Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing for light @ Paranoid Visions

Options
  • 01-12-2008 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

about 2 stops above normal in bridge.

Dorans has just red LED's on that night which was fecking up the AF a bit.

3070408447_67770e4dcd.jpg

3070427281_c78b0b4722.jpg

3071246044_0c8c89c4cb.jpg

3071252926_056f2187fa.jpg

3071254946_31eb78e63b.jpg

3070418173_4969061cf4.jpg

3070419407_ca3fb82dd2.jpg

C&C if you want

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Hah! you must have seen me at this last night, I was the guy all over the stage at various times!
    I shot in Raw last night and yes the red spots def added too much red to my pics, didn't effect my AF but why I converted most of mine to B+W.
    Here is a colour one with the Red giving a glow on yer mans face, this is Kidd Blunt who were on first.

1379B79E87374FF4B1726D77525151FD-800.jpg

Your pics are fine, #2 being my favourite.
    PV must be one of the easiest bands to photograph, Deko is a real showman and it always helps to have a female in a band and these have 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Hah! you must have seen me at this last night, I was the guy all over the stage at various times!

hey your hard to miss firing that flash :)

yea was standing behind ya a few times shooting over your head well apart from that time you were up on the table.

Yea PV brought back some fun memory's. I remember getting into a few disagreements with some of the lads up in the temple bar at toxic events over a decade ago. Strange to pop out and see all the old heads still looking the exact same. I'm sure nobody recognises me any more without the mohawk.

How times have changed.

and will this be the start of a regular comeback for you at Punk gigs?

PV have pld so often the last 6 months, I've photographed them 4 times alone in the last 2 months.

John Toxic still promotes gigs and is meant to be sorting me for Rebellion 2009 in Blackpool.

/edit just seen your mug on myspace....I remember ya now, near the end of the gig, think you're in 1 of the vids I had shot, vaguely, I was out since early...
    You're not in this vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXIoAAjAfaU
    but you're in the 1s I'm upping at the moment...

/edit Your myspace says you're into experimental!!!! wtf!! I'm a Punk since 1978...Punk is for life not just xmas!!!!!!1!11111

/edit Your myspace says you're into experimental!!!! wtf!! I'm a Punk since 1978...Punk is for life not just xmas!!!!!!1!11111

ah 1978 is quite a while ago.
    Was never a punk anyway come to think of was never quite much anything always just there at the gigs having a great time.

Most my friends called themselves punks though but it never fully rubbed off on me. Have no intention of growing out of my miscellaneous stage any year soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This might be of help:

http://books.google.ie/books?id=yKsnZUcbE1gC

Is it worth getting a camera for night photograpy that can reach 3200 ISO? Canon Digital Rebel only allows for 100-1600.

I have put the 50mm lens on my shopping list, but there are tricks for getting the best out of a 70-300 at night that are easily avaible on the net.

• Advertisement

PV playing this Saturday night in Dorans btw for anyone who wants to give gig photography a go...
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Sorry to highjack, but Sebzy you're input would be appreciated here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055466309

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

PV playing this Saturday night in Dorans btw for anyone who wants to give gig photography a go...

shudder... I'd love to if they'd sort the lights out... how much in?

my last gig there

pretty sure I had to use flippin flash... loved the bands... it was a world tour but blimey ya'd think they'd sort the lights out

10 euros in which includes a cd..
    Paranoid Visions are actually only 1 of 2 support bands to The Restarts who are quite a big Punk band.
    Other support band are Sligo based The Excuses who are my fab Irish Punk band.
    All 3 bands are VERY photogenic, full of movement and action.
    I will be using flash at this gig btw, not enough light.
    I'd never worry about the lights tbh..following punk you don't normally get any!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

AR have you ever considered off camera flash with colour gels? i have a few off cam flashes and a load of diff gels, put some colour over the flash and position them carefully and ya can get great colour in the shots

• Advertisement

Seen a guy put a flash on a stage be...I just used his!
    In all seriousness that's the diff between me and most gig photographers..you'se go for these dramatic lights/colours on faces, I just go for my shots.
    Punk bands generate so much life that light becomes irrelavent.
    Get your arse down Saturday night and you will def enjoy the shots you will get...no bouncers and no barriers.

