Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundtrack To Your Angst

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Greatest Hits / Best ofs are ****e alright. They stopped me from fully appreciating several Frank Zappa, Frank Black, David Bowie, Violent Femmes, and Iggy Pop albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I take it you've heard their first album then, Phlegms? Barely a non-amazing track on it. You gotta add it up!

Unfortunately I couldn't find the official video of American Music :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

And now for something completely different.....
    I've always wanted to get more into jazz/blues music, especially older stuff, and so started listening to a few Billie Holiday tracks. Love all these songs, but "Strange Fruit" is particularly haunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I don't know whether to laugh or sing along, it's actually better than the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

By far my favourite song from the Violent Femmes, lovin the bassline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Great song when someone you miss is away.

And now to go off that tangent...

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I don't know whether to laugh or sing along, it's actually better than the original.
    A friendshowed that to me a few months ago, I was in stitches.
    For ultimate weird covers,you should listen to Babes in Toyland absolutely massacring All By Myself. It's so brutal it's brilliant. Unfortunately, I can't find it on Youtube.
    But here's 30 seconds of it: http://www.last.fm/music/Babes+in+Toyland/_/All+by+Myself
    jumpguy wrote: »

Great song when someone you miss is away.

I'm not a big fan of Snow Patrol, but I really love that song. They did it recently with Cheryl Cole, and while she's no Martha Wainwright she did an excellent job and proved that she actually can sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm not a big fan of Snow Patrol, but I really love that song. They did it recently with Cheryl Cole, and while she's no Martha Wainwright she did an excellent job and proved that she actually can sing.

Don't like Snow Patrol either. Martha Wainwright just makes the song tbh.

Cheryl Cole is actually impressive there. :eek: She should try making albums without synthesisers, she could do savage. She's better than the male singer in Snow Patrol there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Just while we're on the topic of hilarious covers:

• Advertisement

Oh Radiohead, the things you do to me.. *swoon*

Continuing the weird covers trend,
    Sonic Youth + Madonna = WIN

jumpguy wrote: »
    Don't like Snow Patrol either. Martha Wainwright just makes the song tbh.

Cheryl Cole is actually impressive there. :eek: She should try making albums without synthesisers, she could do savage. She's better than the male singer in Snow Patrol there.

Yeah, Martha Wainwright is really good. Anyone who releases a song called "Bloody Motherfucking Asshole" is alright with me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Monzo wrote: »
    Greatest Hits / Best ofs are ****e alright. They stopped me from fully appreciating several Frank Zappa, Frank Black, David Bowie, Violent Femmes, and Iggy Pop albums.

Ah I disagree, you get to hear a bands songs from throughout their career rather than just one period. They've helped me get into a lot of bands anyway. Though granted its just a money making exercise now, stick on a new song or two and maybe a flashy DVD...Like wtf are Snow Patrol doing selling a Greatest hits?! First of all they're not great and secondly they haven't been together long enough! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Ah I disagree, you get to hear a bands songs from throughout their career rather than just one period. They've helped me get into a lot of bands anyway. Though granted its just a money making exercise now, stick on a new song or two and maybe a flashy DVD...Like wtf are Snow Patrol doing selling a Greatest hits?! First of all they're not great and secondly they haven't been together long enough! :mad:

To be fair to Snow Patrol, they seem to have released that compilation with the intention of letting people know they had 2 albums and an EP released before Final Straw, none of which anyone but proper fans seem to know about.

From wikipedia:
    Their record label was originally going to call the album a Greatest hits, however, the band contested that they hadn't had that many hits. They went on to suggest a Best of, before realizing it was along the same lines.[8] Lightbody has made it clear that the album isn't a greatest hits record, and has expressed his dislike for such. According to him, the compilation is a way to leave the last 15 years behind, and looking forward to 15 years in the future. The album's title, Up to Now was specifically chosen to indicate the band has more to offer in the future, and that it wasn't a way of saying goodbye.[9] The band believes that the album signifies a portrait of the band, who they are, "warts and all".[10] Lightbody said it represents the band making a statement, explaining: "We've climbed a hill and now we're looking back and taking in the view for a bit. It's nice to show people that we didn't just arrive overnight".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

phlegms wrote: »
    Oh Radiohead, the things you do to me.. *swoon*

I did not know you liked Radiohead, much approval. I love that song. Actually, I don't know if you like the Smiths, but if you do, Radiohead's cover of The Headmaster Ritual is also fairly awesome. Here it is in case you haven't heard it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

*Continues newly established radiohead appreciation*
    Someone gave me a copy of In Rainbow's awhile back, really liked this song in particular off it.

