Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] Cavan Railway Heritage Society

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Crannog bookshop also has maps. You'll need three OS maps to see the full length of the dismantled railway - the maps are OS Discovery Series No. 34, No. 27 and No. 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lynchiered

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Crannog bookshop also has maps. You'll need three OS maps to see the full length of the dismantled railway - the maps are OS Discovery Series No. 34, No. 27 and No. 41.

Hi Brian,

Have got all three maps and there stuck together and up on the wall, spare bedroom is now the HQ of Operation Inny Junction lol.

Had another look at some maps, this time old OS maps. Think I've clarified the Ballyhaise/B'Bridge situation. The line did run close to Butlersbridge village but there doesn't look to have been a station there. North of Butlersbridge was Ballyhaise Junction Station, it's marked on the old map but not on the modern one. This station is near Cloverhill rather than Ballyhaise village itself, the village is south east of this location.

Did you get any photos over Christmas Brian?

Regards

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Interesting discussion guys. Just regarding Butlersbridge on the line. I had initially thought there was a station there too.
    But when photographing the line in the area I found none, other than a level crossing.

I checked my old OS map and it too didn't mark any station, which I thought was surprising considering it passed close to village, and would have split the Cavan-Ballyhaise section neatly.

In later years there may have been a railcar stopping place or something nearby. If I have time I may upload a few photos of the area, which didn't feature on my eiretrains website!

For anyone who has not seen this website:
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=
    It gives a quite detailed aerial views of the whole of Ireland (except N.I).
    It also has a detailed OS style map overview (the same ones you can buy in shops which I'll no longer do now!). You can easily trace now the Cavan-Kilshandra-Inny line with it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Interesting discussion guys. Just regarding Butlersbridge on the line. I had initially thought there was a station there too.
    But when photographing the line in the area I found none, other than a level crossing.

I checked my old OS map and it too didn't mark any station, which I thought was surprising considering it passed close to village, and would have split the Cavan-Ballyhaise section neatly.

In later years there may have been a railcar stopping place or something nearby. If I have time I may upload a few photos of the area, which didn't feature on my eiretrains website!

There wasn't a station in Butlersbridge as it was close to Ballyhaise and Cavan and it was literally a dot on the road back then, the area being mainly estate and hunting plains. When the line was built by the GNR, Cavan was the terminus and it was something of a mainline so there wasn't a benefit in having any smaller stops to block it up.

• Advertisement

I haven't been in the area since christmas but before the break I was looking at the modern OS maps and some photos. There are several gaps in the dashed line on the map, some gaps are several hundred metres. These gaps seem to correspond to parts of the line where there is little or no trace of a railway ever having been there - no hedgerows and flat fields where the railway would have been etc.

Eiretrains wrote: »

For anyone who has not seen this website:
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=
    It gives a quite detailed aerial views of the whole of Ireland (except N.I).
    It also has a detailed OS style map overview (the same ones you can buy in shops which I'll no longer do now!). You can easily trace now the Cavan-Kilshandra-Inny line with it.:D

hi eiretrains would love to see those photos, cheers
    paul

I haven't been in the area since christmas but before the break I was looking at the modern OS maps and some photos. There are several gaps in the dashed line on the map, some gaps are several hundred metres. These gaps seem to correspond to parts of the line where there is little or no trace of a railway ever having been there - no hedgerows and flat fields where the railway would have been etc.

Brian,

i totally agree there are a few areas along there line that just dont add up, from using os maps and the site eiretrains has posted this is very clear. i think the only way to sort this is walking the track bed station to station and recording everything

regards

paul

I'm nearly sure there is a wagon or two in a field beside the Finea-Castlepollard road. Might be from the Inny railway.

Hey Brian, was men't to put these up last week, loads more on my bebo

I was in Cavan today and spotted another wagon. No pics as didn't have my camera. Easy to find though - it is in the Co. Council yard around 1 mile on the Granard side of Killydoon village on the N55 road.

• Advertisement

I was in Cavan today and spotted another wagon. No pics as didn't have my camera. Easy to find though - it is in the Co. Council yard around 1 mile on the Granard side of Killydoon village on the N55 road.

Thanks brian , just got a look at them this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

whilst not being directly 100% Cavan Railway Heritige, there was "An Industrial Heritage Survey of Railways in Counties Monaghan and Louth" taken in 2007. Of course these are the same railways that ended up serving Cavan so it is of some interest.
    http://www.monaghan.ie/websitev2/download/pdf/heritage/2007/RailwayReportSurveyPart1.pdf

It goes into the history and development, and closure, of the border lines of south Ulster along with a detailed survey of the Architectural Heritige still in existance in the 2 counties.

One of the more interesting chapters of the railway's history is also described in the report
    During World War I, too, the fight for Irish independence had an adverse effect on railway staff and on train services. Railways throughout the country became targets for sabotage. Within the study area, the Dundalk-Enniskillen line and its branches were closed for a while from 2 November 1920 and 12 days later, a train was derailed between Smithborough and Clones.

One of the most serious incidents occurred at Faulkland Crossing, between Glaslough and Monaghan, on 23 April 1921. The 11.30pm Belfast-Cavan mail/goods train was ambushed, looted and then set alight, with the loss of 34 wagons.
    The one thing that this incident shows is just how much trade was done before partition/ independence between South Ulster and Belfast.
    34 goods wagons!

Advertisement