Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail and the O2 - GET OUT OF THE 19th CENTURY!

Options
  • 12-12-2008 12:54am
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭


    A station alongside one of the top entertainment events in Europe now. Over 100 gigs a year. A massive customer base with a modern and underutilised station which connects the O2 Arena with the entire rail network (potentially, with a bit of imagination) and not a peep out of these muppets. A downturn in customer numbers. A surplus of trains. Station near the venue... an unfinished light rail connection and shag all parking...

    Can Irish Rail mentally be retarded? Serious. I am not joking. There has to be some explination for their utter lack of marketing and business development?

    Are IE management, unions and commerical managers mentally sub normal? Or are they some kind of NEw Age Bhuddists who reject money during a major cash flow period for them as part of their wider trancendental esoteric lifestyle?

    They are a joke beyond a joke. The first meeting of P11 5 years back I made a Powerpoint presentation with the title "IE - ONE OF THE WORST RAIL SERVICE PROVIDERS IN EUROPE? NO, ONE OF THE WORST IN THE WORLD"

    Nothing has changed in a real non-kit purchasing sense, they are a beyond pathetic.
    Tagged:


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D


    Irish Rail are so short sighted that they purposely built a station in the docklands that can be accessed by Kildare trains, but not by Maynooth trains, when it would have been just as easy to do both.
    Not advertising no stupider than the standard decisions they make every day and the way they treat their customers.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011


    Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Irish Rail are so short sighted that they purposely built a station in the docklands that can be accessed by Kildare trains, but not by Maynooth trains, when it would have been just as easy to do both.
    Not advertising no stupider than the standard decisions they make every day and the way they treat their customers.

    Kildare trains can't get to it (as it stands...) due to them serving Heuston. If yiou're going to reroute them to Docklands, they would need to perform a reversing procedure to get there anyway!

    Maynooth trains can serve it if they skip Drumcondra.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Rawr


    Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Irish Rail are so short sighted that they purposely built a station in the docklands that can be accessed by Kildare trains, but not by Maynooth trains, when it would have been just as easy to do both.
    Not advertising no stupider than the standard decisions they make every day and the way they treat their customers.

    That station is served by Clonsilla-terminating trains which themselves may extend to the (hopefully) reopened Navan line. Maynooth trains could terminate here also, quite easily.
    They are a joke beyond a joke. The first meeting of P11 5 years back I made a Powerpoint presentation with the title "IE - ONE OF THE WORST RAIL SERVICE PROVIDERS IN EUROPE? NO, ONE OF THE WORST IN THE WORLD"

    Although I would agree that IE have a lot of issues that they need to sort out, and that you may have valid argument on how bad they are, I cannot agree with you on what you are saying in your post.

    It appears that you are suggesting that IE are a terrible rail company due to transport issues with the O2Arena. You mention an unfinished Luas line which is the responsibility of RPA and poor parking which is likely the responsibility of many others (Dublin City and/or O2Arena?). Of which, neither have anything to do with IE.

    As you have said, there is a Docklands Station, which I'm not a fan of I have to say. It is supposed to be temporary until a Spencer Dock station is built, but i do fear that it may become permanent. That said, the current station is not all that far away from the O2. Connolly St. is not that far away either.

    I agree that IE can be pretty bad, but what I'm saying is that you can't use the O2Arena as proof of that. Your grievances on O2 have more to do with poor planning, an inept City Council and a Government who simply can't join the dots.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation


    i sort of miss your point among that rant.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic


    Nostradamus - It's called The O2, there is no 'Arena' attached to the name.

    It just goes to show all the marketing in the world won't stop people believing something different. :rolleyes:


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 covert


    OP shows the joys of boards - never mind the facts, just mouth off with your assumptions and prejudices.

    Is the OP aware that IE have met with O2 management, to ensure that O2 can advise IE of numbers expected per gig, geographic spread of ticket purchases, so that IE can plan extra services if and when required?

    Or is he just happy to namecall?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj


    IE did originally say that Kildare services would call at Docklands in fact the staff on the ground are still convinced they will after the 4-tracking project and extra resources! It doesn't take much a few twitches here and there!

    I know of someone who had to went to a concert in the RDS and didn't see the whole gig just to get back to town and over to catch the last kildare train from Heuston. On that night the trains out of connolly were held in line with the concert finishing late! didn't help her though!