Craguls wrote: »
    *Continues newly established radiohead appreciation*
    Someone gave me a copy of In Rainbow's awhile back, really liked this song in particular off it.

See?! My obsession isn't unfounded. Hah! You will succumb to the awesomeness.. That's one of my favourite songs from the album, but then again I like pretty much all of them.

Yet another Radiohead one, but I just listened to this song again the other day, I'd forgotten how much I love it:

I absolutely LOVE this song:

And I do quite love Regina Spektor, this song is amazing:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I saw Radiohead live :cool:

That was one of the greatest days of my life. I was getting the DART out to Malahide and I met these guys from the North. One of them was looking for a ticket and my friend was selling one, so they told me to hang around with them til my friend came out. Hanging with them for the day involved them giving me free drink and some other things, so I ended up stoned and blocked for free! :eek:
    A year and a half on I can still remember the show. Such a brilliant live act.

I only got Pablo Honey a week ago, and I honestly think it's highly underrated:

Also, Thom Yorke's solo album is stunning:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

Aoibheann wrote: »

i quite love Regina Spektor aswell!
    this is one of my favourite songs

and i know this song isn't angsty at all but i found it on ipod just there and i remembered how much i liked it
    man, i love scrubs:o

Jay P wrote: »
    I saw Radiohead live :cool:

Firstly, you are my new favourite person. :P They are seriously amazing live, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a gig more.
    I only got Pablo Honey a week ago, and I honestly think it's highly underrated

Thank you! I've always loved it and nobody else ever seems to enjoy it as much.. :( There's some seriously good songs there.

Also, Thom Yorke's solo album is stunning:

And also this. I can't pick a favourite song from it, but I've listened to Harrowdown Hill so many times, when you think about it and the story inspiring it..

• Advertisement

Hmmm, before playing Hail To The Thief last month I had barely played any Radiohead since their Malahide concert in 2008. Kinda odd considering they're something my fifth most played artist on lastfm.

Anyway, I caught a few users in the 'classic rock' (AH) forum whinging that today's rock is nonexistant. Obviously they haven't been listening to Dinosaur Jr. Don't let the length of the song below deter you from pressing play; there's a brainmelting life-affirming solo to be enjoyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

See?! My obsession isn't unfounded. Hah! You will succumb to the awesomeness.. That's one of my favourite songs from the album, but then again I like pretty much all of them.

Yet another Radiohead one, but I just listened to this song again the other day, I'd forgotten how much I love it:

I absolutely LOVE this song:

If I could thank that post more then once I would! I love those songs aswell!

Continuing the love fest...I came down a mountain on the top of a car to this song:D

someone posted pink floyd back a page I think...I was slightly obsessed the summer of fourth year

I did not know you liked Radiohead, much approval. I love that song. Actually, I don't know if you like the Smiths, but if you do, Radiohead's cover of The Headmaster Ritual is also fairly awesome. Here it is in case you haven't heard it! :)

Omg Aoibheann. We had a conversation about this in the trinity forum a while ago. I was the one who posted that cover! You stole it. From me!

Omg Aoibheann. We had a conversation about this in the trinity forum a while ago. I was the one who posted that cover! You stole it. From me!

We did? o_O Imagine me not remembering that.. and I couldn't have stolen it from you, I have it ever since the webcast.. *smug* <3 Thumbs Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I heart all the Radiohead loveage! So jealous that some of you got to see them live. I live in wait :D

One of my favourite songs by my favourite band. Although pretty much everything by The Smiths are brilliant.

And also, I think quite possibly my favourite song ever.

What I am currently obssesed with <3

We did? o_O Imagine me not remembering that.. and I couldn't have stolen it from you, I have it ever since the webcast.. *smug* <3 Thumbs Down.

You can check the thread if you want. Don't test my savant-like memory for trivial details. You will come out the other side looking slightly silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

someone posted pink floyd back a page I think...I was slightly obsessed the summer of fourth year

I was obsessed with that song last summer. It's so dreamy...

You can check the thread if you want. Don't test my savant-like memory for trivial details. You will come out the other side looking slightly silly!

Oh, I believe you! It's just that I usually remember these things, especially involving music I love. *shrug* I think we can both agree it's an awesome song anyway. \o/

Oh, I believe you! It's just that I usually remember these things, especially involving music I love. *shrug* I think we can both agree it's an awesome song anyway. \o/

I think we can both agree that I am infallible. :pac:

• Advertisement

I think we can both agree that I am infallible. :pac:

.. I refuse point-blank to agree to that. :p

Advertisement