Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurkers, come and say "hi"!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

im a lurker, and i know this will annoy some of ye, but i just cant understand vegans, and why they do it.
    like not even eating an egg!??! okay you may not like it,but for any other reasons, i find nonsense.

For the reasons I was vegetarian it made more sense for me to be vegan, I don't agree with the way milk and eggs are produced just like the way I don't agree with the way meat is produced.
    I know it may be a bit strange but I wouldn't go as far to describe it as nonsense!

Anyway, welcome to all the new people, and I'm glad too theres more vegans too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

biZrb wrote: »
    For the reasons I was vegetarian it made more sense for me to be vegan, I don't agree with the way milk and eggs are produced just like the way I don't agree with the way meat is produced.
    I know it may be a bit strange but I wouldn't go as far to describe it as nonsense!

That'd pretty much be my reason too. Animals are still exploited in the production of milk/eggs, it's all part of the same system. I wouldn't like to be hooked up to an industrial hose multiple times a day, so I wouldn't want it done to cattle for my benefit either.
    But then again, it is of course a personal choice. I can understand it not appealing to everyone.
    Didn't realise there were so many vegans on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yey! vegans :)

we should get another poll going for numbers on this forum. the poll should include: lacto-ovo veggies (eat dairy and egg), lacto veggies (eat dairy but not egg), ovo veggies (eat egg but not dairy), vegans, pescetarians, raw foodist, vegan-raw foodist. Can you think of any other categories?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

hi all!
    i have been lurking here for a while so i thought it was about time that i introduced myself:)
    im a relatively new veggie (lacto-ovo) only changed about 7 months ago.
    im loving it though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

And welcome to Aoifums also :D Wahey! Another vegan! ;)

Feels nice to have people like vegans, we're fairly rare. And if my mam has her way, then I won't be for much longer... She's not mad on the whole vegan thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

im a relatively new veggie (lacto-ovo) :D

The most common type I believe! Welcome to the forum ;)
    Aoifums wrote:
    And if my mam has her way, then I won't be for much longer... She's not mad on the whole vegan thing.

You gots to fight the power!!!!! :eek: :pac: :pac: :cool:

welcome sunshine rose :) am glad you are loving the change.

Aoifums - the only way around living with a family and being vegan is that you have to be prepared to cook for yourself and shop for yourself. So long as you have the food that you want to eat, you are set :) and if your mother sees that you can't be swayed, she will just have to learnt to accept it!

And for any new lurkers - we get thread like "Reasons there are so few vegetarians" every now and then with big arguments in each direction, but don't let that irritate you! I am happy to be vegan and not fond of arguments :D Best to just keep out of it if it doesn't suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Hi everyone,

Another lurker here, no meat or fish for years and now vegan since March '07.
    Best decision I ever made, tbh. :)

Aoifums - the only way around living with a family and being vegan is that you have to be prepared to cook for yourself and shop for yourself. So long as you have the food that you want to eat, you are set :) and if your mother sees that you can't be swayed, she will just have to learnt to accept it!

I do and I do. I think it's a health thing or she thinks I'm not eating enough, which I am. That or pressure from my relations who thought I was crazy when I went veggie, and now think I'm certifiably insane.

Hey sunshine rose and Rancid :)

Aoifums wrote:
    That or pressure from my relations who thought I was crazy when I went veggie, and now think I'm certifiably insane.

he he he!

Hey there Rancid :) Another vegan indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Hey goys

Been lurking around these parts for ages.

Don't really post here cos I dont regard myself as an 'active' vegetarian. I stopped eating meat when I was five and found out what is was. Since then it's been that simple - I don't object to other people eating meat and I'm don't mind cooking it for others. When certain people find out I don't eat it they try engage me in arguments but I don't care enough about the fact that others want to eat it to get involved.

Have never tasted bacon, any kind of fish or steak so I quite literally don't know what I'm missing :)

Interesting to hear peared :) I suppose you would be an active veggie if you aren't eating meat :D If you mean the kind of people to push it on others as a lifestyle, I find that very few veggies are like that. I for one refuse to engage in the anti-veggie arguments!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

*wanders in*

not the most frequent lurker, but usually at least once a week ill come in and have a good aul browse, find it very interesting, but am a generally crap veggie myself. diet consists of cereal, bread, cheap spread, the occasional spud, free range eggs, and chocolate. used to love fresh fruit, but prices went up a couple months ago, and have barely had any since, id say about october... when did the oil prices go sky high that time?

but aye, just thought i'd say hi, and thank all the regulars for their generally very interesting and informative posts.

ah Crumble Foo! You are not 'crap' veggie. you are a wonderful veggie whom does all the veggie things like avoid meat and such :)

though, i would recommend treating your self to a bit of fruit some time soon :D sure, the summer is on its way - delicious fruit will be in abundence!

