Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving my 3000m time

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

cfitz wrote: »
    Voici un 'double'!
    pardon-moi
    Erm... Ne le fais pas(?)

Don't do the recovery run and break the threshold into reps. Start with 2x10mins, then 3x10 mins, then maybe 2 x 15 or just 1x 20. do the core after it if you feel up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

Just reading through all the threads. I'm 21 year old athlete who is just starting back training after about a 3/4 year lay off, during which I managed to keep myself just about ticking over fitness wise.

I've started back training two weeks ago and I am aiming for the track season next year. Distance 800m/1500m. Looking to go sub 2 minutes for 800m, previous best 2.04 from about 4/5 years ago. At the moment I don't have a set training plan but will draw up one over the next week.
    My current training is along the lines:
    Tempo Runs (20 - 35mins - Fast enough pace)
    Recovery Runs (40mins)
    Fartleg Session (20mins)
    Time trial once every 3 weeks (Approx 4 mins)
    Good mix of fields, forest track and road.

Going from the previous threads I think I need to increase the length of my runs and maybe reduce my tempo and input. I know I need to build my aerobic level of fitness over the next 2/3 months so will plan to increase the distance of my runs gradually over the next few weeks.

I also include the following circuits into my schedule: Press ups, sit ups, skipping, burpees.
    I think I need some specific excercises and activities designed to develop my core over the next few months. Anyone have any ideas?

If anyone has any more adive on training I'd be glad to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Training with others around the 2 minute mark would be ideal. Do you have a group to train with?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

At the moment I am training on my own but in another two months I'll train once or twice a week with a good group of athletes with good times. But right now I want to get myself into good shape,build a good foundation for the track season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

tergat wrote: »
    Woddle,

Give me some info on yourself including training years, experience and PB's for 400, 800, 1500, 3000, 5000, 10000 and longer if you have ventured into this teritory. I will tell you then.

Also if you don't know what type you are, do a full-blown 200m, after a very through 20 minute warm up (including several moderate 100m strides). Then, walk around for 3 minutes and run the 200m the opposite direction on the track. Record those times and tell me how you did. Tell me you age, gender, and experience in the sport.

Tergat

Hi Tergat
    I'm back running 15 months now. Without any training for the shorter stuff I've ran
    800m-2:31
    1500m-5:15
    5k-19:25
    5m-33:07
    marathon- 3:37

I did the 200s after a set of 8x400 and I ran 35 seconds and 33 seconds for 200, I then finished it with a 14.7 100m
    I'm 30 and male and I've always kind of raced(fun runs) up to the year 2002, never trained properly, more of a footballer back then, I'm also about 2 stone over my weight of 2002 when I was last running but all my times are actually faster now than back then, probably a combination of more info and listening to Racing flat.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement