Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet attendents?.

Options
  • 20-12-2008 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I was out with the works Christmas party on Thursday night, great night.

During it we hit the Arlington on the quays (Dublin). Crap boozer, but there ya go that happens.

My biggest problem with this place was the toilets. They weren't especially dirty, male toilets are usually cleaner than the wimmens anyhow.

But - IT HAD A TOILET ATTENDENT!.

An African lad offering aftershave lotions, sprays, tissue etc.

Frankly, I find this embarressing and very annoying.

I know the lad is making good money, one club I work in the hubby and wife bragged of making over €500- a night between them.

I rarely if ever return to a bar with toilet attendents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just do what I do and ignore them. Hardly the most irritating thing you'll come across on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,862 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Depends on the bathroom to be honest. Usually an attendant is around the corner and isnt just blankly watching people at urinals or coming in/out of stalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

I think they play on your desires to not be seen as rude or unkind. hence it's hard to refuse the tissue they hand you after you've washed your hands. even harder to accept it and walk away without acknowledging his 'effort' by leaving a tip.

No need to ignore, just say no thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

If a busker displays no talent or plays Wonderwall, I don't give them a cent. Same goes for toilet buskers. Unless you're going to juggle or tell a few jokes, you'll not see a thing from me.

I've noticed less of them turning off the hand dryers and removing the original soap etc. I'd say people got pissed off with those tactics and pub management had a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I find it quite a degrading job for some reason. I always throw a couple of euro in whether i use anything or not which can turn into an expensive night cos once ya wee once ya know yourself, ya cant stop :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mallubear

You feel like your privacy is being intruded on

Well I do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Hate toilet attendant , don't like them . They do not do anything , one accused me of taking some chewing gum once and tried to make me give him some change so I told him to go f**k off(I am not easily p1ssed off but the cheek) .
    Nah I don't like them .

Also they play on the embarrassment which is what they were trying to do to me when I didn't give any change

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

preilly79 wrote: »
    I think they play on your desires to not be seen as rude or unkind. hence it's hard to refuse the tissue they hand you after you've washed your hands. even harder to accept it and walk away without acknowledging his 'effort' by leaving a tip.

No need to ignore, just say no thanks :)

Just give them your best smile , and tell them they are doing a great job.
    Leave.

Hate toilet attendant , don't like them . They do not do anything , one accused me of taking some chewing gum once and tried to make me give him some change so I told him to go f**k off(I am not easily p1ssed off but the cheek) .
    Nah I don't like them .

Also they play on the embarrassment which is what they were trying to do to me when I didn't give any change
    in fairness he should keep his chewing gum stick under the toilet seat. shame on you for eating it though - thats disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Trinity1 wrote: »
    I find it quite a degrading job for some reason. I always throw a couple of euro in whether i use anything or not which can turn into an expensive night cos once ya wee once ya know yourself, ya cant stop :D

Nice one, you pay top buck for drinks,probably well over €5 a pint or 330 ml bottle that you could buy for €1 in an offie,and then you feel the need to toss in "a few euro" when you use the facilities!!!
    Then you probably tip the taxi driver on the way home and pay the babysitter if needed.

You pay for everything at top buck and then feel the 'need' to toss in more:eek::eek::eek:

Ever think you are taken for being bit 'soft'????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The pubs do not pay them a penny. They expect them to clean the toilets and supply their own stuff.

Degrading job. A friend of mine(NO not me) onced used the soap and the hand papers that were handed to them and the guy asked for money. They asked him for his work permit to work in Ireland. He said he did not have one. My friend argued that he should not pay him to perpetuate the problem.

I just ignore them and when they block the paper or hand dryer I just wave them out of the way.

Nice one, you pay top buck for drinks,probably well over €5 a pint or 330 ml bottle that you could buy for €1 in an offie,and then you feel the need to toss in "a few euro" when you use the facilities!!!
    Then you probably tip the taxi driver on the way home and pay the babysitter if needed.

You pay for everything at top buck and then feel the 'need' to toss in more:eek::eek::eek:

Ever think you are taken for being bit 'soft'????

Yes I am soft, i'm a sucker. I'd feel bad not putting money in. And i always tip taxi drivers, delivery men etc.

Fortunately for my pocket i dont go out much anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Don't worry, the way things are going, that type of excess will go the way of hi vis vests in the deli, ever ascending drink prices (except in prime locations, as ever), and easy access to personal credit.