*ahem*

i live in new zealand, it's the middle of summer, and fruit has gone up over 50% here in the last few months. $1.99 per kilo kiwifruit, $3.20 now, $2.60 per kilo apples, $4 now...being kicked out of the country and moving to australia on thursday, so gotta figure out the situation there when i get there. hehe, was funny at christmas, had dinner with family on the 25th and 26th, and my system just couldnt handle having eaten real food :D

lol! i completely understand with transport costs to New Zealand with the prices. but i also thought oil prices are better than they were... eh! Good luck with the travel :D

ah, the fruit went up iwth the oil, and though the oil's well back down again, ($1.32 = 0.583010 EUR, my family were here last week, and my bro was nearly crying when he was thinking of how much it cost him to fill up his car back home) fruit is still sky high. suppose it's nearing the end of season for a lot of stuff too, which is putting the cost up a bit.

meh, as long as ive a glass of orange juice and a spoon of molasses a day, i should be right :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Guess we are just lucky to have low price fruit, 10 bananas for a euro, oh yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

*wanders in*

used to love fresh fruit, but prices went up a couple months ago, and have barely had any since, id say about october... when did the oil prices go sky high that time?
    You must not have been shopping before Christmas. Dunnes and Tesco were selling Pineapples and Melons for 49 cents each.

emm... check ut the bit where i said i was in new zealand :P

bananas are one of our cheaper ones alright, not quite sure what they are though at the moment, been avoiding buying them in supermarkets, saving out for the fruit & veg wholesalers, except i can't drive, and the wholesalers are more difficult to get to, meaning i usually dont get round to buying any fruit. ah well, out of the country in 3 days now! :eek:

• Advertisement

*ahem*

fruit has gone up over 50% here in the last few months. $1.99 per kilo kiwifruit, $3.20 now, $2.60

Exact same here. It's over one euro in Tescos for two bananas. Well I suppose importing them from somewhere on the equator is fairly pricey.

The line about kiwis made me laugh just because you're in New Zealand.

man, you get in trouble for calling the fruit 'kiwi' here, you have to call it 'kiwifruit', because 'kiwi' is what you call the person, and my darling workmates decided to interpret my enjoying eating kiwis as an admission of cannibalism...

but on topic.. i have to say, have found it a zillion times easier to get things like tofu and falafal here, in the cheapest of cheap supermarkets, Pac'n'Save, they're readily available, as they are in the other standards (Woolworth, New World, somewhere else), whereas i found during my month back home that tesco had no falafal, and a very poor selection of tofu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

If you're looking to save €€€ on tofu I suggest you try Asian grocers. I got 300g for €1.50 in the Oriental Emporium off Jervis in Dublin. That's like less than half of what you would pay for those Cauldren products in Holland & Barrett's.

monellia wrote: »
    the Oriental Emporium off Jervis

Where is that exactly? I can't think of any Oriental shops near Jervis.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Its at the back of the Jervis Centre on Abbey Street, right beside the Luas stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Yep. Big mad supermarket of a yoke.

Thought this thread could do with coming back to entice others :) Sure, it worked for Aoifums and Crumble Foo! How you have settled well here :D

Anyone else lurking about, but don't know where to start?! Type away!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i feel like i skipped the queue, like i shud have lurked first... damn!

come out lurkers, its good to talk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

*stands up*

So I started lurking and reading up here a few weeks back and have since turned vegan. This is my fourth week =) I had never really thought about it that much and never actually enjoyed meat all that much anyway, but the way I see it now if you can have tasty, cheap, healthy food without involving animals, why go out of your way? So I'm going with a vegan diet for three months minimum but so far I'm fairly sure I'll be sticking with it long after that, cos it's forced me to finally learn how to cook nice things for myself, which is great =)

So far I've been finding out I was actually really clueless about a lot of things... eg., I didn't know what asparagus look like, or that spring onions = scallions. I'm still trying to either figure out where dunnes hide their tofu if they sell any, or the best place in town to get it. Finding some textured vegetable protein would be nice too but I suspect I'm not ready for that recipe yet anyway =D

Anywho, hello everybody, this is a really cool forum which I've enjoyed lurking in =)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi cocoa, I noticed your name at the bottom of the forum page a few times, lurking away!
    Welcome aboard, let's have some postings by you. :)

Gone straight vegan from eating meat/dairy/eggs?
    Well done, I'd find that tough. Best of luck with it, can't help you with dunnes having tofu, I've only really gotten it from health food shops.
    Need any help, just post!

Advertisement