Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannibalism

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Those organs and blood could go on to help more humans live longer
    More seriously, the UK government looked at, but decided to reject "presumed consent", despite the BMA calling for it and apparently over 90% of the population supporting the idea:

http://www.mddus.com/mddus/news-and-events/news/november-08/bma-holds-firm-on-presumed-consent.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

What about human leather? Would you wear human leather? Do you wear Cow leather in your shoes or clothes?

imo, it's a waste of a good source of food, organs, blood and supplies to just bury or burn humans. Those organs and blood could go on to help more humans live longer, your skin could be made into leather so your family and friends could have parts of you to use as bookmarks :D

For all the ways that we use animals we could do likewise with humans after they have lost their life.

Also, is it not odd that people have no aversion to having foreign human blood and organs put into their bodies but then they are repulsed with the thought of consuming these.

No I don't wear leather at all, if eating meat turns my stomach, wearing a skin is going to do the same thing. I know three vegetarians, two would be like me and don't like the taste/feel it is too similiar to ourselves, while one is ethically opposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

No I don't wear leather at all, if eating meat turns my stomach, wearing a skin is going to do the same thing. I know three vegetarians, two would be like me and don't like the taste/feel it is too similiar to ourselves, while one is ethically opposed.

Better to stick to PVC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Better to stick to PVC.

whatever you're into chocolatesauce!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

A lot of people on here saying it'd be ok if the party-to-be-eaten consented...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Don't Catholics believe that communion turns to christs body in their mouth? And isn't god/jesus always compared to a shepherd, who's job it is to keep sheep safe in order to fatten them up and eat them? I think the cannibalism thread belongs in the Catholic board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Legitimate point really... They DO believe that they are eating flesh (well, most probably don't, but yknow how it is :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Anybody here free range?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was allowed roam in the country and taken in at night.

What they feed you on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I don't see any ethical objection to cannibalism - after all, we are made of meat.

I can see that it might not be healthy to eat people that have died of disease, and those who die of old age would probably be too tough to eat.

However, eating executed prisoners shouldn't pose any health risk - although it might be a bit overcooked if you've used the electric chair.

OK, what about human made products?

Would anybody use a human leather wallet? Boots?:pac:

"These boots are made for walking,
    And that's just what they'll do,
    One of these days,
    these boots are gonna be reheeled all over with you"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

If it was for self preservation (i.e. starving to death), then I would eat another (deceased) human. I would not kill someone to eat them though. Also, I couldnt eat someone I knew. I would prefer to die of hunger. That includes my two dogs. Funnily enough, I dont think they would feel the same way about me if they were starving to death.

Oh yeah:
    Two canibals sitting down eating a clown from Fossetts circus...

"Does this taste funny to you..."

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Muppet Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Muppet Man wrote: »
    If it was for self preservation (i.e. starving to death), then I would eat another (deceased) human. I would not kill someone to eat them though. Also, I couldnt eat someone I knew. I would prefer to die of hunger. That includes my two dogs. Funnily enough, I dont think they would feel the same way about me if they were starving to death.

Oh yeah:
    Two canibals sitting down eating a clown from Fossetts circus...

"Does this taste funny to you..."

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Muppet Man.

Cannibal A: "That's no way to bring up your son."

Cannibal B: "Sorry, I always get sick after a few pints."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Important news from the "if we can't eat them at least let us burn them as firewood" dept.

Crematorium to help heat homes in Swedish town
    A Swedish crematorium criticised for environmental pollution has come up with a novel way to save energy: it will heat buildings in the surrounding town from the crematorium furnaces.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/3869095/Crematorium-to-help-heat-homes-in-Swedish-town.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd be personally against it. I'm an atheist, but I find the idea of eating a human to be disgusting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why? Just like you wouldn't eat a dog you mean?

Why?

I find it disgusting.
    Just like you wouldn't eat a dog you mean?

No, I wouldn't eat dog.

Cannibalism is not required by anyone. We can get by without eating each other. Let's not be silly.

I find it disgusting.
    Why do you find something disgusting? Because I find it disgusting.
    No, I wouldn't eat dog.
    What's the difference between a dog and a pig or a cow or a sheep or a deer or a fish or etc that you would eat? Why one and not another?
    Cannibalism is not required by anyone. We can get by without eating each other. Let's not be silly.
    We can get by not eating meat. Let's not be silly?

Why do you find something disgusting?

The answer is in the question.
    What's the difference between a dog and a pig or a cow or a sheep or a deer or a fish or etc that you would eat? Why one and not another?

