Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Can't Other Nationalities Understand the Irish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

pyure wrote: »
    Today at around 2pm on rte1 radio was a story about ballymun, featuring an interview with a local resident - listened for a couple of minutes and couldn't understand a single word he was saying, might as well have been a foreign language.

Being from Ballymun, I find it hard to understand people sometimes who are very well spoken. It's when they speak fast, some of the words just slip me by and I can't understand what they're saying.

Ireland is the only place in the world where there are so many accents, even in Dublin alone there must be 4 or 5 different accents and every county in Ireland seems to have at least a single particular accent belonging to that county alone.

The UK I suppose would be a close second to Ireland but it just seem really bad here. I blame the GAA.

Only accent I don't like is the one used by the newsreaders on RTE, fcking hate it I do. "Welcome to the Are Tee Eee news. Today in Dublin, the Gordee did something bloh bloh". Fck off and pronouce your r's and a's correctly ffs :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The only Irish one that used to get me at first was some (quickly-spoken) Belfast accents. The Ail Knahk Yer Fuhkin Bate In type ones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I was born here, and sometimes I can't understand people if they have a thick inner city/country accent. Main problem is not pronouncing consonants properly, running them into the vowels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Wasn't there a program on Channel Four a few years ago about the kids with horses in Dublin? They actually had subtitles so people could understand what they were saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bmurphy4ireland

i have a normal un-scobe accent but still in usa people cudnt understand me. lmao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

cos we're always drunk?...cos we're Racist?...cos they're racist?... cos they don't speak english? who knows...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement