Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashtown on Joe Duffy NOW.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lilly/DNB

I have loads of experiance with dogs mostly working animals and hunters but I would never take a pit bull

:D:D:Dlook at the breeds history:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lilly (by the way my rescue Saluki is a Lily !),

Email points seem fine but you should also copy the Council figures to the ISPCA & Dogs Trust who both round up strays but don't get a €1 million for doing it. This tender should of been offered to animal charities. If the wardens were from a charity background they would put the needs of the dogs first.

Some how we need to find out how the Pound contract was tendered & how the present operators were chosen. As I am new to this board who are the three organisations who pay 300k each ?. Did they group together for the tender ?.

I reckon that some of us could do a pretty good job for €1 million !. Does anyone know the company name of the pound operator as it would be interesting to look at their accounts ?.

The best way that we can help the dogs is to pursuade the right people to tender & take over the running of the pound. I doubt if Duffy will mention it again as 90% of the Irish public don't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Doggymad

I reckon that some of us could do a pretty good job for €1 million..

i like the sound of that ' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Completely off topic for a sec but as a link was given here, I watched dogtown last night through a lot of tears. Heartbreaking stuff & I think Cherry & Georgia will haunt me for a long time.

First off, I'm in no way sticking up for Ashton. I've been up there countless times. The sheds/stables at the back that Lily mentioned - I got my own beautiful girl who was a restricted pup out of there literally at the last minute before she was pts, purely by chance & with a large dose of parvo to boot.

But at least they are an open pound. People can see what is going on there to a degree & now the public has heard about it too. I would be as worried, if not more about what is going on in closed pounds throughout the country that none of us see. I managed to get a dog out a closed pound once through a lot of wrangling & stretching of truths & by God, it was so much worse. They have light in Ashton, more than this place.

My own personal opinion is if you are going to have a go at this, then try to get something in place for ALL pounds.
    There are so many dogs suffering beyond our belief in pounds across the country & we don't see or know about it.

cotton wrote: »
    Completely off topic for a sec but as a link was given here, I watched dogtown last night through a lot of tears. Heartbreaking stuff & I think Cherry & Georgia will haunt me for a long time.

First off, I'm in no way sticking up for Ashton. I've been up there countless times. The sheds/stables at the back that Lily mentioned - I got my own beautiful girl who was a restricted pup out of there literally at the last minute before she was pts, purely by chance & with a large dose of parvo to boot.

But at least they are an open pound. People can see what is going on there to a degree & now the public has heard about it too. I would be as worried, if not more about what is going on in closed pounds throughout the country that none of us see. I managed to get a dog out a closed pound once through a lot of wrangling & stretching of truths & by God, it was so much worse. They have light in Ashton, more than this place.

My own personal opinion is if you are going to have a go at this, then try to get something in place for ALL pounds.
    There are so many dogs suffering beyond our belief in pounds across the country & we don't see or know about it.
    Jesus and this is really only all coming out now its madness unbelievable we all know about it now so we have to do something for all of these pounds,

i also seen dog town what a story heartbreaking but respect to that rescue they gave these dogs a second chance when no1 else would it was an unbelievable feeling when it came to the end it was like thats what rescue is all about seen these dogs knowing what it feels like to be happy was great..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

Once you enforce standards for a pound - and I mean enforced by law - then all the others will have to abide by as well.

completley agree with you cotton :o

everyone is focossing on Ashton, atleast they let people in to see whats going on its the pounds that are not letting anyone in that i would be more concernd about .... why are they so protective of not letting anyone in ? atleast we know that the dogs in Ashton are being cared for by the volenteers and they are doing there best to highlight the problems , but what about all the dogs that suffer in silence ' we have to help them :(
    please please can we all get together on this one and fight for every dogs rights that are in all pounds ... Ashton is probably one of the best dog pounds so can yous imagine what the rest are realy like ???
    EVERYONE has to stand up and be counted for and shout for help for all these dogs ..... please dont sit back and watch and wait for others to do the work ' we NEED EVERYBODYS help xxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Doggymad wrote: »
    Bernard can i ask you why you wouldnt ' take ' a pitbull ? :D

Doggymad I The main reason I would not take a pitbull from a rescue is purely I would have no idea of its history. Yes they are a loyal and friendly breed but as said before did its previous owner do the right thing by the dog. My brother has three all rescues two of which are the calmest lumps you have ever met. The third lad has one mean nasty side about him which only manifested two years after he arrived. Yes you can be lucky and get a well adjusted animal but with family it would not be a risk i would be willing to take.

oh so you know the history behind every other pound dog ' thats great :confused:

sorry did you mean your brother has 3 rescued pitbulls ? or 3 rescued other breeds ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Excuse me, lads, but could the people arguing about restricted breeds please take it to a separate thread? (I'm not a mod, and am speaking here purely on my own behalf, but it's confusing the issue for me, and it's a pain to have to scroll down posts of argument about a separate issue.)