No bloody harm either. Its about time we stopped screwing each other over, or allowing other parasites to do it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mairt wrote: »
    I rarely if ever return to a bar with toilet attendents.

Me too.

I was in a pub in Swords a couple of years ago and didn't tip the attendent for the hard job of handing me a paper towel and some asshole (another customer) informed me I was a racist. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bouncers are worse. Toilet attendants never judge Pighead by the footwear he wears on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Me too.

I was in a pub in Swords a couple of years ago and didn't tip the attendent for the hard job of handing me a paper towel and some asshole (another customer) informed me I was a racist. :rolleyes:

You should have cupped a hand full of water from the tap and thrown it right at this crotch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Toilet attendent, *one thing you will never find in a culchie toilet :D

In fact, in some establishments, toilet roll is a bonus!

*Must add to the reasons i'm proud to be a culchie list

themadchef wrote: »
    Toilet attendent, *one thing you will never find in a culchie toilet :D

In fact, in some establishments, toilet roll is a bonus!

*Must add to the reasons i'm proud to be a culchie list

My fondest memory of a culchie pub is the sign on the door saying push, so i pushed and pushed and pushed but it wouldnt open so i tried pulling and low and behold you did in fact have to pull.

I was attending a funeral so it was a much needed laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

My fondest memory of a culchie pub is the sign on the door saying push, so i pushed and pushed and pushed but it wouldnt open so i tried pulling and low and behold you did in fact have to pull.

Thats a standing secret joke on the foreinders, and the Dubs ;).

Culchies have to get their kicks somewhere. If no strangers show up to give us a laugh, someone usually starts a fight for the sake of it. Wimmin are the most entertaining. I usually hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Toilet attendants are just a way for a bar/club to have someone in the toilets keeping an eye on what is happening without having a bouncer in there all the time. Which would you prefer a saying no to a toilet attendant offering a towel or dealing with a bouncer staring you out of it while you try to relieve yourself !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I got a hug from the toilet guy in Doyles on College Green last weekend after I tipped him. I did notice that he was better dressed than every customer in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Wacko wrote: »
    Toilet attendants are just a way for a bar/club to have someone in the toilets keeping an eye on what is happening without having a bouncer in there all the time. Which would you prefer a saying no to a toilet attendant offering a towel or dealing with a bouncer staring you out of it while you try to relieve yourself !

if they don't expect a tip , then bouncers

lafortezza wrote: »
    I got a hug from the toilet guy in Doyles on College Green last weekend after I tipped him. I did notice that he was better dressed than every customer in the place.

You sure he was an attendant? COuld have just been a punter that ran out of money so ran into the jacks and stood there with paper towels in hand waiting on suckers like me to throw money into his hat :D

You sure he was an attendant? COuld have just been a punter that ran out of money so ran into the jacks and stood there with paper towels in hand waiting on suckers like me to throw money into his hat :D
    ...define Toilet Attendant again?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badinfleunce

I love toilet attendants. I think they are such an important part of our lives. Lets face it if they werent around it could have a detrimental effect on the economy. People would not be spending when they go to the loo and this could lead to all sorts.
    I think the introduction of this practice was a stealth strategy by FF to increase spending in the "jacks" to compensate for the eventual downturn in the economy. Rumour has it that part of the new masterplan to be unveiled will definetly focus on tax breaks for The "toilet attendant industry" to ensure their survival and encourage further development.
    Frankly this is where we are headin and in an attempt to soften the blow the toilet attendant will give us all a spray of our favourite cologne before we see our little country being flushed down the loo:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

lafortezza wrote: »

Happened me once in Liverpool actually!

In my defence, I was drunk and gullible, so the fucker got five pound out of me.

Cue bemused stares from the other punters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wacko wrote: »

No its not, your Wacko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kickupthehole

Pighead wrote: »
    Bouncers are worse. Toilet attendants never judge Pighead by the footwear he wears on a night out.

why did that post get a thanks? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mairt wrote: »
    No its not, your Wacko.
    Ah c'mon Mairt he's right. If you had a daughter and if she were ever to marry, would you rather she wed a meathead who wouldn't let her wear trainers or a gentle kind soul who always ensured she smelt nice and that her pretty hands were dry?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    ...define Toilet Attendant again?

Someone who attends to you while you are using the toilet facilities? Where did i go wrong with the post was it the hat :D

Why whats yours?

Advertisement