Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hemp Insulation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rosullivan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    IMO the breather membrane should be between the insulation and the stone wall....

have you priced hemp yet?? it tends to be very expensive.
    Personally i would slab internally with a board such as fermacell than gypsum plasterboard... it breathes better and allows moisture diffusion better.... they are structurally stronger for hanging onto

I have priced the hemp mats and they are very, very expensive. But, I don't want to give up on my breathable construction. Do you know of any good alternatives that won't sag over time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 byrneos

rosullivan wrote: »
    I have priced the hemp mats and they are very, very expensive. But, I don't want to give up on my breathable construction. Do you know of any good alternatives that won't sag over time?

what about hemp-lime plastering it instead of drylining?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oldbuilders2

conventional drylining such the phenolic on slab ones, have spaces behind where condensation occurs, condensation occurs because there is a considerable drop in temperature between the warm side and the cold side. This is dampness inside your house, it has not gone anywhere, you have just hidden it behind a slab, result high humidity levels and an uncomfortable smelly house. even breathable forms of drylining such as hemp wool when used in a stud wall, will create a space where condensation occurs. Where condensation occurs, mildews and spoors grow, this is very unhealthy. Hemplime plaster works well and does not leave a gap, there are a number of breathable boards, generically known as silicate boards that are bedded in lime, finished in lime and leave no spaces or gaps. These are all expensive, but better to do nothing than do the wrong thing cause it’s cheaper.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Henry, please don’t grave dig threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement