Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cr036 - Design Communication

Options
  • 15-12-2008 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing this after the LC. Anyone here who does it care to tell me a few things?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tallulah_crack

hey im in third year design at the moment. Its quite an intense course but well worth while if your creative and some what computer literate. let me know if you have any questions about the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

hey im in third year design at the moment. Its quite an intense course but well worth while if your creative and some what computer literate. let me know if you have any questions about the course.

PM'd you:) sorry about the late reply, been without the 'net for a while.

Bump!

tallulah_crack hasn't responded yet, so I'd love to hear from someone else too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Me too, if there's any boardsies studying it!

How was your entrance portfolio skewed? 100% illustrative art, 100% graphic design, some mix between the two?

How do you find the teaching (in particular re staff:student ratio)?

What do you think of your class group?

How do you find the facilites in CIT, particularly in studying for this course?

Do you collaborate/share anything with the crawford art college?

Do you find the course engaging/worthwhile? (This last question is so subjective, it's stupid, but I'll ask it ne'ertheless...)

Cheers!

Good questions kaki:)

Bump!

• Advertisement

Bump! Help would be greatly appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Generally you only bump something if it falls off the first page. This is a quiet forum so that won't happen for a bit. If someone from the course sees it I'm sure they'll reply.

Gauge wrote: »
    Generally you only bump something if it falls off the first page. This is a quiet forum so that won't happen for a bit. If someone from the course sees it I'm sure they'll reply.

Sorry about that, got to my thread through my profile page:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Hello there, I too, am on the course. 3rd year to be precise. Anyway, I'll answer some of those questions posed by another poster;

How was your entrance portfolio skewed? 100% illustrative art, 100% graphic design, some mix between the two?

I personally did a mix between the two, I strongly recommend doing a PLC course first, unless your really good. That's the route I took to get onto the course. Although they tend to give out high scores like they are going out of fashion!

How do you find the teaching (in particular re staff:student ratio)?

I consider them more as guides, they'll teach you the basics when you start off in first 1st year but your expected to explore and experiment on your own.

One of our lecturers has a worse track record for turning up to class than some students!

The course is small and the drop out rate is pretty high, out of about 40 people who start, only about 20 graduate. The lecturers do thier best to go around to everyone and most of them are willing to answer questions and give guidence outside of class if the need arises.

They're all nice people in their own way. One thing I've found from personal experince is that the 1st year groups are generally isolated from the other year groups but after that, the other year groups can get quite close. Last year, my year group and the year above us bonded together very well.

The facilites in CIT are generally speaking, a joke. Most of the books you want, especailly for Art History, are in the Crawford Libary ( Why isn't the course itself IN the crawford college? ) and the Number 5 Bus is extremely unrelibable, theres' often being times was late where no Number 5 came for nearly an HOUR.

As for our course, all the old, ancient computers were recently replaced with shiny new imacs. Don't expect to be using them much in first year, though. First year is generally more hands on, using older fashioned methods of design.

The rooms are ususally open in the evenings and often, people ( myself included ) would stay back and continue working on stuff, I rarely go to the libary to do ( except when I'm doing research and ideas ) as I don't need the space there.

Do you collaborate/share anything with the crawford art college?

Apart from a print making module, having access to the libary and some talks, nothing is generally shared.

Do you find the course engaging/worthwhile? (This last question is so subjective, it's stupid, but I'll ask it ne'ertheless...)

Its an intense course, especailly under this modulisation system. I guess its really what you make of it, I've always enjoyed the computer side of things more than the research and ideas but the course has helped me appreicate the design process as well as preventing me from becoming what we call a ' Mac Monkey ' who produces crap like that recent Max Power Event Poster / Flyer for anyone who has seen it. So, in that case, its worth it.

They're all nice people in their own way. One thing I've found from personal experince is that the 1st year groups are generally isolated from the other year groups but after that, the other year groups can get quite close. Last year, my year group and the year above us bonded together very well.

The facilites in CIT are generally speaking, a joke. Most of the books you want, especailly for Art History, are in the Crawford Libary ( Why isn't the course itself IN the crawford college? ) and the Number 5 Bus is extremely unrelibable, theres' often being times was late where no Number 5 came for nearly an HOUR.
    Art History? :eek::(

As for our course, all the old, ancient computers were recently replaced with shiny new imacs. Don't expect to be using them much in first year, though. First year is generally more hands on, using older fashioned methods of design.
    What do you mean by older fashioned?

Its an intense course, especailly under this modulisation system. I guess its really what you make of it, I've always enjoyed the computer side of things more than the research and ideas but the course has helped me appreicate the design process as well as preventing me from becoming what we call a ' Mac Monkey ' who produces crap like that recent Max Power Event Poster / Flyer for anyone who has seen it. So, in that case, its worth it.Link to the Max Power poster?:p

Here're some replies (in bold).

Just a few questions:

You mentioned Art History. Is that going to be on the course? Could you give me a brief outline of what's on the course?

Do you have a recent portfolio I can look at?

• Advertisement

Art History is refered to as Visual Culture now following semserisation but its the same thing. You'll spend a bit of time looking at the renassicance and other important art movements but you'll mostly be looking at movements that have had an impact on design, such as modernism and futurism and the Bauhaus. You'll also have to do a few essay and presentations, nothing major until later on, when you to do a Thesis.

Art history isn't the only theory, there contextual studies, which is business and socail side of things and print theory as well, though I think you'll like that the print lecturer when you meet him.

As for older fashioned methods, I mean the use of metal lettertypes, manual rollers, things like that as oppossed to Adobe Illustrator.

Sorry, I don't have a link to the poster and I can't a similar poster on the net, but its really bad quailty, using too much text and too many photoshop effects, it was a mess.

As for an example of my work, the closest thing I have is my DeviantART page, though I haven't keep it up to date very well; http://nhy.deviantart.com/

Art History is refered to as Visual Culture now following semserisation but its the same thing. You'll spend a bit of time looking at the renassicance and other important art movements but you'll mostly be looking at movements that have had an impact on design, such as modernism and futurism and the Bauhaus. You'll also have to do a few essay and presentations, nothing major until later on, when you to do a Thesis.

Art history isn't the only theory, there contextual studies, which is business and socail side of things and print theory as well, though I think you'll like that the print lecturer when you meet him.

As for older fashioned methods, I mean the use of metal lettertypes, manual rollers, things like that as oppossed to Adobe Illustrator.

Sorry, I don't have a link to the poster and I can't a similar poster on the net, but its really bad quailty, using too much text and too many photoshop effects, it was a mess.

As for an example of my work, the closest thing I have is my DeviantART page, though I haven't keep it up to date very well; http://nhy.deviantart.com/

Aside from the Art History/Visual Culture, this course sounds enjoyable. Thanks:)

Aside from the Art History/Visual Culture, this course sounds enjoyable. Thanks:)

Glad to be of serivce :)

Advertisement