    The simple fact is if they had put the effort into it Docklands could be another Drumcondra for them, if its that close more Kildare passengers will use it you have to meet them half way as well.

    The walk from Docklands to the point is not that long only around the corner but connolly is a bit longer the sheer fact that the O2 are telling people to get the 151 bus on the quays does that not say something?

    Sure pace trains will be in place going to from docklands so it will be very handy for Maynooth line passengers.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus


    Bluetonic wrote: »
    Nostradamus - It's called The O2, there is no 'Arena' attached to the name.

    It just goes to show all the marketing in the world won't stop people believing something different. :rolleyes:

    Or maybe that some of us are not tottally prone to being controlled by marketing. You see not all of us are addicted to hype.

    But thanks for setting me straight. Getting the corporate name of the location is far more important than actually serving it with decent transport. I see how wrong I have been thinking this.

    Tell you what. Let's forget about utilising rail locations near potential massive customer bases from now on. Especially if someone get's the name of the place wrong. The future of Irish Rail transport is in the Woodlawns and the Cloughjordans. Forget doing anything which might attact passenger numbers.

    Just keep the network open for a few RPSI steam engine specials and the odd 44,000+ photos of the weed spraying train at Wellington Bridge. Yeah, that's what Irish Rail are for. Perhaps the odd deluded fantasy of freight trains running between Tuam and Foxford. Dreaming the dream is always more viable than actually doing something.

    There ya go.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb


    covert wrote: »
    Is the OP aware that IE have met with O2 management, to ensure that O2 can advise IE of numbers expected per gig, geographic spread of ticket purchases, so that IE can plan extra services if and when required?

    I was at a show in the West end in London last night. When I left, I got the Tube back to my hotel. I'm fairly sure the NTC and TfL didn't have a chat about projected geographic ticket sales - trains were provided because a large number of people in a small area needed public transport.

    Concerts could be a huge cash cow for Irish Rail because the majority of people will pay the maximum cash fare, instead of using monthly or annual tickets which have an almost-zero revenue.
    covert wrote: »
    OP shows the joys of boards - never mind the facts, just mouth off with your assumptions and prejudices.

    I can't understand posts like this. I'm not sure if you're an Irish Rail defender or you just hate ranty posts on the internet. Assuming you're the later, I think we can all agree that we've had decades of crap public transport and that Irish Rail are a god-awful train operating company (that can't blame all their woes on lack of investment). Given that, what makes you think things are happening in the background to improve matters? Is there any sign at all (other than the hot air that comes from politicians), that there will be any improvement in the next decade?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic


    Did you make any submission to the planning authority at the time with regards to transport?


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious


    I think actually if we were still in the 19th century, there would be a rail link there.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969


    rant, rant, rant.
    facts - the docklands luas extension will be completed by the end of 2009. this will link the o2 to connolly station and close enough to the
    the docklands rail station that currently accommodates trains from clonsilla and will be the destination for most trains from pace (it's only a 7 minute walk from the o2 to there anyway).
    the docklands interconnector/dart underground station will be close enough to the o2 and beside the overground rail station and the luas stop and will provide links to the 'kildare' line and the northern line and through the luas link to connolly will provide links to the west.
    are you honestly suggesting that a heavy rail line should have been extended to the doors of the o2 by irish rail? because that doesn't make any sense but why let that get in the way of a rant.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb


    Bluetonic wrote: »
    Did you make any submission to the planning authority at the time with regards to transport?

    Are you serious or trolling?

    Do you think residents of London, New York, Tokyo or any other capital city have to make submissions to remind their local or central government to take public transport into account? How would that go exactly... "I petition that you do your bloody job instead of counting the tax that comes from car and petrol sales?"


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969


    markpb wrote: »
    I was at a show in the West end in London last night. When I left, I got the Tube back to my hotel. I'm fairly sure the NTC and TfL didn't have a chat about projected geographic ticket sales - trains were provided because a large number of people in a small area needed public transport.

    but why is the OP insisting on an IE extension of heavy rail to the o2? you're not querying why Tube and not Heavy Rail. The Luas extension will link to heavy rail at Connolly, the Docklands is near enough. Surely we shouldn't be doubling up on expenditure just so that people don't have to move from one type of public transport to another, it would be overkill.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 covert


    markpb wrote: »
    I was at a show in the West end in London last night. When I left, I got the Tube back to my hotel. I'm fairly sure the NTC and TfL didn't have a chat about projected geographic ticket sales - trains were provided because a large number of people in a small area needed public transport.

    Concerts could be a huge cash cow for Irish Rail because the majority of people will pay the maximum cash fare, instead of using monthly or annual tickets which have an almost-zero revenue.



    I can't understand posts like this. I'm not sure if you're an Irish Rail defender or you just hate ranty posts on the internet. Assuming you're the later, I think we can all agree that we've had decades of crap public transport and that Irish Rail are a god-awful train operating company (that can't blame all their woes on lack of investment). Given that, what makes you think things are happening in the background to improve matters? Is there any sign at all (other than the hot air that comes from politicians), that there will be any improvement in the next decade?


    I hate ranty posts that are clearly based on the poster's own flawed assumptions. I phoned up IE (it amazes me how few people do this when they are unsure of the facts - but then again, most people on boards of this nature are so certain of their own position it's not required :rolleyes: ), and I was told that O2 were very open to working with IE and that specials post-concerts - if the events are over too late for the normal schedule - were going to be an absolute norm of the services for the O2.

    Now, as I'm not going, I didn't think to ask why there's none advertised for the <snip> concert, and maybe that's what sent the OP off on one, but rather than find out, he rolled up his prejudices and assumptions and went off on one.


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg


    Rawr wrote: »

    As you have said, there is a Docklands Station, which I'm not a fan of I have to say. It is supposed to be temporary until a Spencer Dock station is built, but i do fear that it may become permanent. That said, the current station is not all that far away from the O2. Connolly St. is not that far away either.

    Anyone planning on using Docklands Station to get to/from The O2 (can't we just call it the Point Depot?) might need to bear the following in mind:

    * The last inbound train serving Docklands departs Clonsilla at 18:46.
    * The last outbound training leaving Docklands departs at 19:20.

    Might be useful for getting there (if concert starts 20:00), but forget about returning. Then again Docklands stations' passenger numbers are apparently rather low (though perhaps not as low as the nearly zero numbers using Phoenix Park) and services have been slashed in the new timetable (approx 9 trains in each direction a day)

    (Off topic: are any other Maynooth line customers freaked out by the fact that the cover of Irish Rail's new timetable for the line appears to show a train being blown over by water??? - See http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2009/Dublin%20Maynooth%2009.pdf )


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf


    icdg wrote: »
    (Off topic: are any other Maynooth line customers freaked out by the fact that the cover of Irish Rail's new timetable for the line appears to show a train being blown over by water??? - See http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2009/Dublin%20Maynooth%2009.pdf )

    (Also off topic: No, on the contrary, that seems to be in line with the company's current picture policy: To pick pictures which will get people thinking outside the box, etc., etc., etc., etc.

    As far as I am aware, They seem to have started this with their selection of a picture of Trudering underground station in Munich as an illustration of how the underground DART would work.

    A curved platform, for a start, which would nowadays be considered "unusual" for a newly built underground line.

    And the fact that the construction of the station involved probably the biggest disaster in the development of Munich's underground system, with serious loss of life.

    Of all the stations which might have been picked from around the world, This was the station chosen as Irish Rail's example of how life would be with an underground system, and during its costruction.)

    Tsk, Tsk, icdg, you need to start thinking outside the envelope.:rolleyes::P


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter


    covert wrote: »
    I hate ranty posts that are clearly based on the poster's own flawed assumptions. I phoned up IE (it amazes me how few people do this when they are unsure of the facts - but then again, most people on boards of this nature are so certain of their own position it's not required :rolleyes: ), and I was told that O2 were very open to working with IE and that specials post-concerts - if the events are over too late for the normal schedule - were going to be an absolute norm of the services for the O2.

    Now, as I'm not going, I didn't think to ask why there's none advertised for the Coldplay concert, and maybe that's what sent the OP off on one, but rather than find out, he rolled up his prejudices and assumptions and went off on one.

    The OPs assumptions aren't flawed and your phonecall to IE isn't necessarily worth jack as evidence of anything positive. I could spend all night citing things IE have said in ,public, private and to Dail Committies and then not followed up on. Like me, the OP has an long history of dealing with IE. Some of us are quite simply justified to make a criticism, just as you can believe what they tell you.

