Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Royle Family Christmas Special

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

First 20 to 30 minutes were good fun but once it got to Daves and Denises it descended into utter farce/stupidity.
    Bathing with the turkey etc.
    I mean we all knew Denises efforts were going to be a disaster but that was just dumb.Its like comparing Bill Hicks to Brendan O'Carroll putting the older episodes against last nights abortion.
    Overall soooooooo disappointed with it.Had to throw on some classic episodes afterwards to remind me of how good it can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Lainey wrote: »
    ye def wasn't up to the usual.. missing nana and her impacted bowel :L:L

Good point, well made lainey!

Ye Daves parents wernt great, the episode was really missing Nana and Anthony...

BTW i know this may sound stupid but is the Nana dead in real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Royle Family threads merged.

Gary - Liz Smith is alive and well....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

It sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Mr E wrote: »
    Royle Family threads merged.

Gary - Liz Smith is alive and well....

And still acting afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Well as a big fan of the show I thought it was hilarious in parts but not in keeping with the humour of the original.

As already mentioned, the whole turkey thing with the bath and the drilling was more like sketch show slapstick comedy then what you'd normally see on the Royle Family. In one way it was off putting but as I'd had plenty of wine by that stage it was still hilarious.:D Plenty of other laugh out loud moments.

A move away from the original series but still the best thing on telly Christmas day. B+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

A move away from the original series but still the best thing on telly Christmas day. B+

Doctor Who Would like a word with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I enjoyed most of it but thought the turkey bits were too stupid by far.

At least it was a major improvement on Killinaskully

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I have to admit to being terribly dissapointed aswell. I don't know if it was because half the cast (nana, antony, next door family) were missing or if it was because it wasn't in the Royle's house but it just wasn't funny.

+1

It was missing something, not very good, some funny lines in it but just not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Disappointing, just a few laughs here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Yea a big diissapointment,for anyone that hadnt seen it b4 they probably thought it was good,but it was far from the usall high expectations of previous stuff.T he whole turkey thing made a farce of it and it will only ever be rememed as a disaster for the long term fans.I think they better quit while ahead now and leave it alone,
    I think if Jim Royal had to watch that on TV,his verdict would be

FUNNY MY ARSE.

R.I.P. NANNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fluoro Addo

Good point well made, Bar-berrrra

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

eth0_ wrote: »
    Did anyone see this tonight?

What a massive disappointment! I didn't find anything funny until the final 15 minutes.

fair point, well made..eth0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ntlbell wrote: »
    fair point, well made..eth0

lol

I really don't understand what went wrong...the last Christmas special was fantastic, hilarious and also really sad when Nana died.

The only character who made me laugh last night was Jim, but you can always count on Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

lol

I really don't understand what went wrong...

Personally I think it was because they left the house! Seriously that must be like the first time ever!? the cuppa soup starter was genius, but the whole frozen turkey got a bit silly. A bit dissapointing. The christmas special were denise has the baby was on tonight, brilliant episode really highlighted the flaws in last nights episode

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I liked it but missed Anthony, Cheryl and Mary and of course Nana with her glass of sherry.
    I thought that there were some good lines in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

descry wrote: »
    Personally I think it was because they left the house! Seriously that must be like the first time ever!?

+1

Also, it was missing that love/hate chemistry that was there between Jim and Nana.

What was the point of having Twiggy in it? He added nothing to storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Does anyone know where I can see this - is it beeing repeated or can it vbe viewed online anywhere (BBC online is not available outside the UK).

This was the ONLY program my other-half wanted me to record & I botched up the recording

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Its only being repeated on BBC HD from what I can see.

28/12/08 at 23.10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mbfy/upcoming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The only character who made me laugh last night was Jim, but you can always count on Jim.

Aye, the part where he is necking the bowl of vodka cocktail mix to escape the nonsense surrounding him was classic :pac:

I suppose on reflection the turkey bit was more sit-comish, not really what you would expect from the Royles. And the whole attempt at the posh dinner party was awfully like the plot of an episode of Men Behaving Badly that was on the previous night. One or two parts seemed to be recycled jokes from old Royles and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think its had its day.
    I was really looking forward to it, but there were only a few laughs in it.
    Nana is really missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

It was alright. Wasn't up there with the best episodes ever, but there were some good moments. The last special two years ago was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I quite enjoyed the special, especially the incidents with the turkey. I felt though that the writers played up the stupidity of the two characters hosting the dinner party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I caught from where they are havin the tropical punch stuff onwards did i miss much? I thought it was very poor, a few laughable moments but i wonder if that was because i wanted to laugh so much. Nana not bein there was a palpable difference as her and jim bounced off each other in a way no other members did

And that bloody dave sr dude was gettin right on my last nerve :mad: (i realise that might have been the point but there is an annoying character and an ANNOYING character

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

@ing' twice a minute after the watershed in a homegrown production. It can be done if you really, really, really try. Just need the writers. Or the editors.

Advertisement