sig phrasing in there. Clearly you know what you;re at.

Sound wise - Nicely produced as well.... I am not so sure about the arrangement but that's my silly just nit picking - it's a really decent track.

I like the spoken word sampling as well... this is not at all as popular now as it used to be for some reason

Sky King wrote: »
    I like the cars one a lot... are you a Moby fan by any chance!!?? Or muse? The payback / crechendo (sp?) is ace. Nice time sig phrasing in there. Clearly you know what you;re at.

Sound wise - Nicely produced as well.... I am not so sure about the arrangement but that's my silly just nit picking - it's a really decent track.

I like the spoken word sampling as well... this is not at all as popular now as it used to be for some reason

Thanks for listening Mr King. I loved that album Play when it was about, but other than Ive not listened to Moby too much. Muse however, are directly responsible for the synth arpeggios inn heavy slow sections!

Thanks for your comments

I would really like some feedback on
    http://soundcloud.com/unimpressedalf/pamsmixtwo

Particularly with regards to the piano and string writing as this is the most adventerous Ive ever been with these two

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

Not sure if I've seen this thread yet, good thread with some class acts here.

Check out my own band Teddyballet. Feedback is greatly appreciated too.
    Self produced first EP here

Prog influenced. Lots of different styles in this particular EP though.

www.teddyballet.bandcamp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DaraMcConnell

nigeldinho wrote: »
    Not sure if I've seen this thread yet, good thread with some class acts here.

Check out my own band Teddyballet. Feedback is greatly appreciated too.
    Self produced first EP here

Prog influenced. Lots of different styles in this particular EP though.

www.teddyballet.bandcamp.com

The biggest niggle for me with these recordings is that there is hardly any kik and snare.. So when the song kicks in, its not really KICKING IN (if you know what i mean?), its all high hats.

Other than that, the tunes have a nice retro feel without feeling pastiche. Although as the styles are so varied, the EP could be accused of being in-cohesive or disparate, but at least you're not a one trick pony.

Pigeon of Life stands out to me as being the most original and interesting song, kinda reminds me of 'A Storm in Heaven' era Verve. I'd just like to hear the vocals stand out abit more. Free Yourself needs the most work; it sounds like it was mixed in a hurry by the guitarist. The guitar dominates all the frequencies, the drums are lost in the background somewhere and the singer sounds as though hes in another room down the corridor. It sounds like a descent tune, its just the mix isnt doing it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alba_gu_brath

New Deep house track, feedback appreciated! :)

http://soundcloud.com/ryan-j/ryan-james-we-go-higher

• Registered Users Posts: 5 elliottt1

This is a new one from me, falls under the indie pop genre I guess. Me on bass, guitar and horrible singing haha

https://soundcloud.com/s-k-rambles/open-your-eyes-1

Some feedback would be great

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Capstone Beats

New Website for Beats ( Instrumentals ). We need your support,

Please Join our mailing list for the latest news & a free Beat. Thanks

http://www.capstonebeats.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Shota

Advertisement