Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic Unmarked Car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

I know the customs have some C reg Avensis ...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Am pretty sure there is often an 'LS' BMW in Portloaise with a speed gun pointing out the window..
    Note to self: paint hairdryer black, park near Laois, and stick it out the window :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

dunser wrote: »
    Hi

I was going to work this morning and a Car in front of me had stopped to let what I thought was a Commerical Hyundai Jeep out on to main Road. After he had let the Jeep out the driver of it flashed its Hazzard lights to signal his thanks when the Garda Blue Strobe lights came on in the back window. I was amazed as the jeep was Registed with a Wicklow Reg and looked totally like a builders jeep. So folks watch out!!!!!

Agree with colm mcm particularly if you are around south Dublin/north Wicklow, that is likely a private ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Am up and down the M7/M8 every week. At present they have 2 330d BMW's. 1 blue and 1 Silver, both 07D Also a dark navy Volvo S80 an 08D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

there used to be an evo7 on fermoy bypass but reliability issues meant they were given up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

the_syco wrote: »
    Note to self: paint hairdryer black, park near Laois, and stick it out the window :P

LOL are you just being flash and letting us know you have a BMW the_syco??? :P

Dunser confirmed it...be afraid...be very afraid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think he posted a few weeks ago about recently buying a Honda Civic :)

I was overtaken on the ring road in Kilkenny today by two unmarked cars that I've never noticed before. One was an old-model Renault Megane hatchback and the other was a current-gen Focus hatch, both with the blue lights on. I didn't notice what plates they had though.
    I've seen that 5-series around Portlaoise a couple of times too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TheDriver wrote: »
    there used to be an evo7 on fermoy bypass but reliability issues meant they were given up

No-one to chase, more like:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I heard recently there's an unmarked 330D patrolling up and down the M7. They even changed the grille from black to silver as the hidden lights were too easy to spot.

Also patrolling it & the M50 with a navy Nissan X-Trail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jon22

the hunter wrote: »
    and in blanch there was a unmarked subaru forrester ??
    I've seen an unmarked forrester in crumlin, its green and has a Gaillimh Abu sticker in the window! best disguise ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Anything non "D" reg is not interested in day to day stuff unless its totally blatant is my info...

Behave yerselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LOL are you just being flash and letting us know you have a BMW the_syco??? :P
    A BMW doesn't fit into my wallet. The Honda Civic does, however :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Am up and down the M7/M8 every week. At present they have 2 330d BMW's. 1 blue and 1 Silver, both 07D Also a dark navy Volvo S80 an 08D

I saw the blue one two weeks ago when I was heading back up from Cork. IT was pulled over at the entrance to the motorway near Fermoy (IIRC) where the old road joined the new bit of motorway and the driver was checking cars coming up to the motorway along with a few uniformed Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

There's a silver Mayo reg. subaru forrester with heavy tinted windows being used in Sligo by the traffic corps. Lights but no siren so was a bit reluctant to pull over...know plenty of muppets with those lights installed in their cars. Two points later...they were the real deal... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Theres a serious amount of unmarked Mondeos around here! It's funny though cos most are white with about 50 reflectors and lights on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

saw a 07 D silver BMW 7 series fly past myself and a squad car on the N7 Naas offramp night before last. was easily doing 100mph, since it haired past me and the squad car, both doing 80mph. as it drove past the squad car, it turned on its own lights to signify it was an undercover car, the squad car flashed its lights, and off it went. coolest thing ive ever witnessed. didnt have a CLUE it was an undercover car. i thought i was gonna get to see an epic piece of action when it flew past me, heading towards the garda car in front.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Saw the ANPR mondeo (silver/blue) around Summerhill yesterday. The 'camera' on the bootlid does stand out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

But are undercover Guards allowed to use their own vehicles and install internal blue lights or the like? Why would Guards need a 7 series unless it was a private vehicle? Dignitaries perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is a big difference between 'undercover' and 'unmarked'........

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Good point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Saab Ed wrote: »
    This is about 10 years ago now but I used to work for a company that supplied goods and services to Garda HQ in the Park. You always invoiced the chassis number not the reg because on the real undercover stuff they would change them around. Picking out a normal plain clothes un-marked Garda car can be pretty easy but the real undercover stuff ,now thats a different story. All sorts of makes , stickers , country reg's ,damage ,child seats ,everything. Infact I thought some of the cars belonged to the guards themselves.

I was caught doing a bit of fancy overtaking about 10 years ago by a garda in his personal car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yep, from what I've read here alone that seems to be the case.

Unmarked = Mondeo/Vectra/Focus/etc that most people would cop to in a second.

Undercover = Not a chance in hell you'd ever know it was a Garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

FreeFallin wrote: »
    Moral of the story, dont do anything stupid on the roads. You will get caught. They're there to facilitate everyones needs not one individuals thirst for adrenaline.

I logged in just to say this

shut the hell up no one cares

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

TheDriver wrote: »
    whiterebel wrote: »
    No-one to chase, more like:D

:eek:

I had Better start taking it easy on the then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Went to Newry today, unmarked blue Fiat Ulysse people carrier had pulled someone going northbound. not an obvious Garda car!

Advertisement