Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are rte milking fr.ted to death!?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

No, i agree with some of the posters above, you can never have enough father ted. I don't watch tv much, but when i turn it on and father ted happens to be on it makes my day. One of the few good programs rte imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Father Ted is, in my opinion, the finest comedy to have ever come out of this country. But do you think that rte are using it to death!!?
    I cant seem to recall a time when it wasnt on dring the week at some point (usually monday)!!:pac:

Father Ted is overrated as foook. Also who the foook still watches rte?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

For years, my personal motto was: "AhhhH!!!! I'm still on that FECKIN' ISLAND!!"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Father Ted is overrated as foook. Also who the foook still watches rte?

I'm going to have to ask you to retract that statement and apologise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There's a Father Ted social group?! I can haz be member?

You can haz indeed. It is wrong to not be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

I have to agree with the OP. Rte are getting lazy presenting this annually to licence payers. Anyone who wants to watch this so often will have bought the box set by now. When I saw the trailer that this was going to be on on Monday in their "comedy night", I was disappointed but expected it. Fr. Ted was good in its day, but it is stale now. I guess its just dated. If it were a new release now, it may get a cult following but it would be nowhere near the amount of people who watched it in its heyday. It was exceptional for its time, but we have moved on... Its certainly time RTE shelved it for at least a decade, then a one off run as a classic. The Catholic Church is no where near the sacred cow it once was. Tommy Tiernan mocks it and gets slated on this board for flogging the same old ****e. Ironic now that it appears Fr. Ted seems to be above criticism. (Anyway the acting in it was poor at best)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

j1smithy wrote: »
    I have to agree with the OP. Rte are getting lazy presenting this annually to licence payers. Anyone who wants to watch this so often will have bought the box set by now. When I saw the trailer that this was going to be on on Monday in their "comedy night", I was disappointed but expected it. Fr. Ted was good in its day, but it is stale now. I guess its just dated. If it were a new release now, it may get a cult following but it would be nowhere near the amount of people who watched it in its heyday. It was exceptional for its time, but we have moved on... Its certainly time RTE shelved it for at least a decade, then a one off run as a classic. The Catholic Church is no where near the sacred cow it once was. Tommy Tiernan mocks it and gets slated on this board for flogging the same old ****e. Ironic now that it appears Fr. Ted seems to be above criticism. (Anyway the acting in it was poor at best)

What a crock of horse shit (no offence to you personally).

The programme has only dated because the jokes are over 10 years old! A new generation is coming along and won't know anything about the 1994 World Cup, us winning the Eurovision the whole time, or Roddy Doyle books. That's just life. I don't see how a show can be criticised for something it has no control over.

However other jokes such as the token skanger, the boring priest, and general idiocies are timeless, hence why so many still find it hilarious to this day.

As for saying the acting 'was poor at best', well that's ridiculous.

As for saying the acting 'was poor at best', well that's ridiculous.

Ironic that the only professionally trained actor in the show was Fr Jack.
    ;)

If anything, it made the show better!

BTW
    Father Noel Furlong has just got Terry Wogan's job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i cant watch it anymore. Used to love it but cant stand it now. Its pure crap.

Domo230 wrote: »

{EDIT} Apparently there making an american version of father ted. I really hope not.

http://www.fathertedonline.ukf.net/americanversion.htm

:eek:

It'll never be as good as the original. But the Americans may like it as it will have an American theme, probably not be liked this side of the pond!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Domo230 wrote: »
    Well most of rtes budget now goes into quality programming such as the late late show, colin and jim jims home run and a j1 summer.

{Looks at list of shows}

Wait there feckin shafting us

Down with this sort of thing

{EDIT} Apparently there making an american version of father ted. I really hope not.

http://www.fathertedonline.ukf.net/americanversion.htm

That rumour has been going around for years, doubtful any truth to it thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Not to worry. He's got a bionic udder with indestructible teats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

There's a Father Ted social group?! I can haz be member?

You can no haz member

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

j1smithy wrote: »
    The Catholic Church is no where near the sacred cow it once was. Tommy Tiernan mocks it and gets slated on this board for flogging the same old ****e.

The Catholic Church was never really the main source of the jokes in Ted so your point falls flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The fact that 10 years later everyone still remembers the brilliant quotes is an indication of how great it was, and still is.

If you don't want to watch it, then watch something else.

[Chris Cocker]LEAVE FATHER TED ALONE!!!!!!![/Chris Cocker]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Never met a person who doesn't like Father Ted. Any other classic show there is alwasy someone who just doesn't like it but I've not come across anyone giving out about Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The fact that 10 years later everyone still remembers the brilliant quotes is an indication of how great it was, and still is.

Here's a few reasons why that is not a valid argument:
    • "We we're on a break!"
    • "Wasssssssupppppppp?"
    • "You are the weakest link. Goodbye!"
    • "How you doin'?"

Don't get me wrong. Father Ted is the epitome of funny but just because people remember quotes (even long ones), it doesn't mean it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

'teddy ted ted your my best friend'

fbc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

"Are those my feet?"

I love it, don't think it will ever get old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I still piss my balls everytime I see it. It never grows old, even when you know the joke before it happens. Like when Graham Norton got trapped under a load of rocks and used his HAND to look around for Ted & Dougal. Hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

"As I said the last time, Ted, it won't happen again"

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

"Were all going to lads, wahaay" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

beerbaron wrote: »
    "Were all going to lads, wahaay" :D

*facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Spiderbabies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep