Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

Wonder if the sign above the door "We Don't do ordinary" will go down as a serious own goal as I couldn't count the amount of people who have said to me they wouldn't go there as they just wanted something ordinary.
    Also it called itself a gastropub and while that might attract a clientele in a major city I'm not sure if it was something that would attract the hordes this side of the Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Wonder if the sign above the door "We Don't do ordinary" will go down as a serious own goal as I couldn't count the amount of people who have said to me they wouldn't go there as they just wanted something ordinary.
    Also it called itself a gastropub and while that might attract a clientele in a major city I'm not sure if it was something that would attract the hordes this side of the Shannon

I think it would do a good trade in Sligo town itself but there's tough competition in Strandhill.

I thought the food there was lovely anytime I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

The holy mechandise shop across the cathedral is closing thanks to the internet https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/11/30/veritas-shop-in-sligo-town-to-close/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was working near that shop for a few weeks lately. I don't think I ever saw anybody going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Vlove wrote: »
    The holy mechandise shop across the cathedral is closing thanks to the internet https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/11/30/veritas-shop-in-sligo-town-to-close/

Ah pity! I was only in it a few weeks ago and my Mam bought some books and a light in there. Lovely ladies who worked there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

We can add Athletes foot to the list they've a closing down sale on now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mickwat155 wrote: »

It's such a stupid name for a shop but still a shame to see another place closing in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

DenMan wrote: »
    Ah pity! I was only in it a few weeks ago and my Mam bought some books and a light in there. Lovely ladies who worked there.

Its only a shop I have been in once or twice, other than buying an Xmas Crib, have had no other reason to go into it, but very sad to see some actually celebrating the closure of their stores. What ever people think of the catholic church here in Ireland, we are still a catholic country, and still have a good percentage who practise and celebrate it.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Worry not, it's all elverys anyway. They'll probably put in the golf shop or something in there. Hard to have sympathy when its all part of a bigger company.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

Worry not, it's all elverys anyway. They'll probably put in the golf shop or something in there. Hard to have sympathy when its all part of a bigger company.

Sympathy is for the staff if they are not taken back into the main store. Also, it is not good for the town nor consumers when another shop closes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It was also the only place in town where you could get decent trainers. The selection everywhere else is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

It's such a stupid name for a shop but still a shame to see another place closing in Sligo.

This lot should open an adult toy shop instead and call it 'AIDS'...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

I haven't checked if someone has already said it but video city is closing aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I haven't checked if someone has already said it but video city is closing aswell

thought that went a couple of months back

Went into video city a few month ago, one half as the internet cafe, with the other half taken up with a rack or two of DVDs, with a very poor selection.

Went by last week, the Phone Repair guy in the front window, had moved into the DVD section. Looks like he is done as a DVD outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Heitons, Castle St have a closing down sale at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ They're just rebranding as BrandMax - similar to what happened to their store in Carrick-On-Shannon.

dingding wrote: »
    Heitons, Castle St have a closing down sale at the moment.

Seen that this morning and I gotta say, their signage is scary looking with the text being melted black and the white background as a rag lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

on bridge street and moving all into carraroe.. it even says it in the article..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Indulge restaurant on O'Connell street have papered over the windows and have 'closed permanently' signs up. No major surprise, there was hardly ever anyone in it. I had never been, the menu was uninspiring too.

tinpib wrote: »
    Indulge restaurant on O'Connell street have papered over the windows and have 'closed permanently' signs up. No major surprise, there was hardly ever anyone in it. I had never been, the menu was uninspiring too.

Word was he had taken out quite a contract with the building owner. Lost count now how many restaurants there since the Bistro moved over increased rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Word was he had taken out quite a contract with the building owner. Lost count now how many restaurants there since the Bistro moved over increased rates.

I think the Bistro moved due to excessive rent, not rates?

That's what Dale Barber told me, anyways.

tinpib wrote: »

is it just me or does it seem no-one seems to last very long in that particular building?

is it just me or does it seem no-one seems to last very long in that particular building?

Yeah Oconnor bros that was there before indulge didn't last long..

Yeah Oconnor bros that was there before indulge didn't last long..

and Vitto's didnt last long as well. We had a birthday meal in there when it was Vittos ...

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Actually herd over the weekend some one else is giving that premises a go sounds like there will be some work happening so could a while before it opens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

sligono1 wrote: »
    Actually herd over the weekend some one else is giving that premises a go sounds like there will be some work happening so could a while before it opens

Must be the new sweet beat place now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Petrol station at Christies on MCR/Pearse Rd ceasing to trade from tomorrow.

Can't compete with Applegreen despite the personal touch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Stuck between two Applegreens. They hadn't a hope.

Applegreen were 146.9 for petrol yesterday. Watch it go up over the next week.

Advertisement