Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they bothered?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Point taken about eroo`s ability to function effectively without any "support" moral or otherwise from the "establishment".

However,as is shown by some of the posts elsewhere re the Garda Ombudsmans powers,there are those who would appreciate some actual unequivocal support in what can be a thankless task.

For example the aftermath of the Mayday protests a few years ago demonstrated very clearly how young members were dropped in it and then pursued vigorously through the courts largely to satisfy the baying howling media fuelled mob.

The Minister for Justice and senior Dept of Justice officials certainly did`nt leap to the defence of those members when things were looking dim.

So too was that detachment evident in the Love Ulster gig as the standard issue uniform proved no deterrent against the sort of ordinance which was being rained down upon the wearers.

Some of the situations I saw young Gardai being exposed to that day would have in any other job,left an employer open to the most serious charges under Health & Safety "Failure to Protect" regulations.

Perhaps I crave clarity of purpose to excess,if so then I hold my hands up.

However if the State demands high levels of determination and committment from any young Garda then it should at the very least put it`s own level of committment up for inspection.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Hmmm, this Alec lad speaks a lot of sense. The effects on junior (both in rank and / or service) members from weak and two faced leadership is extremely detrimental

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

TheNog wrote: »
    What station was that and what was the message?

TBH I think that is very, very strange.

I dont find this strange, when I lived in Dingle, if you ring the garda station outside of certain hours (being a small area, it seldom needed the office open) you would get the answering machine, which would tell you to contact Tralee garda station for all emergencies. But I respect in an area like Dingle a missing dog and a traffic jam caused by runaway sheep is not reason enough to keep gardai in the station 24/7 like in Cork and Dublin:)

Advertisement