Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying RAM in carlow?

Options
  • 01-12-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Does anybody know if there is a place in Carlow that you can buy RAM for a PC?
    I don't think the place in fairgreen sells it and I can't think of anywhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

New pc repair shop down at castle hill, i got some there only last week for my laptop, i was thinking it would be hard to get as its for my laptop rather than pc but the guy got it for me no problem, think its DS computers, its opposite side of the road from dominos(mmmmmm i am hunger for pc now)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

cool, I'll head down there now. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Best option is Jones Business systems on O'brien road. Most knowledgeable by far

went down to DS. I thought it was a bit expensive though.
    I've never bought RAM before so I could be wrong but €40 for 512Mb and €22 for 256Mb seemed a bit much to me.

I might try Jones tomorrow. Do they stock some or just order in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭patrickc

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I've never bought RAM before so I could be wrong but €40 for 512Mb and €22 for 256Mb seemed a bit much to me.

i bought some last year in pc world liffeyvalley, as far as i remember they were 100 for a gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Bards

Try Deycom Computer Services on the O'Brien Road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

currys ??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Buy online at http://www.komplett.ie. Not many PC shops sell RAM like they used to.

ive also used komplett for bits and bobs never had a problem with them at all

lucylu wrote: »
    currys ??

not at the prices I saw in there yesterday

• Advertisement

patrickc wrote: »
    not at the prices I saw in there yesterday

how much are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

cheapest and easiest I have found to get RAM from is http://www.shop4memory.com/default.asp

They are based in Kildare and usually have very quick shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

was that your price for installed ShayK1?

sounds about right to me....

he never said anything about installation and I didn't ask.

tommycahir wrote: »
    cheapest and easiest I have found to get RAM from is http://www.shop4memory.com/default.asp

They are based in Kildare and usually have very quick shipping

512Mb incl next day delivery. €29

he never said anything about installation and I didn't ask.
    how much are we talking?

tis easy to install yourself anyhow..

i didnt specifically price ram, but for other things i thought they were well dear. e.g 40 euro dearer for a printer i bought in tesco 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

I take it this is for an old machine using SD Ram which actually isnt bad

I bought 2gb of ddr2 for 32euro inc vat in a shop on thursday

No, its DDR RAM. (PC2700 CL2.5... whatever that means?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

komplett.ie or shopformemory are great places to get ram. well recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

what laptop or pc is it for? sounds like it is for an older pc and 1gb should cost approx €40 plus postage

also there is a place on Dublin street where colemans used to be that sells pc's and all accessorise including RAM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

patrickc wrote: »
    ive also used komplett for bits and bobs never had a problem with them at all

Kip of a place, will never buy from these retards again. Seriously, bunch of <snip>. Anything that doesn't work you have to send it to netherlands, say goodbye to that for about 6 weeks ;) Jesus I hate them <snip>.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I guess there is a strange obsession with w*nking and komplett. Strange. Keep the language out of posts please, this forum is viewed by people of all ages.

Never had a problem with anything from Komplett and never heard of any long delays. Majority of people are happy with their service.

Sully wrote: »
    I guess there is a strange obsession with w*nking and komplett. Strange. Keep the language out of posts please, this forum is viewed by people of all ages.

Never had a problem with anything from Komplett and never heard of any long delays. Majority of people are happy with their service.

Mojority of people would say the same about most if not all businesses. Yet things do go wrong and people do feck up. I am letting you know what I have experienced.

Bought a PC last year, arrived after a long wait. worked for about a month. Rang them up, they had some remote fixing thing which I had to wait a week for. That didn't work so they organised to collect the pc and get it fixed. Mind you the whole process took about 2 months, they offered no coupons or discounts on anything just a "tough poo mate, nothing we are prepared to do that will show you we value our customers". Crap attitudes and even worse customer service... I spit on komplette.ie... PFFT!!!

Mojority of people would say the same about most if not all businesses. Yet things do go wrong and people do feck up. I am letting you know what I have experienced.

Bought a PC last year, arrived after a long wait. worked for about a month. Rang them up, they had some remote fixing thing which I had to wait a week for. That didn't work so they organised to collect the pc and get it fixed. Mind you the whole process took about 2 months, they offered no coupons or discounts on anything just a "tough poo mate, nothing we are prepared to do that will show you we value our customers". Crap attitudes and even worse customer service... I spit on komplette.ie... PFFT!!!

Thats fine, people have bad experiences. All I am asking is that you relax a little when having a rant and keep the swearing to yourself thanks. I agree its terrible customer service, and thanks for the heads up. I have experienced storys of good service. You get bad service in a lot of places :)

Komplett have their own forum on Boards for those who want to take a gander or ask them any questions.

Sully wrote: »
    Thats fine, people have bad experiences. All I am asking is that you relax a little when having a rant and keep the swearing to yourself thanks. I agree its terrible customer service, and thanks for the heads up. I have experienced storys of good service. You get bad service in a lot of places :)

Komplett have their own forum on Boards for those who want to take a gander or ask them any questions.

Sure thing, but I promised myself that I would bash that company at every chance I could get. Funny thing is, if they had to of has some decent after sales they would have had a lot more sales from me. Since then I have bought a 22" widescreen, external hard drives, gaming keyboard and mouse, webcam and some headphones. I spend a huge amount every year on hardware, they missed out big time.

What I find a problem with is the fact that companies only view sales on the short term. You know what the life long value of a customer is? It could be in the tens of thousands. If they were to realise this then they could generate more customer loyalty. Personally I would love to whip their butts and give them a lecture on customer service.

Sure thing, but I promised myself that I would bash that company at every chance I could get. Funny thing is, if they had to of has some decent after sales they would have had a lot more sales from me. Since then I have bought a 22" widescreen, external hard drives, gaming keyboard and mouse, webcam and some headphones. I spend a huge amount every year on hardware, they missed out big time.

What I find a problem with is the fact that companies only view sales on the short term. You know what the life long value of a customer is? It could be in the tens of thousands. If they were to realise this then they could generate more customer loyalty. Personally I would love to whip their butts and give them a lecture on customer service.

Tis a funny world. Anyway, lets keep to the topic about getting RAM for the OP :)

I bought a PC off adverts today and the guy through in some extra RAM. Trouble is.. it didn't fit the PC. On the plus side, it did fit the PC I was originally looking for RAM for.

So now I have 2 PCs sorted but still looking for RAM for the last one.

Its a HP Vectra, this one is pretty old. Its got a P3 in it and currently has 128mb. I need to get 256mb to bring it to 384mb so I can run ubuntu on it.

Jaysis such hardship!!!!!

what I'm now looking for is 256Mb PC133u.... it doesn't say DDR on it so I'm guessing its SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Shay I might have some lying around, I have a load of old RAM leave it with me for a day and I should be able to dig some up.

crap, this stuff looks way more expensive.

80euro !!!???!!!??!!

256Mb PC133 SDRAM 16Mx8, 16 chips - Matrix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

crap, this stuff looks way more expensive.

80euro !!!???!!!??!!

256Mb PC133 SDRAM 16Mx8, 16 chips - Matrix

seems the older the pc the dearer the ram and other parts get as suppliers wont usually be buying the same quantities and dont get as good a price from their suppliers so have to pass that on to us.:( but at least it is still available;)

Advertisement