Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best vehicle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

funny-car-photos-classic-were-ready-for-those-zombies-trank-treads-gun.jpg

Ok, thats me sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

KTRIC wrote: »
    funny-car-photos-classic-were-ready-for-those-zombies-trank-treads-gun.jpg

Ok, thats me sorted :D

ZOMORGASM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

How does that work Stevie? Looks awesome :D

If you want another pint you better chip in and keep on peddling! Team effort to keep it moving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

aaronh007 wrote: »

Knight-XV.jpg

It's ok, i suppose.. but if you're going big, might as well............

maurader.jpg

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Came acrosss this.
    Mighty Car Mods: How To Zombie Proof Your Car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Its all realitive really.
    Really depends on your environment for the best form of transport.
    If your in the middle of the countryside i would prefer the 4x4 with heavy duty bull bars.
    Middle of Templebar when the s**t hits the fans im sticking to me own two feet and once out of cobblestones and windy, narrow streets i probably would grab a bike but mostly because it would be the easiest thing to commandeer. If a car was sitting there, engine idling and i'd 10 sausage munching lads eyeing up my padded rear end i would certainly go for the car.
    If your talking an "I am Legend" scenario though and day to day living i would probably have several forms of transport dotted around the area with easy access and all pointing to a clear escape path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The British army are offloading a pile of vehicles at the moment, so if anyone has fifteen grand or so knocking around, a privately owned tank could be yours! It may get three miles to the gallon, but at least nothing will stop you for those three miles. No road tax either, military vehicles are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I'd initially take the bike as a bailout vehicle to get out of town because I've got 8 decent bikes in my house and I know how to use them and keep the running forever and obviously I don't want to get caught in traffic in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.

In the long run I'd try and set up a base somewhere remote and keep a diseal 4x4 there prepped and ready to go in case I got surrounded and needed to bash my way out. A jeep or something would be handy as well for picking up bulky supplies.
    Everyday toing and froing and scouting and such would be done by bike, cyclocross bike preferably since they're designed to be carried over obstacles and ridden both on and off road, much faster and more efficient than a mountain bike too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Skoda Octavia, great mpg and the boot is big enough to mount a .50cal in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

May not be a bad thing, after a while it would be easier to generate electricity than it would be to source oil or even manufacture it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

all that armour on it though, and ye dont get a lot of mileage from leccy power either, i'd guess about 20 maybe 30 miles at a push. Not up to speed on how effecient they are but last i heard the batteries get about 50 miles before they need recharging.

But what the hell, it almost put's Mad Max's V8 interceptor to shame.. almost :)

all that armour on it though, and ye dont get a lot of mileage from leccy power either, i'd guess about 20 maybe 30 miles at a push. Not up to speed on how effecient they are but last i heard the batteries get about 50 miles before they need recharging.
    I think the newer cars will do 100-150 on a charge. It depends on the car and how it's utilizing the electric motor. Some are only made for short stints to rest the combustion engine some are made to run a bit longer on the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Seeing as someone's already posted about the marauder, I'm from the country so its a case of utilize what you have

Throw sheep at them

Or lure them to your farm and drop them in the silage pit, 40+ foot deep so about the height of a six story building roughly, drop in a bitta lime and a few matches, job done until the next batch :D

Or if all else fails, get your cutting gear out and go at them in yer massy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Ford pick-up.

Top-gear have aptly shown you cannot disable one of these...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Ford pick-up.

Top-gear have aptly shown you cannot disable one of these...
    Ya would find yerself in for a nasty surprise there.

Top gear showed that the Toyota Hilux was indestrucable, specifically the mid 80's diesel.

They tested the Ford pickup in a different in a different episode and showed how utterly rubbish it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Death-Race-Dreadnaught.jpg

I imagine that there will be large feul reserves, as most people will be gone.
    This also can double as a base/housing. It is a mobile fortress that can push road traffic out of the way, while giving protection to occupants/residents. One section of the container could be kept intact, for fresh water supplies.

It would also allow for motor bikes to be attached, which give quick mobility for food/ammo runs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

a nice new holland tm to get supplies at first in the short term
    bike or horse cart for long term
    a sulkey could become a chariot with scythe wheels

everyone talking about cars realises petrol has an expiry date

I imagine that there will be large feul reserves, as most people will be gone.
    I think we need clarification on this issue, I've shot an email off to Topaz asking them for some information on how much fuel would be on the island of Ireland at any particular time.

Thinking diesel there is no shortage, as biodiesel is relatively easy to produce. Also remember that 99% of the population is gone. Using a couple of hundred litres a week is not going to dent the stocks. Each fuel station has thousands of litres of fuel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Thinking diesel there is no shortage, as biodiesel is relatively easy to produce. Also remember that 99% of the population is gone. Using a couple of hundred litres a week is not going to dent the stocks. Each fuel station has thousands of litres of fuel

all of which will be sold or stockpiled when panic buyers hit them :)

We've seen fuel shortages in the UK when they get a rush on the pumps and they have open borders, no apocalypse in sight and probably huge fuel reserves.

I put the question, does Ireland have a big fuel reserve or do we use good transport networks and efficient management to keep fuel coming in as needed to save on storage costs.

I'm not sure how often a petrol station get's refills (should have asked that too :mad:) but if it's once a week then we could run out pretty quick. Petrol station aren't going to shell out more money than they need to on fuel reserves when they can order more fuel and have it delivered the next day.

It's a Japanese manufacturing technique called "World Class Manufacturing or lean manufacturing.. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_world_class_manufacturing
    It means you don't stock any more product and parts than you actually need so there's no need for stocking more raw material than you need at any particular time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

one thing to remember about Bio diesel is that the engine needs to be sorted out to run on it, biodiesel is made using ethanol and that can perish rubber seals, most new engines are capable of running on biodiesel, but the technology can be a bit beyond the backyard mechanic, something like a merc 5 cylinder would be easier to work with but apparently they have 17 rubber seals which need to be replaced

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think we need clarification on this issue, I've shot an email off to Topaz asking them for some information on how much fuel would be on the island of Ireland at any particular time.

You hear anything back?

You hear anything back?
    No, disappointing. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

best vehicle is a tank. show me a zombie that can beat a tank? if you want one that is available for day to day use and are likely to come across one then a truck/garbage collector. big can run over them and not cause too much damage it it and high up driving area making it harder for them to reach

No, disappointing. :mad:

Well given that the population would go from 4 million to a few thousand then I think that there would still be a fair amount of diesel still around for a while (especially all that lovely green diesel)

magnumbud wrote: »
    best vehicle is a tank. show me a zombie that can beat a tank? if you want one that is available for day to day use and are likely to come across one then a truck/garbage collector. big can run over them and not cause too much damage it it and high up driving area making it harder for them to reach
    While tanks are the strongest vehicle you can get your hands on they're not exactly user friendly. If you don't know what your doing you could easily get it stuck, if it breaks down it's going to be a bugger to fix and it will eat through fuel at an alarming rate.
    Well given that the population would go from 4 million to a few thousand then I think that there would still be a fair amount of diesel still around for a while (especially all that lovely green diesel)
    Green diesel will be spread throughout the country as many farmers will have their own supply. If there's a run at the pumps they could dry up leaving only the large stores which are designed to move large amounts of fuel between large containers and have loads of security (not just people security) I would say it could be difficult enough for someone that doesn't work at one of these plants to actually get the fuel out safely and if there's no electricity probably next to impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

While tanks are the strongest vehicle you can get your hands on they're not exactly user friendly. If you don't know what your doing you could easily get it stuck, if it breaks down it's going to be a bugger to fix and it will eat through fuel at an alarming rate.
    ya but what zombie is going to get into me :-)

• Advertisement

Remember the reason that I chose that vehicle. It is a mobile fortress. You scavenge and move on. You could spend weeks in one place, in relative safety and only move on once the supplies have been collected.
    If you run out of fuel, you still have a relatively safe base of operations.

Food wise Ireland is a good place to be but, in all reality, fuel is always going to be a problem on a small island nation. All vehicles are going to run into this issue, as some stage.

A Bicycle does not really count as it is not that fast and provides zero protection.

Advertisement