Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free McAfee Antivirus 2009 [Expires Dec. 31st]

Options
  • 20-12-2008 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I would pop this into its own thread. Not sure how good McAfee is these days but worth a go.

1) Go To http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=53347
    2) Enter coupon code VSPPROMOCF
    3) Hit Checkout.
    4) Enjoy Your Free McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009

The Offer is valid utill December 31, 2008

EDIT: I am not claiming it is the best AV package out there but it is FREE like AVG, Anti-vir and others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Cheers Ruu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭baz15

Thanks for that Ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

nice one ! free 1month subscription just ran out ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice one Ruu, that comes with a firewall too.
    Just installed on my main pc and lappy :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

nice one cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Nice 1! Ruu! thanks for that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Thanks a lot Ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I would recommend an Anti Vir and Comodo firewall combo over McAfee. (Both free)

Comodo beats the pants of all but one firewall in these tests. In comparison, McAfee firewall scored horribly.

Similarly Anti Vir consistently outscores most other AV products (both those available for free and purchase).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

thanks man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Thanks Ruu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Ruu wrote: »
    Thought I would pop this into its own thread. Not sure how good McAfee is these days but worth a go.

1) Go To http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=53347
    2) Enter coupon code VSPPROMOCF
    3) Hit Checkout.
    4) Enjoy Your Free McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009

The Offer is valid utill December 31, 2008

EDIT: I am not claiming it is the best AV package out there but it is FREE like AVG, Anti-vir and others.
    good tip Op but I do not like the way they want an online installation because i have to have a current av to go online and this will not install properly with another av installed will it? Don't like the way they seem to want control over installation cannot downlad and install when ready and offline

• Registered Users Posts: 43,784 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers Ruu.

Was gonna uninstall the free McAfee trial with my Samsung NC10 and put AVG Free on it. But will give the McAfee 2009 a shot since it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yea big thanks from me! Just got a new lappy to pop that on too :)

I just got a popup from Mcafee here saying that there is now 50% saving on upgrading ! 50% of free !!!! :(

good tip Op but I do not like the way they want an online installation because i have to have a current av to go online and this will not install properly with another av installed will it? Don't like the way they seem to want control over installation cannot downlad and install when ready and offline

why do you need to have another AV installed - live dangerously ;)
    or uninstall your old one, and only goto the mcafee website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Skybird

Great stuff thanks.
    Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Thanks OP,

Just ordered 10 copies to to install on my all my families PC's over the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Just uninstalled this from my PC as it was slowing it to a crawl and put in Avast instead. Also they automatically charged my credit card once the 1 year subscription expired without asking me first did I want to renew, I didnt like that.

hmmm - i didnt have to put my credit card details in. thats for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

Same here - 100% discount and didn't ask for CC details. Having said that I think I prefer Grisoft's AVG (its free), but I will give this one a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

sorry guys I wasn't talking about the offer, just the product in general. I got it free for 3 months with purchase of pc, then paid for a year, when that ran out then they charged me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cheers for this. Being a cheap-a**, I never really got anti-virus stuff for my laptop, which made me annoyed(despite nothing majorly wrong with the laptop). At least now I know its relatively safe for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Bump, expires soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

If one had an expired version of McAfee, would you have to delete that first or just download this updated version?

to be safe i would uninstall - might be an older version.
    the installer would probably uninstall the old one for you, but as i said better safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

they keep asking me for credit card details, do I just leave that blank

never mind, got it to work, I think. Will this anti-virus protect my credit card details and allow me to buy online?

Thanks

the antivirus will stop viruses or trojans to be installed on your computer, from which someone might be able to get your details if you enter them into a site.
    there is a nice program called Mcafee SiteAdvisor which will let you know what they think of each site you visit. if people have reported getting virii from there before.
    as a side point boards.ie isnt the normal green, it has a yellow !
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/boards.ie?version=2&core_ver=1.0&pip=true&premium=true&client_ver=2.9.239&client_type=IEPlugin&suite=true&aff_id=0&locale=en-us&os_ver=6.0.1.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Cheers for this !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Thanks a lot Ruu!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

samhail wrote: »
    the antivirus will stop viruses or trojans to be installed on your computer, from which someone might be able to get your details if you enter them into a site.
    there is a nice program called Mcafee SiteAdvisor which will let you know what they think of each site you visit. if people have reported getting virii from there before.
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/boards.ie?version=2&core_ver=1.0&pip=true&premium=true&client_ver=2.9.239&client_type=IEPlugin&suite=true&aff_id=0&locale=en-us&os_ver=6.0.1.0

That's be thanks to the poker lads having a dodgy program available for download from their forum.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/boards.ie/downloads/13777656/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

samhail wrote: »

so, does that mean it is safe for me to buy on websites with green siteadvisor?

Advertisement