A dog is associated as a pet. Pigs and cows are associated as lifestock. In the same respect, human is associated as a friend/companion/relative.
    We can get by not eating meat. Let's not be silly?

We can. If you want to eat people, go ahead. Personally, I find it disgusting. It's that simple really. I also find the idea of trying to justify eating people silly.

I'll tell you want - Outside the realm of boards.ie - try bring up that conversation with a random person and see if it doesn't take longer than 5 seconds before they laugh in your face and walk off.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    The answer is in the question.
    Have any phobias? Oh I love humans.
    A dog is associated as a pet. Pigs and cows are associated as lifestock. In the same respect, human is associated as a friend/companion/relative.
    And a fish?
    So if something is 'associated' as something that is not a food you will find it disgusting to eat? I'm surprised it has that much sway.

We can. If you want to eat people, go ahead. Personally, I find it disgusting. It's that simple really. I also find the idea of trying to justify eating people silly.

I'll tell you want - Outside the realm of boards.ie - try bring up that conversation with a random person and see if it doesn't take longer than 5 seconds before they laugh in your face and walk off.
    Actually I have conversations about it a few times, and hufu(fake human).

Your instinct to be disgusted by something is of course yours to have, I just find it quite an irrational trait in humans.
    It's like being disgusted by an apple, whilst eating an orange, because people view apples are our friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

We don't generally eat terrestrial carnivores. Why? My guess is long-term evolutionary / cultural conditioning based on factors such as relative scarcity of animals higher up the food chain, domesticability and feed conversion efficiency in farming, disease burden, bioaccumulation of toxins etc.

This doesn't apply to marine food chains, from which we happily consume high level predators, albeit that now we have to be careful of our heavy metal loading when eating swordfish.

And of course, when push has come to historical shove, humans have turned their forks to most things. During the siege of the Paris commune in 1870, starvation forced the people to munch their way through the whole zoo. One of the hautest cuisine joints served a Christmas Day menu featuring delights such as elephant soup, roast camel 'a l'Anglaise', cats with rats, kangaroo stew, terrine of antelope and haunch of wolf. Makes turkey look rather tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Cannibal A: "Your wife makes lovely soup."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

sdep wrote: »
    humans have turned their forks to most things.
    Or spoons in my case -- I had dog soup in North Korea a few years back. Tasted suspiciously like a super-spicy chicken consummé. One of the mexicans on the trip asked why we were making so many dog-jokes(*), when the tourguide had said the soup was made from duck (**)

(*) "What's it like? A bit ruff-ruff!"
    (**) Think about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

And let us not forget perhaps the greatest feat achieved through cynophagy - the reaching of the South Pole. Scott disliked the idea of killing dogs to feed the rest of the pack and his men; Amundsen did not entertain such qualms.
    robindch wrote: »
    Or spoons in my case -- I had dog soup in North Korea a few years back.

If not the exigencies of polar travel, what was your motive? Was it curiosity killed Fido too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

seamus wrote: »
    You would probably be best eating a baby

OMG ATHIESTS EAT ABABES!

dlofnep wrote: »
    What is it about boards that makes us mad enough to bother talking about this? rather than just surfing somewhere else?

robindch wrote: »
    Or spoons in my case -- I had dog soup in North Korea a few years back.

What were you doing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Your instinct to be disgusted by something is of course yours to have, I just find it quite an irrational trait in humans.

It may be irrational at times but afair its an evolutionary trait. A baby/person will not be afraid of or disgusted by something until its parent is scared/disgusted by it. A baby will happily play in feaces or with rats or spiders. They learn their disgust/fear trait when the parents runs over either screaming or saying 'thats disgusting'. Of course this will be influenced by others as well, as well as other factors e.g. wasps sting so we learn ourselves to stay away.

The fear keeps us alive. As can disgust, it helps foster sanitary conditions where possible.

In that light its quite rational that people only want to eat what they traditionally associate with food, even if they know in theory its the same and has nutritious value. Thats why westerners hate eating dogs, cats or insects, while some cultures don't mind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I actually don't eat meat purely for the reason that I find it too similiar to myself,i.e i don't like the blood dripping off raw meat, or the fat, or the flesh. I've never liked meat, never ate it as a child. I think some of us are just born to be herbivores!

I havent eaten meat since I was five for exactly the same reason. I have never heard anyone else give this as there reason for being a veggie.

Weird

Advertisement