Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck Boss to sue RTE

Options
  • 02-12-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

Radio 1 News is reporting that Jimmy Quinn, the President of the Irish Road Haulage Association is to step down on a temporary basis from his post. Furthermore, he is to sue RTE over yesterday's Prime Time expose.

I'll post more when it comes to hand....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Radio 1 News is reporting that Jimmy Quinn, the President of the Irish Road Haulage Association is to step down on a temporary basis from his post. Furthermore, he is to sue RTE over yesterday's Prime Time expose.

I'll post more when it comes to hand....

As far as i'm concerned, he's finished, he's as guilty as Beverley Cooper Flynn!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What's he suing them for, the truth? :rolleyes: If you can't do the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What was said or claimed on the program?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What was said or claimed on the program?

Detailed thread over in Motors

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055431500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

He's as guilty as sin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like aftertiming but I have long reckoned him to be of dubious character.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Why the hell do RTE still use Realplayer??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1202/hauliers.html

Irish Road Haulage Association President Jimmy Quinn is temporarily stepping aside from his position, following last night's Prime Time Investigates programme into the haulage industry. In a statement issued today, the IRHA said Mr Quinn had 'figured briefly in the programme' and was now in the process of lodging a libel complaint against RTÉ.

He had decided to step aside from his role until that complaint was dealt with. His role will be undertaken by IRHA Vice President Liam Brewer.

'The IRHA will not condone any law-breaking on the part of its members, and will not support action which endanger public safety,' said Mr Brewer. 'As an association, we're committed to bringing our industry to the highest levels of professionalism and responsibility.'

The association said that it planned to do a 'line by line investigation' of accusations made in the programme against three named haulage companies. It said it had repeatedly brought problems likely to lead to flouting of the regulations to the attention of the authorities. The IRHA has complained to the authorities about the failure to police illegal operators and about the fact that no haulier found to have repeatedly broken the law has ever lost their license. It said that its investigations into the operations of its member companies would begin immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Hamndegger wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1202/hauliers.html

Irish Road Haulage Association President Jimmy Quinn is temporarily stepping aside from his position, following last night's Prime Time Investigates programme into the haulage industry. In a statement issued today, the IRHA said Mr Quinn had 'figured briefly in the programme' and was now in the process of lodging a libel complaint against RTÉ.

He had decided to step aside from his role until that complaint was dealt with. His role will be undertaken by IRHA Vice President Liam Brewer.

'The IRHA will not condone any law-breaking on the part of its members, and will not support action which endanger public safety,' said Mr Brewer. 'As an association, we're committed to bringing our industry to the highest levels of professionalism and responsibility.'

The association said that it planned to do a 'line by line investigation' of accusations made in the programme against three named haulage companies. It said it had repeatedly brought problems likely to lead to flouting of the regulations to the attention of the authorities. The IRHA has complained to the authorities about the failure to police illegal operators and about the fact that no haulier found to have repeatedly broken the law has ever lost their license. It said that its investigations into the operations of its member companies would begin immediately.

He certainly looked very uneasy when questioned and was unable to justify his company's actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't say I'm surprised - on either count.

I'm not sure what he's suing them for though to be honest. His (former) company was taken to the LRT and found guilty of numerous breaches of the regulations and ordered to pay compensation which apparently to date he hasn't done. This is a matter of record as far as I could tell.

In fact, as far as I recall he admitted it in his subsequent (3 days later) interview so I really don't see the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Saw him on telly last night and he came across as really really arrogant & shifty. Surely now he's finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Hopefully he'll get his just treatment.
    It's lugs like him profiteering from cheap labour and nigh on slavery driving many (haulage) businesses down the drain.
    Hopefully it's the start of a lockdown on slave labour here;it's only ourselves we're hurting in the long run doing ourselves out of jobs...
    But that pales into oblivion in comparison to the humanitarian issues at hand.
    His lawsuit will probably succeed against RTE but hopefully he'll be prosecuted for his wrongdoings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

His legal action against RTE makes no sense unless he intends to blow the whistle on what really went on with the trucking industry and why our democratically elected officials have bent over for it big time and how. In which case this will never get to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can we keep this factual and not delve into the realm of hearsay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Victor wrote: »
    Can we keep this factual and not delve into the realm of hearsay?

Sure. The trucking industry in this country is paragon of virtue and honest business practice which operates on a level playing field. The Irish government is there for the people and the society first and foremost.

I also have some oceanside property in Edgeworthstown for sale if anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It is despicable that some businessmen and women do not pay migrant workers properly or supply them with a contract of employment. I've my fair share of experience with people of that ilk. One of my friends, a Slovak girl, has been exploited on multiple occasions.

