Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrying weapons

• 11-12-2008 2:01pm

In relation to the Aidan O Kane story.
    Do you know any people your age who carry around weapons(such as knives,guns,Knuckeldusters etc?
    And if they do, is it for show or actually becuase they are actually trying to
    cause harm to somebody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

If you're capable of defending yourself, you shouldn't need it unless you wanna cause GBH.

And if you can't defend yourself you'll only get yourself smashes up or stabbed with your weapon.

Learn to fight normally or continually run away are your only real options.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In relation to the Aidan O Kane story.
    Do you know any people your age who carry around weapons(such as knives,guns,Knuckeldusters etc?
    And if they do, is it for show or actually becuase they are actually trying to
    cause harm to somebody?

There was a point, about four or five years ago, when a lot of my friends seriously considered carrying weapons. One of the lads was nearly killed in an unprovoked attack near his house. Fortunately he made a full recovery, but at the time it really shocked us. I don't think any of us actually did start carrying anything, but the idea was certainly suggested at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Dear god no. I'm so clumsy I'd probably fall over and stab myself with a knife in my pocket or something. Also there's such a high chance of a weapon being used agains you that it's just not worth it.

If you want to stay out of danger learn to run fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The scumbags our age probably do..but, well..they're scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Scumbags of any age do it really.

• Advertisement

Its something like you are 4 more times likely to get stabbed if you carry a knife on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I won't even carry a knife across a room! I trip over too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

My idea is,if they come at you with a knife,defend yourself as best as you can and if you get your hands on it show them how to use it :)..
    I have penknifes and stuff but i'd never carry them with me,I always think
    A)I'v never pi$$ed off someone enough for them to resort to that
    or
    B)I'd put up a good enough fight using my fists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Right, a knife is a useful too, esp a swiss army pocket knife.
    My son is 10 when he turns 12/13 I will be considering getting in his first swiss army pocket knife, that is a useful tool and it never to be used as a weapon.

Tards carry knifes as weapons, they can do a lot of damange and can be easily taken
    off them and used against them or they can get caugth with them and charged and get
    a criminal weapon.

Even a pocket knife can ( if the garda has mind to ) get you done for carrying a consealed weapon.

Be smart, if you do have a pocket knife stick in in you bag bottom of it where it's hard to get at and not on your person.

NEVER pull a knife on someone unless you have done knife fighting classes.

A young man lost his life and bleed to death not 50 ft from my house hollo'ween night
    cos he had a row with his mate who had a knife and they were both drunk.

If you are concerned about your safety take up a martial art or do street fighting,
    do not be STUPID enough to carry a knife as a weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

none of my friends carry knives or whatever and neither do i.
    i dont fight but if i ever had to get into one id never knife someone.
    aswell i think if youve taken the effort of carrying it on you then youll use it...can stab someone without a knife like

though that being said i do have a few aquantinces(people i only say hello to) who i have seen with sawn off shotguns and hand guns.safe to say not my sort of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

have to say, i did carry one around with me for a period, out of concern for my safety, and no, ive never done any classes etc (though have a number of years of martial arts under my belt), but fortunately never used it/felt i had to.

two close friends of mine, back when they were my age, did carry weapons... the reasons being that they were living pretty rough lives, and were involved with pretty dodge people. i know one of them did have cause to use a weapon as self defence (before running), and has been in zillions of scraps in his time, the other... i know enough to have never asked or want to know how/when/why he's used any of his weapons.

should point out that both of these were quite a number of years ago, and they wouldnt recommend their way of life for anyone.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i carry a spoon, scares everyone away...

knifey-spoony-6582.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It's funny, people have different attitudes to all of this.

Years ago, I knew a lad whose best mate was a total hardcore rocker, long hair, long leather coats, etc. He was also a drug dealer (petty stuff) and from a very rough area. So he carried a knife or even a sword, and used to scare the living Christ out of the local knacks who would have kicked the shít out of him otherwise for being different.

Then again, a lad I knew (absolute tool) is currently in prison because he got in a fight with his best mate, went and got a knife, fought again, best mate got stabbed. Morons the pair of them, and look what happened.

How and where you live your life is important. I'm a big lad, so I'd rarely get any trouble, but some of my friends are not. They might be stronger and better at fighting, but they don;t look it. And it's gotten them into fights before. People like that can get spooked and end up carrying a knife or something. Hell, I'd know the odd person who'd have a gun if they needed it.

Almost everyone I know or have met who would carry a weapon takes drugs regularly, and knows some seriously dodgy people as a side effect of it.

Thaeyd made a point - unless you know what your doing with a weapon, it could put you in more danger than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

An Fhile wrote: »
    it really shocked us.
    I don't see why tbh:

:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I don't see why tbh:

:p

As witty as ever JC, keep up the good work :p

To be serious for a moment, the fact that the guy in question (in post #3) was assaulted with his own hurley was shocking in the extreme.

What almost makes it worse is that his attacker was murdered a year later, in a killing that made national headlines :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't carry weapons around me, just my Captain Falcon fighting techniques.

