Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Asked to produce / refused to look at cert

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Ok, what do you make of this.

I got pulled on Wed night for aboslutely no reason whatsoever - I was pulling into a car park for gods sake! and they were on the side of the road and followed me in

This guy was a total w@nker. (not a reflection on all guards, as they are all pretty sound and 2 of my good friends are also Guards)

He asks for my licence, no polite hello, no chit chat - nothing.

I hand him my licence and he walks around my car, other gard checks my discs (all in order). Then he checks all 4 tyres (meaty Bridgestone Potenzas not some cheap sh!te but of course he wouldnt know that :rolleyes: )

Anyway, takes another walk around my car and jots down a lot of stuff in his notepad. Walks back up to my window and asks "is your exhaust legal" ... as far as i know there is no law against exhaust but i tell him yes it is and RX-8s come standard with dual exit exhausts.

He says ok and asks me to produce my insurance and NCT cert at bala bla bla ...... So i say excuse me but i have them all right here in the glove box and took them out. Then he gets really cross and tells me he cant do anything with them as he doesnt have a computer to check :confused:

I said to him well you should have asked me firstly if i had the certs with me before jotting into your notebook ... he then says in a firm tone "What garda station are you going to produce to" ... i took my time putting my docs back into the enevelope and he says "i havent got all day" ( although he took his sweet time walking around my car and meticulously checking my tyres)

So I named the garda station of my choice... and then i said can i ask you a question; what exactly is the point of having discs in the window to begin with, never mind carrying all your certs with you (which i do specifically so i dont have to go through the inconvenience of producing) ?? ... he just looked at me and walked off.

what a complete tool!! He seemed quite senior aswell.

It really annoys me even thinking about it.

Id also like to note that i remained polite throughout and was dressed neatly and spoke politely.

Sureley what he did was illegal?? ... It is like asking asking me to produce my driving licence, but I have it right here LOOK! .. NO go to your local garda station?

what are your thoughts.

:mad:

Rant over

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Do they even check them on the computer when you do produce them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Sounds like he was having a bad day.

You are absolutely right, there is no point in carrying your license if they ask you then to bring to a station - to do what exactly?

Same with the discs, most people don't carry around the actual certs, so he wanted to just cause hassle for you, presuming that like most people you don't bring them around.

Garda Ombudsman?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd be making a complaint. Did you get his number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Sorry just to confirm...the Garda asked YOU if the exhaust was legal? Thats a clever Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd be making a complaint. Did you get his number?

+1

You should of asked for his name/ID number. Would have kept him quiet.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I had a similar experience with two member of the gardai last year, except they were alot more agressive. Since I couldnt see their numbers due to the coats they were wearing I asked for their names and numbers which they refused to give me.

I took the Reg plate number of their car and made a complaint based on the time location etc. Nobody got back to me and the local gardai station garda didnt even look at me when I went to make a complaint. I wouldnt mind if I was doing rings in a local car park in a Glanza but I was well dressed driving a non-modified standard road car.
    It's times like that when you wish you had an in-car camera, the Garda Commissioner might start to pay attention if the footage turned up on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Yeah exactly.

JackFrosty: I dont even think they check up on a computer when you do produce, I think he was just p***ed off that i had caught him out with my certs as he just ASSUMED i didnt have them so just gave me a fob off excuse.

And Skyuser: YES he asked me if my exhaust was legal... as i was thinkin maybe he wants to know if I bought it stoeln or off some drug dealer becuase there is no law against "exhausts" that im aware off :rolleyes: ... he really was just being an a-hole.

To be honest, I wouldnt bother taking it any further becuase for any 1 w@nker, i'd like to think there are 10 that are really sound (which generally they are to me, even when i'm actually in the wrong :o )

I'm just gonna take my certs down to the Garda station where my mate is stationed and ensure its all clear ... dont want a summons 8 months down the line :rolleyes:

.. I was actually a bit worried because if he was being intentionally difficulty with me, what is to stop him going back to the station and making something up to cause me more intentional hassle (god knows what, faulty break light or something and giving me a summons) ... he wouldnt do that would he?

It just annoys me that I have contact with a member of the force maybe once a year and every time they are rude and aggresive. This causes me to get very defensive which just makes things worse. I dont expect them to be my best mates but a small bit of professional behaviour wouldnt kill them.
    I have to say that almost every Garda i've run into has been more than nice. Still, it's very important to deal with the ignorant/power trippers among them, they do untold damage to the reputation of the force.

I have run into a few Gardai in work and I have asked them why some of their workmates have this ignorant attitude and they usually respond by just saying that it happens over time. Which in my view is the time where you should change job rather than taking it out on the general public.
    I'd go a little further and say that a job change should be forced upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

they usually respond by just saying that it happens over time.

Weird, I find the older ones nice. The younger ones don't seem to have good skills with the public.

They were searching for a body near where I live, this is the reaction I got when I made a friendly inquiry.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58102034&postcount=16

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've picked up on a bit of attitude from you here before mate and its about time you got it IN YER FACE!!!