I heard Joe Duffy, and was astonished to hear that the vet did not have any responsibility for inspecting the manner in which dogs were put down.

If the pound is as bad as described, why hasn't a cruelty-to-animals prosecution been made?

Does this pound have cats and other animals as well, by the way?

Incidentally, a slight side issue, but a friend who lives in the mountains tells me that the number of animals being abandoned up there (to virtually certain death) has skyrocketed with the recession.

By the way, why isn't the dog licence tied to a requirement to have the dog chipped and vaccinated? People, sadly, take more care of anything they've paid money for.

Excuse me luckat but was the Joe Duffy show not partly about why the pits were killed unnesascary??? and have they not got the worse faiths ?
    and if you read my 3rd post up you will see that i am concerened for all dogs not just the listed ones ' and why dont you go visit one of these pounds then you will feel as strongly as us wen you see the way every single dog is being treated ... it makes you feel so sick and helpless and ye cant help but vent anger which i,m sure everyone does at some stage '
    the Joe Duffy was a public show so a good few people are only getting to hear whats happening ' we are fighting for these dogs a long time now and we are glad to see it being highlighted and are glad of your help ' but wen people come on and start conemning breeds its unfair and adds to the problem , so i myself cannot help but jump to he defence of them '
    so sorry if you dont want to hear it or read it but its a fact !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I certainly do want to read about *the question we're discussing*. But long rows about different breeds are beside the point.

Do none of the volunteers - in either the open pounds or the closed ones - have a mobile phone with a camera on it to take a few photos of the conditions in which the animals are kept, and under which they're put down?

Doggymad wrote: »
    Excuse me luckat but was the Joe Duffy show not partly about why the pits were killed unnesascary??? and have they not got the worse faiths ?
    and if you read my 3rd post up you will see that i am concerened for all dogs not just the listed ones ' and why dont you go visit one of these pounds then you will feel as strongly as us wen you see the way every single dog is being treated ... it makes you feel so sick and helpless and ye cant help but vent anger which i,m sure everyone does at some stage '
    the Joe Duffy was a public show so a good few people are only getting to hear whats happening ' we are fighting for these dogs a long time now and we are glad to see it being highlighted and are glad of your help ' but wen people come on and start conemning breeds its unfair and adds to the problem , so i myself cannot help but jump to he defence of them '
    so sorry if you dont want to hear it or read it but its a fact !!
    i can back that up we have being fighting for this to be public for a long time but for some reason nobody would open their mouth and say something its great to be here talking about things now that it has come out so the question is what are we going to do about it???

and in relation to the listed breeds well let me outline something that is certain breeds are being killed even at 8 weeks old at this pound managers say so i for one will bring that issue up at every giving chance i get i wont turn a blind eye to it every dog deserves a chance in life..

i think rather than people arguing about restricted breeds please take it to a separate thread

i think people should stop singling out breeds and there for people that own them and love them wont be responding i have 3 wonderful pit bulls all live together in my home i also care full time for my son he is high dependent they love him to peaces so im sorry if i take offence to people when they say nasty things about this breed so please have some consideration for the responsible owners that own these dogs it can be hurtful

its definitely somthing to look into ' its a pity joe Duffy couldnt get someone to go up ' apparantly DCC sent people up to check on the place yesterday but they work for DCC, i think an independant person should be sent to investigate ' they should take swabs ect to see exactly whats liveing in these pounds ' or the public should give thema list to check and give answers on .... you should find out who to write and complain to and find out what your tax paying money is being spent on ... everyone should do an email of complaint right now and send it around to your families and work colleagues and get them all to submitt letters and asking for relpys ...

Doggymad I The main reason I would not take a pitbull from a rescue is purely I would have no idea of its history. Yes they are a loyal and friendly breed but as said before did its previous owner do the right thing by the dog. My brother has three all rescues two of which are the calmest lumps you have ever met. The third lad has one mean nasty side about him which only manifested two years after he arrived. Yes you can be lucky and get a well adjusted animal but with family it would not be a risk i would be willing to take.

[FONT=&quot]That is true you will never know the history of any breed you take from the pound, but because 1 of them has developed a nasty streak is not down to his breed. has any1 ever seen pit bulls being saved from scumbags fighting them?? well dogs that have being in a fight for maybe 2/3 hours after such a horrifying ordeal they have always shown love and loyalty to humans im sure any1 who has seen these programs must have noticed this bernard0368 im not having a go at you but please research this breed instead of reading **** that comes from tds newspapers, councils and the fighting sick people who have this breed the bad name, they have this bad name and yet never has any1 ever being attacked by a pit bull terrier in Ireland and that’s the truth....[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I have to say that some people are losing me by focusing solely on the restricted breeds issue. Don't get me wrong, I am wholeheartedly opposed to the killing of these dogs just because of their breed but the Joe Duffy show was about more than that. People are now, and should be talking about the pound system as a whole throughout this country and the state it is in. What about the fact that some pounds kill ALL dogs not just the restricted breeds. Not everyone is as passionate about them as some of you and you will lose people may be interested in helping. I'm passionate about the welfare of sighthounds and how they are treated but I realise that others aren't and that they aren't the only dogs that suffer in pounds, therefore I'm not going to harp on about them the whole time (an boy could I:D) People are beginning to come together, people are motivated to do something about this issue and on here we keep getting bogged down in the same old discussions about the restricted breeds. This is part of the problem and it should be addressed but in the context of the problem with pounds as a whole.

(And I don't mean this in a mean spirted fashion at all, but please, long paragraphs without any full stops are really hard to read and are beginning to frustrate me and others. I know Ive stopped reading them as its quite hard work so others may be doing the same and therefore the point isn't getting through)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Lilly/DNB wrote: »
    A dog that has been abused to make it fight can't be rehomed
    yes it can with people willing to take an interest..
    http://www.bestfriends.org/dogtown/index.cfm?csid=3725&csii=3782&csit=Set

if you let a PBT wander then you aren't looking after them properly.
    i agree with you 100% but this should go for all dogs..

It isn't the Pit Bull's fault he's dangerous he was bred that way. But he is dangerous.

This is the biggest fight the pit bull has "people", i take it you have never met one? the pit bull is one of the most stable breeds you could ever know, he is loyal, loving very eager to please his owner, yes these dogs were bred for animal combat decades ago the most important part of their breeding was to be non human aggressive dog aggression and human aggression are 2 totally different things and should never be mixed up. no different than what most breeds were bred for take the jrt and how small he is im sure were breed for badger bating the Doberman for protection Rhodesian Ridgeback breed to hunt lions with early socializing and training any breed can make a fantastic pet its not about breed,,
    I already said that Pit Bulls are loving and loyal. BUT I don't think they should be rehomed. There are a limited amount of resources available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Lilly/DNB wrote: »

i think rather than people arguing about restricted breeds please take it to a separate thread

I apologise for hurting your feelings, I shouldn't have said that Pit Bulls shouldn't be rehomed it was insensitive. I think we should minimise our demands to the appointement of an independent inspector tyo investigate all pounds and the creation of minimum pound standards.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

Can I just point people in this direction.
    http://www.anvilireland.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=5
    Facts and Figures are available on this website with ref to the country's Dog Pounds. Read about the treatment of cats too. They are fighting hard to make the changes to Animal Welfare. Join and add your voice they are also looking for people with certain skills to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Good discovery. Well done B'witched. I am joining Anvil !. A last an organisation has the right idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Apparently the over crowding conditions in Ashtown have improved since the Joe Duffy show, which has to be a good thing right?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

Mairt wrote: »
    Apparently the over crowding conditions in Ashtown have improved since the Joe Duffy show, which has to be a good thing right?.

On another forum it was said that 12 - 14 dogs were PTS wed/thurs and the kennel block disinfected :eek: So that solved the overcrowding :( and new ones brought in maybe put in the newly cleaned block....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Full recording is now available here. Right click and select save as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

So, has anything come of this? Petitions or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Just after reading this whole thread and feel the same as everyone else. I was listening J ryan this morning and my blood was boiling because the ISPCA, who do a lot of good work, also run or put their name to pounds in this country. My local pound is an ISPCA pound and is as bad if not worse that some of the ones discribed. They dont rehome any dogs either. It reminds me of a prisoner of war camp. How come the ISPCA can put thier names to names to these places???

Has anything happened or any ideas re petitions come to fruition since last post....

Advertisement