Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you go?

Options
  • 12-12-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

It's happened utter chaos everywhere you look, the dead are rising and we are under attack you don't have much time left to get to safety, where would you go to hide out and who would you take?
    (I'm leaving the dog behind last thing i need is it getting bitten in the rush to safety and attacking me!! sorry poochy but resident evil just sealed your fate!!)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

sassa wrote: »
    It's happened utter chaos everywhere you look, the dead are rising and we are under attack you don't have much time left to get to safety, where would you go to hide out and who would you take?
    (I'm leaving the dog behind last thing i need is it getting bitten in the rush to safety and attacking me!! sorry poochy but resident evil just sealed your fate!!)
    You should really get your information from a more reputable source, according to Max Brooks dogs can be an invaluable tool.

All you city folk will distract the horde long enough for me to put my plans in motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

ScumLord wrote: »
    You should really get your information from a more reputable source, according to Max Brooks dogs can be an invaluable tool.

All you city folk will distract the horde long enough for me to put my plans in motion.

And Richard Matheson. But that was really vampires....hmm.

Head high up. Are there any reports of Zombies being able to climb?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

chin_grin wrote: »
    And Richard Matheson. But that was really vampires....hmm.

Head high up. Are there any reports of Zombies being able to climb?

Who knows? With the way the rules for zombies change all the time they could probably fly if they really wanted.

there's a thought flying zombies!:D

Although in the remake of dawn of the dead there were a few seen climbing in the crowd scenes. also another z movie (I cant remeber the name of the movie long time since i seen it) had one climbing a ladder into an attic after his prey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Deadzone

I'm already there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Who knows? With the way the rules for zombies change all the time they could probably fly if they really wanted.

there's a thought flying zombies!:D

Although in the remake of dawn of the dead there were a few seen climbing in the crowd scenes. also another z movie (I cant remeber the name of the movie long time since i seen it) had one climbing a ladder into an attic after his prey.

Aye, but I think zombies lack the required motor skills and co-ordination to navigate up a tree or ledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

also another z movie (I cant remeber the name of the movie long time since i seen it) had one climbing a ladder into an attic after his prey.
    That could be night of the living dead, where the whole "brainsss!" meme came from, when the jock boyfriend of the mildly attractive good girl was breaking into the attic in the funeral home, or that part in I am Legend where the infected zombie thing was peeling the plaster off the roof to get up there. Hardcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

my z-fortress lol

what if it starts in the countryside? us dubliners will be like "lol"; drain the canals, fill them with sharp things and fire, and sit back and be like, grand, who's for some cod4?

also, if they can climb, they can run. and if they can run, climbing will be the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I would flee to a small island off the coast and declare my own dictatorship. Mu wha ha ha ha ha. I'd have no minions to rule though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

schween wrote: »
    I would flee to a small island off the coast and declare my own dictatorship. Mu wha ha ha ha ha. I'd have no minions to rule though.:(

i'll join ya if i get to be master-general of your (yet to be assembled) army :D

Edit: also found a kick-ass island to take yesterday, was looking for a thread to post it in. i think the z-survival forum should officially claim it :D

GE: 52°35'41.91"N, 9°32'03.46"W

this caught my attention:
    Scatteryisland.jpg

That could be night of the living dead, where the whole "brainsss!" meme came from, when the jock boyfriend of the mildly attractive good girl was breaking into the attic in the funeral home, .

Thats the one alright. :) wasnt really a fan of i am legend thought it had great potential but it got a bit lost in places. the prequel should be worth seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

I'd head to the local church, not because i'm a god fearing man but like most church's its surrounded by a tall wall or fence with gates, Has big thick doors and plenty of wooden seats to block up windows or other vulnerable parts. A bell tower also makes for an excellent look out post to!
    I live in a small village so the church isn't huge, its an old church and is well built in stone, the surrounding area is mainly agri land so don't have to worry to much about being trapped by hordes in there thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

where would you go to hide out and who would you take?

Simple answer. I'd head for the radio station I work at, and seal the doors, you've got communication in there and you've also got thick walls, windows and an open plan.....and a Generator in case the power fails....and you've also got tons of office wood and paper to burn for heat

I'd carry as much food as I could that didn't slow me down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The dog in I am legend was very helpful
    up until the end lol

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Depends on where I was at the time of the Outbreak!

My first thought would be to return home (if realistically possible) to pick up supplies, make sure the wife hasn't become a Z.

My holdout area is a secret :D - sorry folks, but I can risk ye all rushing there and bringing Z's with ye. Obviously in the fullness of time, I'd go looking for survivors.

If I couldn't make it there, I'd holdout at my home, board it up, and then take on the risky role of Zombie Hunter, at least till most were cleared out of the immediate vicinity.

Then I'd go foraging in other houses, and hope for the best.

I think i'd head to the local tesco you have shutters at the front entrance so they'd be fairly secure gates and a wall around the back yard plus you have the advantage of the cctv cameras going round the outside of the building (ZTV) alarmed exits to warn of anyone getting in plenty of supplies and weapons in there (the bread in the local tesco is as good as any blunt object) and of course the generator. should tide over me and my chosen buds till we're ready to search for survivors!! (think i might have put a tad too much thought into this note to self: get a hobby!! :p )
    of course this all counts on it happening at night when there's no chance of any zombies in there!!