A vicious, merciless assault on greedy and immoral bosses is what's needed now to extirpate this problem. The thought that many of the huge, powerful juggernauts on our roads are being driven by exhausted men is terrifying. It is amazing, frankly, that there hasn't been a spate of horrific deaths over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

As a former long distance truck driver, i feel a lot of sympathy for jimmy quinn and ballinalard transport about the way they were unfairly treated on the prime time programme.We have to cross the u.k.to access the markets of europe ,and its simply just not possible to leave a meat factory in the early hours of saturday morning ,and be in the south of france or italy on monday morning! Quinn,Keenan,adare,loane,mcgill,tansey,oleary.travers,nolan, are just some of the names of haulage companies that have been keeping our exports alive over the last 20 years.Give them a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

We have to cross two continents to access the markets of europe
    Ireland is in Europe! :confused:

PS - the title of your thread is a bit misleading as you appear to be calling Jimmy Quinn as 'ass'. It might be better to avoid the abreviation and insert 'association'. ;)

Just ammended it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged.
    We have to cross the u.k.to access the markets of europe ,and its simply just not possible to leave a meat factory in the early hours of saturday morning ,and be in the south of france or italy on monday morning! !
    Then get a second driver to complete the journey. If everyone obeyed the rules, the industry wouldn't be so cut-throat.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Threads merged.Then get a second driver to complete the journey. If everyone obeyed the rules, the industry wouldn't be so cut-throat.
    Not practical really though,is it! The meat factorys are to blame for drivers breaking their driving hours not the haulage companies.They give the drivers an impossible task,too many timed deliveries with no margin for traffic delays ect.If the companies dont get there on time the factories simply dump them in favour of another.When work is scarse meat factories take advantage of hauliers,by threatening to get someone else,to break the law ,so the haulier is forced to comply.A lot has changed since the introduction of the digi tacograph card,but it still goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not practical really though,is it! The meat factorys are to blame for drivers breaking their driving hours not the haulage companies.They give the drivers an impossible task,too many timed deliveries with no margin for traffic delays ect.If the companies dont get there on time the factories simply dump them in favour of another.When work is scarse meat factories take advantage of hauliers,by threatening to get someone else,to break the law ,so the haulier is forced to comply.A lot has changed since the introduction of the digi tacograph card,but it still goes on.

No the hauliage company's are to blame for accepting such ridiculous contracts and timelines! The IRHA should be telling all of their members to refuse deadlines that call for unsafe driving practices. If all members actually agreed to do this the exporting companies (such as meat factories) would soon change their tune. It's easier said than done, I'll grant you but it is possible and it's the unscrupulous bastids out there that accept these deadlines that are at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭roadrunner 1

you know, for 25 years I have been driving professionally and i am sick and tired of hearing about poor jimmy quinn. the sooner our industry gets his sort out will not be a day too soon. i to work for a what would appear to be a reputable company yet i am frequantly "forced" to drive over weight or dispose of the occassional tacho! the reason i use the word "force" is it is a simple case of do it or lose your job. It is a little funny really, i went to the uk and done some long distance and if i did this i would be sacked and here if i dont i will be sacked. There is no reason at all to drive illegally there is no point blaming anyone it is a free for all as there is no real governing body. the rsa need to start doing spot inspection on hauliers premisses and start removing some o licences this will stop this type of business conduct they need to make the transport companys accountable for missing mileage for a start once they can put the fear of God into our bosses eveything will change us drivers will be able to do our jobs legally and customers will tell there customers we cant get it there yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I take it this comes after last nights "Garda, Camera, No Action".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think this works a bit better in the aviation industry but this is in part because of the consequences to the employee - it takes tens of thousands of euro to qualify as a pilot and if you accept an illegal instruction from your company and it's found out your licence is gone for good. By comparison I don't think a truck licence and training costs nearly as much.

hi mike65 no i am afraid i missed it. it comes from years of frustration and no one to talk to. so i am greatful i found these boards where no one knows who you are. i say no one to talk to as i obviously keep my mouth shut at work and then there are my colleagues and unfortunately there knowledge of tachos and drive, rest, weekly rest and so on is less than poor and besides that, they dont care anyway. you see mike the unfair thing is, when you work as a professional driver upon commencing your employment you are required to sign a document from the employer exempting them from your law breaking as they only recruit professional drivers so us drivers are really in a no win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If we had a VOSA like agency in Ireland this nonsense would be eradicated.

our equivalent of vosa is the rsa !!!! apparantly trained by vosa. but if they are going to be as effective as vosa we drivers are in trouble, especially in the e/ downturn when there are plenty of other drivers waiting for our jobs

Advertisement