    As for all the discussion over the railway and the O2, well it boils down to one thing - public transport and particularly the railway should run much later than it does.


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor


    A thread on this was previously closed. I'm closing this thread for the moment until it can be reviewed.

    Nostradamus banned for being high maintenance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor


    Thread re-opened.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781


    DWCommuter wrote: »
    The OPs assumptions aren't flawed and your phonecall to IE isn't necessarily worth jack as evidence of anything positive. I could spend all night citing things IE have said in ,public, private and to Dail Committies and then not followed up on. Like me, the OP has an long history of dealing with IE. Some of us are quite simply justified to make a criticism, just as you can believe what they tell you.

    When in your experience have IE ever said one thing and done another? I remember IE telling you in 2003 (I think) that they'd run rail services through the PPT as "there is demand for that" and these days commuters are all being delivered from Kildare to Pearse st. on a regular basis, just like they promised... ;)


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Rawr wrote: »
    As you have said, there is a Docklands Station, which I'm not a fan of I have to say. It is supposed to be temporary until a Spencer Dock station is built, but i do fear that it may become permanent. That said, the current station is not all that far away from the O2. Connolly St. is not that far away either.

    IÉ wanted to reopen Broadstone for Pace/Navan services but it seems the RPA will get their mits on it, as a result the current Docklands station will be retained. At least that's what I was told back in March but that was before the economy really fell to bits so who knows now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic


    markpb wrote: »
    petition that you do your bloody job instead of counting the tax that comes from car and petrol sales?

    :rolleyes:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781


    Karsini wrote: »
    IÉ wanted to reopen Broadstone for Pace/Navan services but it seems the RPA will get their mits on it, as a result the current Docklands station will be retained. At least that's what I was told back in March but that was before the economy really fell to bits so who knows now.

    That was more trying to flex muscle than anything. If the Interconnector was built, there'd be plenty of capacity for Navan trains without the need for Spencer mock or Broadstone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim


    1. You used to be able to get a passenger train from North Wall [ many many many years ago ]

    are you honestly suggesting that a heavy rail line should have been extended to the doors of the o2 by irish rail?

    IIRC there was one in any event , ran about 3 metres outside the front door; Harry C bought the right-of-way off CIE to rebuild the O2


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger


    trellheim wrote: »
    1. You used to be able to get a passenger train from North Wall [ many many many years ago ]

    IIRC there was one in any event , ran about 3 metres outside the front door; Harry C bought the right-of-way off CIE to rebuild the O2

    North Wall station was opened by the London and North Western Railway to link to their cross channel steamboats in the 1880's. It closed in the 1920's; that's a long long time ago! It was behind the red building beside Price Waterhouse Cooper's new offices on the Quays.

    The line through the Point Yard was only kept open when the site was sold to Harry Crosbie for unloading deliveries of trains and rolling stock. The old berth is rather busy and in any case it isn't the deepest so it's limited in what boats it can receive. Consignments come through Belview Port or the deep water end of Dublin Port these days.


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor


    Half page ad in today's Metro. I'm going to take a look at the planning application - it seems it has a mobility plan. The application was to the Dublin Docklands Development Authority, not the city council.

    http://www.theo2.ie/getting-here/
    Getting Here

    Travelling to The O2 couldn’t be easier, situated in the heart of Dublin's docklands, The O2 is well served by public transport, with Bus, Rail, DART and LUAS all leaving you within a 20 minute walk from the venue.

    There are no parking facilities at the Venue itself at this time, so it makes sense to make your journey by public transport, ensuring you arrive on time and leaving you nothing else to do but enjoy your visit.

    The 02 Transport Guide


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD


    Victor wrote: »
    Half page ad in today's Metro. I'm going to take a look at the planning application - it seems it has a mobility plan. The application was to the Dublin Docklands Development Authority, not the city council.

    Down this neck of teh woods you can make the application to either authority apparently.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic


    BrianD wrote: »
    Down this neck of teh woods you can make the application to either authority apparently.
    The difference being that the DDDA can grant permission under Section 25 making the whole planning process much faster, for good and for bad.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick


    the fact anyone can claim a place served by a 20 min walk from any public transport is "well served" shows it to be a sham.
    Considering it would take much less time to walk from Ringsend across the drawbridge from a number 3 bus....


Advertisement