I think i'd head to the local tesco you have shutters at the front entrance so they'd be fairly secure gates and a wall around the back yard plus you have the advantage of the cctv cameras going round the outside of the building (ZTV) alarmed exits to warn of anyone getting in plenty of supplies and weapons in there (the bread in the local tesco is as good as any blunt object) and of course the generator. should tide over me and my chosen buds till we're ready to search for survivors!! (think i might have put a tad too much thought into this note to self: get a hobby!! :p )
    of course this all counts on it happening at night when there's no chance of any zombies in there!!

Tesco...

Damn that's clever. Wish I had thought of it first!

Ah well, I doff my hat to you! ;)

Tesco...

Damn that's clever. Wish I had thought of it first!

Ah well, I doff my hat to you! ;)

just thought of an added bonus i could get clubcard points with each kill:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

My plan for Z-day is really simple. Hey diddle, diddle, straight up the middle, cracking heads as I run. They may bring me down, but at least I'll die having fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

This isnt to far from where i am. It was built to accomadate 15000 people or so every time the RAF came over.

Its solid concrete about 3 metres thick. Thicker again on the roof. Theres about 3 doors recessed into the concrete, big steel things. If they were made by germans to survive bomb, i'd say the z's wont be getting in.

Also of note is that theres a balcony on top where the flak cannons used to sit. You could go up there to watch the shambling hordes devour survivers begging to be let in. Unless of course your one of them!

1120901.jpg

My God, it's like the ultimate Z-proof fortress!

You'd still need to have a garden on the roof for growing food, etc.

Love it, though! :D

• Advertisement

oztots wrote: »
    This isnt to far from where i am. It was built to accomadate 15000 people or so every time the RAF came over.
    No ground floor windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

No ground floor windows?

Nope, and the windows on the floors above are at the outside of the 3 metres of concrete. Wouldn't be to hard to put cages inside the windows.

Considering the roof used to be chock a block with AA guns, im sure a garden would fit up there.

The thing is a monstrosity. They tried to remove all buildings from the nazi era, took down one of these then thought screw it, that was far too much work. We'll just leave it there.

Legend. Plant a couple of wind turbines on the roof and a water reservoir, and you could sit out armageddon in that yoke. Bung in a biodiesel refinery (a good use for the walking dead at last!), possibly a methane plant for heating and fertiliser, and sorted. Chickens and pigs would survive just fine in the bowels of that fortress. As time goes on you could set up a machine shop or manufacturing plant for your spare parts as well. I'd assume tunneling out for raids is not an option through the foundations, but if you could get some choppers on the roof you have a range of hundreds of km to get resources from.

You couldn't grow enough food for 15,000 people though, maybe a hundred or so.

Also you could change one of the doors into a deadfall for the zombies (har har), dig a hole in the corridor filled with quicklime or spikes, open the door and have a "bait" person wave at them from behind a grille - they come rushing in, false floor collapses and its melty time. You could have people with crossbows to pop any that aren't immediately spiked, rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You're onto a winner there oztots, it looks like an industrial age castle which is what it is I suppose.

It looks derelict in that photo. Is it still in use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

oztots wrote: »

Its solid concrete about 3 metres thick. Thicker again on the roof. Theres about 3 doors recessed into the concrete, big steel things. If they were made by germans to survive bomb, i'd say the z's wont be getting in.

Also of note is that theres a balcony on top where the flak cannons used to sit. You could go up there to watch the shambling hordes devour survivers begging to be let in. Unless of course your one of them!

1120901.jpg
    Thats awesome we can survive their for a long time and with those trailers we could devise some mobile command attack vechile when we have to venture out to look for supplies or rescue realy hot chicks in distress!!!!!!! lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Disonyxiated

Yeah, but that huge random concrete RAF proof building isn't in Ireland is it!? So we'd all be screwed trying to find it! :] Personally I have a plan set up! There's a old car dealer on the N11 half-way between Bray & Wicklow! It has a lovely high fence with a nice two-storey house in the middle. Get the cars out of the yard. Camp it out in there & using a stolen Arctic truck from the nearby Roadstone Quarry raid the nearby towns & villages for food!

Safe, out of the city & nestled amongst the glorious Wicklow landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Happy new year , I'm already stockpiling for the oncoming zombie apocalypse ,
    Listening to some other people , a prison is a pretty safe bet , or an island like the blaskets , zombies can't swim? amirite?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Well im kinda leaning more toward a shopping center im from Cork City and Tescos or the Merchants Quay Shopping Center look likley targets even though barricading the lower levels in MQ would be alot of hassel,but food would be plentyful and if need be were overrun by said Zombie menace the river Lee is not to far away from either place and we can make our escape.

Now can anyone sail a boat ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

pretty easy , just take your foot off untill you feel the bite , then let down the handbrake?

If we start preparing now , im thinking 100ft high skyfortress..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

if anyone is ever out in swords, look out for fingalians football club, next to it is sluagh hall its where the 65th battalion reserve defense force march, very few windows, high walls surrounding it with pretty much one main gate, all the windows are already meshed and have gratings over them, id say in dublin that'd be one of the best bets, that HQ in town or the military hospital off phoenix park

Advertisement