Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow firm and Pork recall?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

On the Six-One news on RTE they showed a camera clip of a carlow firm when talking about the source of the Pork feed contamination anyone know the reason they showed the clip is it the source?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

was wondering that myself, heard Carlow mentioned at the start of the news.. then watched all the news in full but they never seemed to mention it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

News reporting the source was Carlow firm. Great!

RTE: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1207/pork.html

The company address is Bunclody Co. Wexford but RTE say plant is just outside Fenagh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Oh fantastic. Its even on the British news here in Scotland. Poor Carlow. Getting a bad reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Hey,

Was just reading very quickly online about the whole pork crisis thing and seen here that a carlow pig food recycling plant is the root cause for the whole thing. :O

So far there has been massive layoff's in the pig industry in Ireland:
    Rosderra Meats, 850 laid off,
    McCarren Meats, Cavan, 140 laid off,
    Feldhues Ltd, Clones, Co Monaghan, 50 laid off,
    Callan Bacon, Co Kilkenny, 79 laid off,
    Queally Pigs, Waterford, 30 workers given holiday today with no return date.

According to SIPTU, there is 6000 jobs at risk. My god talk about a knock on affect.

The company at the centre of the pigfeed contamination, Millstream Power Recycling Limited which is located just outside Fenagh, Co Carlow, has denied that an industrial oil had been used in the animal feed.Apparently this oil used to heat the pig feed produces toxins which, if we are exposed to at very high levels can become cancer causing agent.

The European Commission said today that 12 EU countries and 9 non-EU countries have been affected by the contamination scare.EU countries affected are Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Estonia, the UK, France, Portugal and Cyprus.The other countries that have been impacted are Japan, Russian, Singapore, the US, Canada, Switzerland, China, Hong Kong and Korea.

Now i'm just paraphrasing the report on the rte website but my god, we sure know how to make a global impact in carlow don't we. Wouldn't be our first involvement in global epidemic problems, we only have to cast our minds back a few years to the foot and mouth crisis. My god, i don't know is carlow just jinxed.

Anyone locally affected by this?Such a distrous turn of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Villain wrote: »
    The company address is Bunclody Co. Wexford but RTE say plant is just outside Fenagh?

yeah the main office is just past the meat factory at Clahamon on the Wexford side of Bunclody, but the particular plant in question is on the small road between Fenagh and the 'Fighting Cocks' on the main Carlow-Wexford road. I've drove past the place a hundred times before but never took any notice of the place until this evening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Posting on topic this time.. Slightly stunned as to the domino affect this has caused. One firm is pretty much, it seems, responsible for the damage it has caused to the market and to the businesses themselves! More job losses confirmed this morning.

Still not much of a reaction from the government. Tis a bit serious Brian, you might want to do something about it before the country just gets even worse (and it certinally isnt improving).

More worrying is the reports that the firm supplied 30 farms with feed and if 10 were pigs then the other 20 were???

News reports say test were taken from beef samples and results are expected at lunchtime today, now that would be a disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ridiculous recall.

few percent(no more than 6) contaminated, 100% recalled.
    logic? not much.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    ridiculous recall.

logic? not much.

Well imho i don't think it's a ridiculous recall. Now before the dogs are released i DO feel horribly bad for all the workers that have been laid off or put on protective notice as a result of this all. But in relaistic terms there had to be a 100% recall. The dioxins in the oil are known to have cancer causing agents for humans when exposed to them at high levels. This is a very serious issue. Before this came to light Ireland prided themselves as been one of the lowest producers of this dioxin in europe. Ok so let's say it's only a few rashers infected or affected whichever you please, but i'd rather miss out and keep myself cancer free. And it's not just me. If we, the consumer are eating this goods containing hazardous agents them what about all these employees in the pork industry that work with or have contact with this produce. It had to be done and i think it's a very good reaction by the government to be honest.

It's shows the determination to right a wrong and in this time where they do very little if anything right i for one applaud them on the decision.

/** now release the hounds :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

ridiculous recall.

logic? not much.
    But sure, how would they know they were getting that exact 6% back?? 100% only realistic option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ridiculous recall.

logic? not much.

Feck all tracability in pork. What would you have done if it was strychnine in the pork?

I can understand what you are saying lads, but if we have been eating it for the past 3 months at least and the experts there is no health risk then would another 3 or 4 weeks make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

/me puts down the remains of a rasher sandwich....

eh what?

Eat away Shay, Oh a I'd love a smoked streaky rasher :D

Carlow firm released a statment saying they only ever sourced Oil from a Legitimate supplier in the Republic. Who's the oil supplier and were they supplying what they were supposed to be?

testicle wrote: »
    Feck all tracability in pork. What would you have done if it was strychnine in the pork?

Ok, but it wasn't strychnine. It was something that, unless we take a concentrated amount over a period of time..isn't going to cause much harm, if any.

btw, nine one one(esso) were selling sausages, from france apparently.
    people are afraid to buy them so when I got a baguette with sausages in it she gave me 7! :D:D

happy days :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

... so when I got a baguette with sausages in it she gave me 7! :D:D

happy days :P

Dead man walking :P

Dead man walking :P

hey, it was worth it.
    damn nice baguette it was :D

(still a rip off though.. :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

What happened Carla since I left? All these stories of hoors around Carlow and Carlow business men bringin them in from around the world. And now this

• Advertisement

THE MEAT IS BACK!!!!

my god, i had 5 rashers this morning, heaven!!! omg mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

/**cue homer simpson salivating scene**\

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm baaaaaaaaccccccccooooooonnnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

stick-dan wrote: »
    THE MEAT IS BACK!!!!

my god, i had 5 rashers this morning, heaven!!! omg mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

/**cue homer simpson salivating scene**\

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm rasssssshhhhhheeeeeerrrrrrrrssssssss

homer calls it bacon..

ShayK1 wrote: »
    homer calls it bacon..

sorry shay i'll amend my earlier post ;)

Search for "homer bacon" without the quotes in a google image search, there is one weird result!

Villain wrote: »
    Search for "homer bacon" without the quotes in a google image search, there is one weird result!

lol, just don't go posting that picture.

Its looks wrong actually as in illegal i.e. too young!

lol it really does, ok change of subject

pork might have went bad for a while but the chicken inductry made a mint them few days on us carnivores!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

testicle wrote: »
    Feck all tracability in pork.

Ah... and your source of this is???? I work in the meat industry - massive traceability on everything! Its throw away comments like that that really don't help in times like this..... :(

Boll0x xeroshero I do the I.T. for a few companies in the Pork Industry and full tracability systems are talked about been installed next year, so maybe where you work have full tracability but not every company so before you start shouting down others maybe you need to look around a little :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

xeroshero wrote: »
    Ah... and your source of this is???? I work in the meat industry - massive traceability on everything! Its throw away comments like that that really don't help in times like this..... :(

Beef in the shop is tracable back to the individual animal. Pork can not even be traced back to a farm.

Advertisement