Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all this recession talk...

Options
  • 05-12-2008 4:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

has me wondering

if things keep going the way they are- will there be a chance the goverment will just run out of money and there will be no dole, im always terrified if someone i love lost their job and there was no money left for dole what would happen to them

sorry im thick when it comes to politics or anything so maybe this has already been sorted

just wondering
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The 'recession' is just a scare tactic to stop people overspending the way have been over the past 10 years. We'll all be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

o for ****s sake...

an other reccession thread...

they wont get the dole... we will have a famine... its all mary harneys plan to make all the obese women lose weight!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Even if things got as bad as I think they possibly could, i doubt unemployment would break the 20% mark....so i'd say the government could still pay out the dole although the economy would alread be beyond repair at that point so they might aswell just print more money and do a zimbabwae :p

Also, I see no reason why we shouldnt see famine or drought worldwide in or lifetime. the population aint getting any smaller and the planet aint getting bigger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What i dont get is, if we were all rich, but now we're all poor, does that not still make us all even?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,887 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The 'recession' is just a scare tactic to stop people overspending the way have been over the past 10 years. We'll all be grand.
    Says the man living it up in Australia!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

will there be a chance the goverment will just run out of money and there will be no dole
    No, they will just get loans to keep things going, leaving us with record high private and public debt, a first I think. Of course that would mean we get booted out of the EU, but sure whats that matter as long as FF get the brown envelopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

*Yawn*

Hey sorry guys I was asleep there for a few months. What's all this about a recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

certainly seems to be no recession of recession threads in AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Even if things got as bad as I think they possibly could, i doubt unemployment would break the 20% mark....so i'd say the government could still pay out the dole although the economy would alread be beyond repair at that point so they might aswell just print more money and do a zimbabwae :p

Also, I see no reason why we shouldnt see famine or drought worldwide in or lifetime. the population aint getting any smaller and the planet aint getting bigger!!

Unemployment is predicted to be 10% by the end of next year. Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

We are part of the EU. We have plenty of borrowing capactiy (not ideal).

The main saviour here is that we will go back to the 80's and early 90's when the then EEC gave us loads of cash. We won't be left isolated. Unless the left wingers Declan Ganley lunatics get the uninformed to vote NO again to the certain re-referendum on Lisbon. We could be left out on our own then,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    *Yawn*

Hey sorry guys I was asleep there for a few months. What's all this about a recession?

There has been a large increase in the amount of men and women with receeding hairlines.
    It is believed that it has been a ploy be the company ReGain to increase revenue. It has somehow affected the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

murphym7 wrote: »

I wouldn't have thought so. Isn't it part of the EU 'rules' that countries can only borrow a certain percentage of what they have?

Something I believe Ireland continuously breaks and pays the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Recession me B*llox things are still the same,hard,only rich greedy people are being hit by this,ordinary working skins are still the same off as they were before this loada waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Irlbo wrote: »
    Recession me B*llox things are still the same,hard,only rich greedy people are being hit by this,ordinary working skins are still the same off as they were before this loada waffle

Except the one's that lost their jobs and can't find new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

It'll be grand. Biffo will have a look down the back of them Dáil seats for loose change and we'll out of the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

what gets on my tits is people calling it "The recession" its 'A Recession' FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

How about anyone not being affected about the recession not talk about it. FFS we're half talking ourselves into it. I for one am liking it at the moment. Everything is the exact same work-wise and prices are getting cheaper.

Recession for all!

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

We're going back to the stone age. Thankfully a hairy alpha male like myself will be treated as a king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

bryanjf wrote: »

I think you'll find its name is Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There has been a large increase in the amount of men and women with receeding hairlines.
    It is believed that it has been a ploy be the company ReGain to increase revenue. It has somehow affected the economy.

That's a hair-raising idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Mark200 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so. Isn't it part of the EU 'rules' that countries can only borrow a certain percentage of what they have?

Something I believe Ireland continuously breaks and pays the fine.
    The EU won't give us structural loans to pay off out public debt. Part of the Stability and Growth pact is that we can only borrow up to 3% of GDP unless there are exceptional circumstances (i.e. right now). We have never had to pay a fine for exceeding a borrowing limit. We got a slap on the wrist once for having a too cyclical budget in 2001/2002.
    murphym7 wrote: »

The main saviour here is that we will go back to the 80's and early 90's when the then EEC gave us loads of cash. We won't be left isolated.
    No. Just no. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭monkeytronics

we (as a nation) need to implement huge cut backs in unnecessary spending.

one example might be to stop wasting public money on feeding, clothing, educating and providing a warm room for long-term serious criminals - e.g. murderers rapists. etc....

Just shoot them instead and save the years of public expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

has me wondering

if things keep going the way they are- will there be a chance the goverment will just run out of money and there will be no dole, im always terrified if someone i love lost their job and there was no money left for dole what would happen to them

sorry im thick when it comes to politics or anything so maybe this has already been sorted

just wondering

I'm more worried about people losing their jobs. The dole is obviously a life-line and an important one for a struggling family. But job creation and retention should be a prime issue for our Government. If jobs are created, people can find work. There will always be funds for the dole - but it's important that at times like this, we really have to crack down on those who abuse the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

look ahead on the horizon there...whos that? why its mr sarkozy with a new lisbon referendum. whats he saying? "ziz recession, with a simple yes vote i can make it all go away..." cue an overwhelming yes victory and the country thinks its grand....for a while. then the reality of the yes vote sinks in, and yet again we're ****ed.

this country has never been able to see past the end of its nose, why should it start thinking long term now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

bryanjf wrote: »

Hairy tits?

Ok so I want to open a topic... Examples

"How are you getting on in a recession"

- which one?

"What do you think of a recession"?

- in general?

Hmmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

It's important in these times of recession that we learn to save money where we can. At the moment I am drafting a letter to the boards.ie staff suggesting that they bring in mandatory txt spk for all posters. With the reduce on wear on our keyboards we should only have to replace them every 6 years and two days (As opposed to 6 years). When you add all the people who post here together, that's like a week and a half of savings. Also, it would significantly reduce the ammount of space and bandwidth required by the MySql server. This would have two benifits. It would save money (And I hear boards.ie may soon be looking for a government bailout) and it would also help ease the problems CuLT has been having with the database server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Hey look, if we run out of money Biffo can just print more. It worked for Zimbabwe like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

All of us with jobs would resign in solidarity if we had any dignity or self respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Hey look, if we run out of money Biffo can just print more. It worked for Zimbabwe like.

That's true, they are all millionares over there now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

has me wondering

just wondering

And theres talk of this happening now

im just physic

Advertisement