Of course I assume I have some surprising aptitude with weapons. Because I never say anything, like Gordon Freeman. And if a theoretical physicist like him can take down armies of specially trained commandos and security guards then so can I!

OK, not really.

Anyway I don't think I know anybody who carries a weapon around with them. I wouldn't consider it. Unless I invented some very effective non lethal gadget, that would be great. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Its something like you are 4 more times likely to get stabbed if you carry a knife on you.

Only if you're a retard. The rest of us are OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

Tbh I've never carried nor needed to, its all in the walk and the posture.
    I'm fairly big @6ft with beard and trenchcoat but even without, if you walk like you know exactly where you need to go, keep yerself upright and for the love of god and all that is holy don't have iPod headphones you should be fine. As regards knife fighting or anything else, the law states that if you have a good reason (not protection from scumbags) then you're okay. I know one guy who was stopped by the Guards and they found him with a set of VERY sharp knives in his bag. But he had a chefs uniform there too.

As regards knife fighting or anything else, the law states that if you have a good reason (not protection from scumbags) then you're okay. I know one guy who was stopped by the Guards and they found him with a set of VERY sharp knives in his bag. But he had a chefs uniform there too.

LoL! Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Davidius wrote: »
    I don't carry weapons around me, just my Captain Falcon fighting techniques.

FALCOOOON PUUUUUNCH! > knife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I used to carry a swiss army knife on my keyring. One evening in town (Temple Bar area) myself and a mate were walking to get a bus and out of nowhere a junkie/scumbag tries to grab my mate's phone. My mate pushed him off and told him to eff off. Scumbag smacks him one right on the nose, grabs him in a head lock and starts laying into him. 3/4 seconds later (once the shock had begun to ware off) I reached into my pocket and pulled out the appliance and flicked out the wood-saw. Junkie bolted.

It was the instinctiveness with which I grabbed the knife which has lead me to stop carrying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I make it my interest to carry a small baseball bat around with me,I hide it up my sleeve..........hehe.......:D

Just joking,in all seriousness,if any one carries a knife on them,there's clearly something wrong with them i.e completely paranoid,or just a punk...that cant defend them self.

The best weapon that a lad could have is not his hands,its his legs! Danger=get running.Simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

obl wrote: »
    I used to carry a swiss army knife on my keyring. One evening in town (Temple Bar area) myself and a mate were walking to get a bus and out of nowhere a junkie/scumbag tries to grab my mate's phone. My mate pushed him off and told him to eff off. Scumbag smacks him one right on the nose, grabs him in a head lock and starts laying into him. 3/4 seconds later (once the shock had begun to ware off) I reached into my pocket and pulled out the appliance and flicked out the wood-saw. Junkie bolted.

It was the instinctiveness with which I grabbed the knife which has lead me to stop carrying it.

AWWWWWWW FÚCK HE'S GONNA SAAAAAAAAW ME TE BITS

Wood saw? Seriously :P

Fair play to you for noticing the problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Mate of mine used to carry a knife when we were teenagers. I told him he was a spa. He got in a fight with another friend of ours and killed him. Three and a half years in prison and he has to live with it for the rest of his life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 murraydave

couple of years ago wen i was bout 15 new this guy who was goin round threathinin ppl wit wat everyone thought was a pellet gun..he was goin round pointin it at ppls faces and laughin...thruth finally emerged dat it was his fathers illegal handgun...and it was loaded the hole time....scary lookin back at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Fad wrote: »
    AWWWWWWW FÚCK HE'S GONNA SAAAAAAAAW ME TE BITS

Wood saw? Seriously :P

It goes 2.5" blade, Wood Saw, Fish Scaler. If I'd have gone for the saw in the first place, that would have been hilarious. "Let him go, or else I'll... descale you... apparently..."
    Fad wrote: »
    Fair play to you for noticing the problem there.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 eire4life

ye keep a swiss army knife on me at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

whoever carries knives etc around with them,
    are scum and got no balls.

use yer fists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

xseanx wrote: »
    whoever carries knives etc around with them,
    are scum and got no balls.

use yer fists.
    Like Captain Falcon?

Are knees an option too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

Davidius wrote: »
    Like Captain Falcon?

Are knees an option too?

ah yeah sure knees are aloud.

but not when there down.
    i have seen people take kicks/knees to the head while down,
    its sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

obl wrote: »
    It goes 2.5" blade, Wood Saw, Fish Scaler. If I'd have gone for the saw in the first place, that would have been hilarious. "Let him go, or else I'll... descale you... apparently..."

I think the threat of being Descaled is pretty frightening :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I carry a wallet full of bribery bills. But the bills are counter-fit so the joke is on whoever gets bribed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

BrightEyes wrote: »
    I carry a wallet full of bribery bills. But the bills are counter-fit so the joke is on whoever gets bribed!

I actually did that over the summer.

Carried a wedge of low value notes. Didn't need 'em though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm fairly big @6ft with beard and trenchcoat
    I have a beard but no trenchcoat so I'm too nervous to go out at night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement