Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Clarity - Hydrogen Car.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

While I fully appreciate the argument that Hydrogen cars are not emission free, as it simply pushes the emissions further down the scale when it comes to actually developing the hydrogen used, surely a similar thing is happening with petrol/diesel today?

The oil must be drilled, transported, refined and transported again. Surely this also produces bad things for the enviroment, much like the processes involved in getting hydrogen to a state in which it can be used in cars.

Obviously these emissions in developing the petrol we use in cars today is not reflected in the official co2 output of a car, so why should we be unfairly biased by analysing the co2 used to develop hydrogen?

I accept it is a more arduous process to develop the hydrogen relative to petrol, but petrol still must be drilled and refined, and I think this fact has been overlooked thus far in this thread...

Well said sir....

Look this is a start, not an end. Teh fact is petrol will run out... hydrogen wont, and we have time yet to perfect Hydrogen farming.

As for the pathetic tabloid "hydrogen explodes" rubbish, in that case stick to your petrol ..... oh right!!!

roll on cold fusion then we'll have a limitless supply of Hydrogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That's why hydrogen is such a good idea - unlike petrol or diesel it will never run out.

Once we change to Hydrogen the future of the car is guaranteed:)!

When we can have petrol type engines that run on Hydrogen, then that will make my day. And it's not as daft as you might think either, BMW's Hydrogen7 proves that you can have all the noise and joie de vivre of a petrol engine but no emissions at all.

One of the other upsides of Hydrogen is that it is particularly efficient when it is used in a Rotary engine, much more so than a Rotary engine that runs on petrol, now what petrol head doesn't want to have more Wankel engines around the place:)?

As I said in another thread, the car is far too useful an invention to ever get rid of. Much and all as the eco-heads want to get rid of the car, it's never ever going to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Well said sir....

Look this is a start, not an end. Teh fact is petrol will run out... hydrogen wont, and we have time yet to perfect Hydrogen farming.

As for the pathetic tabloid "hydrogen explodes" rubbish, in that case stick to your petrol ..... oh right!!!

roll on cold fusion then we'll have a limitless supply of Hydrogen

Hydrogen will never take off well maybe in the US where it is being pushed. I believe the future is in electric cars, there are a few companies working on weird and wonderful things, here for example is a 500BHP supercar that doesn't need charging for up to seven years between charges, this will be out next year

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/news-071208.php

Also theres Blacklight Power, who will be producing very cheap polution free electricity for upcoming plug in Hybrids and the like, they have already signed contracts for an electricity company to install their equipment. Theses will replace existing coal / gas electricity setups by swapping the fuel source but keeping the infrastructure.

http://www.blacklightpower.com/

And not forgetting our very own Irish tech firm Steorn, who have a magnetic theory of producing free cheap electricity.

http://www.steorn.com/

So while all of the above have to prove themselves, it doesn't seem that we have long to wait. Very exciting times.

The future is electric!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    doesn't need charging for up to seven years between charges, this will be out next year

is it nucular?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

gpjordanf1 wrote: »

And not forgetting our very own Irish tech firm Steorn, who have a magnetic theory of producing free cheap electricity.

http://www.steorn.com/

The future is electric!

Whilst I agree that elec/int combustion is the future, adding Steorn to your point really doesnt do anything for its credibility.

Steorn = >100% efficiency = create energy from nothing = create mass = create universes = GOD!

Steorn are a joke, the only thing funnier is the people that invest in them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Stekelly wrote: »
    At the end of the day the only difference is you'll be stopping more often to fill up.

Hurray I'll be rich, rich I tells ya !

:)

*Hammertime goes off to order his Bugatti Veryon.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Electric cars will never work because they have a very limited range.

This wouldn't be much of a problem if like an internal combustion engine or in a fuel cell it only took a few minutes to "fill" up but it doesn't. When an electric car is out then it is out for several hours.

Fuel cells have a limited range too but it only takes a few minutes to fill them up with hydrogen, in the same way a petrol or diesel car only takes a few minutes to fill up.

And all they do is shift the pollution from the car to the electricity plant. Which 99% of the time runs on good old fossil fuel.

They're not very efficient and unlike a fossil fueled car which gets more efficient as you go faster, electric cars get *less* efficient.

The only time they're any good is if you're stuck in traffic, and let's face it that is a PITA as well as bad for the economy(traffic congestion costs lots of man hours) and our quality of lives, as well as our sanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mr.David wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that elec/int combustion is the future, adding Steorn to your point really doesnt do anything for its credibility.

Steorn = >100% efficiency = create energy from nothing = create mass = create universes = GOD!

The whole Blacklight Power thing appears to be, shall we say, rather suspect as well if you Google deep enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Now Im no scientist, but surely the ideal solution is if they invented some sort of synthetic oil. Then there would be no need to change anything!

But I suppose some bright spark somewhere has already thought of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

E92 wrote: »
    Electric cars will never work because they have a very limited range.

This wouldn't be much of a problem if like an internal combustion engine or in a fuel cell it only took a few minutes to "fill" up but it doesn't. When an electric car is out then it is out for several hours.

Fuel cells have a limited range too but it only takes a few minutes to fill them up with hydrogen, in the same way a petrol or diesel car only takes a few minutes to fill up.

And all they do is shift the pollution from the car to the electricity plant. Which 99% of the time runs on good old fossil fuel.

They're not very efficient and unlike a fossil fueled car which gets more efficient as you go faster, electric cars get *less* efficient.

The only time they're any good is if you're stuck in traffic, and let's face it that is a PITA as well as bad for the economy(traffic congestion costs lots of man hours) and our quality of lives, as well as our sanity!

Hang on!

You are on to me about dismissing hydrogen due to its limitations and saying that they will all be ironed out, quoting the evolution of DI as an example. But now you are dismissing electric power for the same reasons!!

Its fair to assume that elec battery tech can improve hugely, especially if supercapacitors can be controlled to allow gradual release of energy.

Similarly the argument about shifting pollution to the power plant equally holds with hydrogen! You cannot just pluck H2 out of thin air.

Im sure we can agree that for either to work, we will need electricity (either to power the cars, or to produce H2). So assume that this will be produced via a renewable source. You now have two options: to waste 25% of the electricity produced by creating H2 or to simply use it in its current form.......straight away you are more efficient by choosing electric power.

• Advertisement

Mr.David wrote: »

Innocent until proven guilty?

From what I read they are not accepting invsetment from the public.

I wasn't looking for credibility to my point, I just gave a quick list of companies who are working on different projects who hopefully will lead to clean / cheap production of electricity and a better future for us.

There are more but I think these are closer to the finishing line, some will fail but hopefully some wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is only one type of vehicle that uses electricity efficiently and has been doing so for about 100 years ...

...the trolleybus !

Alun wrote: »
    The whole Blacklight Power thing appears to be, shall we say, rather suspect as well if you Google deep enough.

If you Google even deeper you would find that this guy has been at this for over 20 years, surely if it was an out and out scam it would have been proven so by now.
    Where I think that a fringe science could well take over 20 years to be accepted my main stream science. Now dont forget these main stream guys love being told that they may be wrong.

Also on the site they have independent testing done by a university which was quickly followed up by a electricity company signing non exclusive contracts.

So, while I'm still not fully convinced yet myself, surely when this company goes to turn on this switch, the proof one way or another will be there plain to see.

Also, the American military and Lockeed Martin are in the wings waiting to sign contracts.

No somke without fire, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Surely the one main point that needs considering about this car is...

It's exhaust is WATER VAPOUR! Has to be a good thing regardless of anything else. Governments should be gearing up for these and start importing Honda Claritys as soon as possible. Shouldn't they? One major step toward reversing the Green House problem.

Some interesting pics here.... http://www.hondanews.com/categories/865/photos?page=1

kleefarr wrote: »
    Surely the one main point that needs considering about this car is...

It's exhaust is WATER VAPOUR! Has to be a good thing regardless of anything else. Governments should be gearing up for these and start importing Honda Claritys as soon as possible. Shouldn't they? One major step toward reversing the Green House problem.

its no better than battery-electric

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There was a proposal on environmental and power issued including hydrogen power presented to An Taoiseach in 2007. Action on it has been slow, though other items in the proposal have (probably coincidentally) ended up in th Programme for Government

ninty9er wrote: »
    There was a proposal on environmental and power issued including hydrogen power presented to An Taoiseach in 2007. Action on it has been slow, though other items in the proposal have (probably coincidentally) ended up in th Programme for Government

they will probably have a ceremony where some worthless minister officially opens a hydrogen pump in dublin that can only fill one type of car and then watch it go unused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hayyman

Anybody see the Hydrogen car last night on Top Gear?

Honda Clarity - 136 BHP, 0-60 in 9 secs, fill up in a few seconds and the exhaust emissions are water. One moving part in the engine.

Looks like a normal car too.

Pretty cool!
    Seen the car, looks great and its miles ahead of any electric car, just hope it wont be a mad dear price when it comes out in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

towel401 wrote: »
    they will probably have a ceremony where some worthless minister officially opens a hydrogen pump in dublin that can only fill one type of car and then watch it go unused

It would ultimately be up to a supplier to decide who opens a pump. No sign of it happening any time soon either.

Advertisement