No offence like! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

make a complaint, then after hunt him down, take his house, kids, leave him homeless, happy then? wa***R!!!
    its called getting muppet boy racers off the road get used to it!!

pipsqueak wrote: »
    make a complaint, then after hunt him down, take his house, kids, leave him homeless, happy then? wa***R!!!
    Read the thread first, then squeak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Yeah yeah do you really think that C_breeze got "pulled" for nothing..

Are you feeling alright? :rolleyes:

I was pulling into a carpark of a venue as it was a colleagues birthday party. Not doing handbrakers in a Glanza with a load of heads in the back! (thanks LIGHTNING :D )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Guards in this country appear to think that owning a car that may be possible to drive quickly is a crime; see the Garda that appeared at the Motors meet....

Listen bud, This guy stopped you looked around your car, asked you to produce in 10 days, you got all snotty as you obviously have a healthy disrespect for the law. Did you expect him to give you a big hug and say merry xmas? i worked in us since 02 and u think oirish cops give you grief? try chicago cops!!! and making spurious vexatious claims against an officer over there will get you in a sh*t load more trouble than over here!
    Just say yes sir no sir ill produce thanks and goodbye, keep your mouth shut and being polite means keeping quiet!!

MYOB wrote: »
    Guards in this country appear to think that owning a car that may be possible to drive quickly is a crime; see the Garda that appeared at the Motors meet....
    not all guards APPEAR to think that, little bit of generalising going on there me thinks

Listen bud, This guy stopped you looked around your car, asked you to produce in 10 days, you got all snotty as you obviously have a healthy disrespect for the law. Did you expect him to give you a big hug and say merry xmas? i worked in us since 02 and u think oirish cops give you grief? try chicago cops!!! and making spurious vexatious claims against an officer over there will get you in a sh*t load more trouble than over here!
    Just say yes sir no sir ill produce thanks and goodbye, keep your mouth shut and being polite means keeping quiet!!
    If you want to live on your knees then by all means go ahead, pipsqueak. Some of us, however, are aware that we pay the Gardai to serve us.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

wa***R!!!

Warned.

Same goes for JJJJNR. I saw your post before you edited out the personal abuse.

• Advertisement

If you want to live on your knees then by all means go ahead, pipsqueak. Some of us, however, are aware that we pay the Gardai to serve us.
    serve you? what do you want room service? pat on the head? Garda here did his job by the book,

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

My brother is a young driver with a skyline -yes it's a modded 'boy racer' car etc so not surprisingly he gets pulled alot. Same routine you got, one checks docs the other does the walk around looking for anything not street legal. He carries all his docs in the car so he can produce on the spot. Each time its been checked there and then and he's been let go on his way. So sounds like you were just unlucky.

The Gardai really need to look at their enforcement policy simply pulling cars that have exterior mods is a ridiculous process and the continual harassment and bad attitude adopted towards drivers of mod'd cars shouldn't be allowed. Fair enough if they're doing something illegal -speeding, dangerous driving, etc - enforce the law. But continuous pulling when no offence has been committed and someone is just driving home is frustrating and alienates the responsible drivers in the community -yes they do exist same as the complete morons that drive standard cars also exist.

Pip, good policing is interacting with the community. Manners should be expected from the Gardai unless of course people are making trouble.

serve you? what do you want room service? pat on the head? Garda here did his job by the book,
    I want courtesy & professionalism. Why don't you?

lightening wrote: »
    Pip, good policing is interacting with the community. Manners should be expected from the Gardai unless of course people are making trouble.

i 100% agree with you but can you tell me where the garda was not showing good manners in this instance?

i 100% agree with you but can you tell me where the garda was not showing good manners in this instance?

Well, he didn't say hello in the first place. Would you go about your job serving the public without saying hello to someone when approaching them?

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Yeah yeah do you really think that C_breeze got "pulled" for nothing..

HAHA :D good one. Anyway, yeah nothing at all.

pipsqueak wrote:

Well you see bud, I'm not a fan of causing myself unneccessary inconveniences so for the sake of making life easy for myself; I was actually addressing him as sir and remained very polite.

My gripe is that I had ALL of my certs with me in the car!!! Absolutely no reason for a request to Produce. He wouldnt look at them, so what exactly is the point having them in my car ... never mind having my window discs clearly visible & up to date!?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

not all guards APPEAR to think that, little bit of generalising going on there me thinks

Entirely justified generalisation, though. In my encounters with the Guards I've found one who was very helpful, a number who were brusque but did their job (entirely acceptable); and a large number who were incompetent and lacked people skills entirely.

You dont need the cert in your car. The day of taking insurance details on the side of the road is gone, you have to produce so when u give your details at the station and your insurance policy number comes up it can be flagged as being valid or invalid or whatever. The gardai dont have remote pulse machines on roadside. so by him saying "i dont have a computer" he was correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

It's times like that when you wish you had an in-car camera, the Garda Commissioner might start to pay attention if the footage turned up on YouTube.

Good point I really need to move my mic for this purpose

Advertisement