Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options
1112113114115116118»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

What controls the "call for heat" for the heatpump?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

The heatpump itself I guess? I was presuming it was when room temperature < set temperature but I don't know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Sols12

Hi - We're looking at a 8.5KW heat pump with 300L cylinder being installed. The installers are planning to have the pipework from the heat pump go up the side of the house (2 stories) through the attic and into the hot press where the cylinder will be.

With the cylinder being quite a few meters away from the heatpump would this be a bad idea? It would have adequate insulation around the pipework but I'm wondering if the distance will cause unforeseen issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

the shortest route is the best due to heat losses in the pipework which comes on to my next point. the pipes going up the side of the house...are they internal or external? if external the system will incur significant heat loss between the outdoor and indoor units. perhaps they have a plan to insulate the pipes over and above the insulation which comes with the pipework.

from memory my heat pump installer guide (thermia) says the max distance between the units should not exceed 8m...i can't say that applies to all makes but as a rule of thumb it sounds like you could be on upper limit of the 8m guide if the pipework is fixed to the external wall. if internal then it won't matter as much as heat losses will largely be internal.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

There will be some loss, but the preinsulated pipe you get now is pretty good at not letting heat escape.

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Sols12

They will be external and I'll have to confirm about extra insulation.

I will try measure as best I can as yes it will certainly be close to 8m if that's the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

perhaps as @graememk says it'll be fine. i'm just going off my own experience and what the plumber was advising regarding distances (backed up by the thermia install guidance). best to query the issue with installer.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

I suppose it's all about the insulation really.

Did the installer do a full proper heatloss survey and calculation, or has the size been guessed ?

Is the heating being done via the cylinder or via a diverter valve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JayBee66

Other than refrigerant, what are the main differences between a standard Mitsubishi Ecodan and an Ecodan R290?

I am using the HeatPunk website to model my heating requirements with A2W through radiators.

At a flow temperature of 45 degrees...

Standard 6KW Ecodan outputs 6287W - SCOP of 4.07

R290 6KW Ecodan outputs 5941W - SCOP 3.9

It would appear that I get more heat and efficiency with the standard Ecodan.

Is the R290 version just for those worried about leaking R32 into the atmosphere?

Presumably, the R290 version is more expensive too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

As mentioned on previous posts I have been getting quotes for various heat pumps over the least few months.

Have very competitive quote for a Samsung Gen 6 and wondering has anybody any feedback on these units?

Secondly, are there any suppliers of the Vaillant Arotherm in Ireland, can't seem to find any? They seem a well used and liked unit across the water.

Thanks

• Advertisement

R290 performance is better than R32 at higher temps.

Can get cop of 3 with mine with the air temp 7, water 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

Anyone know of anyone in the Cork (Cobh) area that could service our heat pump? I'm trying loads of places but none of them are even replying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

If you have a Samsung joule system give me a PM and I'll give you a contact. Unfortunately my dude only does these systems

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Well at least he sounds like a heating engineer who would therefore understand heatpumps and will therefore understand flow rates and Delta T, rather than just being a plumber

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Normally it's the water temperature in the cylinder. Once the hot water leaves to go round the heating loops, the temperature in the cylinder drops, and the heat pump kicks in. It depends on how the controls are configured though.

The zone stats only control the heating loops, rather than the outside unit itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Yes Samsung units are very reliable and reasonably priced.

Nobody has the Valliant agency in Ireland yet, they're only in the UK AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JayBee66

Has anyone retro-fitted a Daikin Altherma 3 H HT to their home?

Supposedly high temperature but R32 refrigerant.

I would interested to know of anyone's COP with radiators, using this heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bauney

Hi all,

I am about to replace my Daikin Split Unit Heat pump (10 years old). One of the boards in the outdoor unit needed replacing which was affected during the January storms. All things considered it was a better solution for me to replace the indoor and outdoor unit (as the outdoor unit was no longer available so needed compatible indoor unit).

Is there a 2nd hand market for any of the parts of the units, e.g. fans (3 years old), compressor etc…?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bawnBeag

I'm looking at nibe f2040 12kw, being quoted €14k which includes the internal part. Would you mind pm'ing me who you went with?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Wondering if anyone can help with this. Our taps are suddenly dispensing boiling hot water even though the temp on the tank is still showing 48 degrees. We had the BER assessor around looking at the tank today and he says he didn't change anything but it can't be a coincidence that it's suddenly boiling. Any idea what he might have changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

My guess is the Legonella cycle has been turned on. That would increase the temp to 60 degrees

Any idea how that might have triggered and why it would be constantly on?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

What make and model heatpump?

Advertisement