Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating to christian / religious charities

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

Sangre wrote: »
    I think the real question is, why would an atheist give to a charity?

because they have empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And on the 1,480th day, the thread was resurrected and rose again - it's a miracle!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, howdy there, 2008.

Welcome to the end of 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

IBTL. The world didn't end, just in case you're wondering back in 2008.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

eoin5 wrote: »
    I wonder where SVP sit on this, I've always thought of them as a worthwhile charity.

I don't. The last time I checked they had a 60 million turnover and no breakdown where the money went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I have given to religious-based charities in the past. It may be an empathy gesture but I believed some of the ads from Trocaire and others that they were helping people and not just prosletising.

Then, after that Irish Times list of the earnings of the CEOs of charities - many over €100,000 - I realised I was a mug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sangre wrote: »
    I think the real question is, why would an atheist give to a charity?

Well it takes all sorts to fund this kind of lifestyle

Pope-Gold-Pearls.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i always give a few coins to the salvation army,i have seen them work all over the world, helping the poorest,the down and out,feeding and giving food, shelter, and clothing for those in need,pitty other religions do not do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

getz wrote: »
    i always give a few coins to the salvation army,i have seen them work all over the world, helping the poorest,the down and out,feeding and giving food, shelter, and clothing for those in need,pitty other religions do not do the same.

Unless they're gay, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Unless they're gay, of course.
    and there was me thinking a brothel was a soup kitchen

• Advertisement
Advertisement