Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge Cardiac First Responder Programme

Options
  • 07-12-2008 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and girls,
    I am looking to see if anyone here is from the Celbridge (Co. Kildare) area and would be interested in getting on board with our Cardiac First Responder Programme which is in the initial stages of formation. We are currently planning to launch the programme with the help of Celbridge Community Council.
    The role of a Cardiac Community First Responder Programme is to reduce the number of preventable Cardiac deaths in an area by providing timely CPR and Defibrillation before advanced medical help can arrive (i.e an Ambulance with Paramedics). The idea of the scheme would be that a team of trained responders would be on call at any one time and would receive calls to attend medical cardiac events to initiate life saving care before the ambulance arrives. The scheme is voluntary and full training will be given to volunteers as per the PHECC (Pre Hospital Emergency Care Council) CFR Course Guidelines. Members will also be fully insured and ongoing training and debriefing would be a key component.

If anyone here is interested, you can email me at david@celbridgefirstresponder.net or send me a PM

Thanks,

David Wallace
    Celbridge Community Cardiac First Responder Scheme

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BizPost

How will the system work, have Health Board agreed to page you or does joe public have to ring you?

Where's the nearest ambulance base to you now and what would do the normal response time be?

Sorry for all the q's I just know some previous schemes in Dublin have run into problems where the ambulance control wouldn't call the FR even if they were stuck. But then other counties have been successful.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Hi BizPost. we've taken some advice on the subject from other groups. And we're hoping that if we put forward the right formula to the HSE ambulance control that they will take us on board as a linked First Responder Programme. Our nearest ambulance base is Maynooth. Response times vary greatly. Maynooth only has one ambulance, and if that one is busy next nearest is naas, which is a good 20 minute drive away. Technically if the maynooth ambulance was sitting in the station ready to go it could be in celbridge 7-10 minutes later.
    I know what your saying about the HSE being a bit hit and miss sometimes, but we're hoping that if we organise well, and conform fully to the HSE guidelines we'll be able to maintain a decent working relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

The HSE Ambulance Service, Eastern Region which takes in Dublin, Wicklow and Kildare currently have a Community First Responder programme running.
    There are also dedicated in service instructors, all frontline Paramedics who carry out the training for the CFR's.

Equipment and items of clothing (to help with identification) is also supplied by the Ambulance Service. Items of equipment used by the CFR are often replaced by the attending Ambulance crew, or can be replaced at an Ambulance Station.

Ambulance Control will alert the CFR to cardiac/medical emergency in their area, they are not responded to trauma incidents, RTA's etc as the training doesn't include RTA management. Safety would be a huge priority here.

Have you spoken to the Training & Development Officer/s covering your area?

The very best of luck to anyone willing to set up a cardiac community/work place response team as there are far too many sudden cardiac deaths in this country. Lives can and will be saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BizPost

Yea the problem in Dublin might have been with Fire Brigade as they control the city ambulance service.

Sounds like a great idea once its used and great thing for people to give up their time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭fuddy1

So I know i'm about 6 years too late but does anyone know if the Celbridge First Responder programme got up and running?
    Would be interested in volunteering in a community scheme if such a thing did exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

fuddy1 wrote: »
    So I know i'm about 6 years too late but does anyone know if the Celbridge First Responder programme got up and running?
    Would be interested in volunteering in a community scheme if such a thing did exist.

same as above...
    is the scheme up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 drill

emtally wrote: »
    same as above...
    is the scheme up and running?

Not sure if the group are still up and running,but they are not set up with NAS Control

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

drill wrote: »
    Not sure if the group are still up and running,but they are not set up with NAS Control

Any movement?

Advertisement