Punk is too 90/mph for fancy lights!

they would have the same energy as any punk act... http://flickr.com/photos/megownsengland/1311675136/

light does not mean mainstream AR!!!

In all seriousness that's the diff between me and most gig photographers..you'se go for these dramatic lights/colours on faces, I just go for my shots.
    Punk bands generate so much life that light becomes irrelavent.
    Get your arse down Saturday night and you will def enjoy the shots you will get...no bouncers and no barriers.

I've always enjoyed combining the shot and the lighting true it's harder to get it right but the results I get I'm very happy with.

2297503457_3ac2b600da.jpg

2298298022_09a3b75b0d.jpg

they would have the same energy as any punk act... http://flickr.com/photos/megownsengland/1311675136/

light does not mean mainstream AR!!!
    Never heard of em.... :p

Also unless they like The Excuses play at 90mph I doubt it.

Sebzy wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed combining the shot and the lighting true it's harder to get it right but the results I get I'm very happy with.

i'd agree light gives more energy than bw can ever provide

Sebzy wrote: »
    But what happens when you go to the Pubs were 99% of Punk gigs are on....no fancy lighting there, just a basic lightbulb.

But what happens when you go to the Pubs were 99% of Punk gigs are on....no fancy lighting there, just a basic lightbulb.

You turn that basic lightbulb into your best friend and milk it for all it's worth.
    Sometimes you cant avoid using flash and when you are stuck then you use flash smart.

- Slow Sync
    - Bounce
    - Gels

Your basic camera flash gun is a crude tool which when used right can produce amazing results that enhance the shot.

99% maybe but that 1% in decent places equates to i'd say easily over 100 gigs a year in places with excellent lighting, ie tbmc, tripod etc

99% maybe but that 1% in decent places equates to i'd say easily over 100 gigs a year in places with excellent lighting, ie tbmc, tripod etc
    TBMC I've used once in 2008...ended up with band and myself fighting/Jumping in between with bouncers/others, biggest venue I'd be into would be Dorans.
    Don't know if they'd be even a dozen and a half gigs in Dorans in a calendar year that I would attend anyway.
    With Maths your lighting logic is saying you go to a big venue gig every 2nd week and a pub gig 9900 times a year!!!

/edit
    Come to gig Sat night, I will be fairly sober as we're going onto leg 3 of the tour to Galway early the next morning.

• Advertisement

TBMC I've used once in 2009...ended up with band and myself fighting/Jumping in between with bouncers/others, biggest venue I'd be into would be Dorans.
    Don't know if they'd be even a dozen and a half gigs in Dorans in a calendar year that I would attend anyway.
    With Maths your lighting logic is saying you go to a big venue gig every 2nd week and a pub gig 9900 times a year!!!

/edit
    Come to gig Sat night, I will be fairly sober as we're going onto leg 3 of the tour to Galway early the next morning.

2 a week not every second week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

TBMC I've used once in 2008...ended up with band and myself fighting/Jumping in between with bouncers/others, biggest venue I'd be into would be Dorans.

/edit

I hear that Vicar's Street is less violent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I hadn't realised this had descended into a "I go to more underground gigs than you" thread :p but anyway I might drag it slightly back on to topic.

I might have the opportunity to get take some photos at the next Spectra Hawk gig in The Grosvenor. It is a pretty small venue (just the function room of the pub) with a ~12ft high ceiling with white ceiling tiles and about 20ft wide near the stage.

I saw them last night in the same venue and they were supporting (and will be next time) so no pit to speak of but a bit of space to wander around in front of the stage as long as I stay out of vocalist's way. Lighting is OK for a small venue, stage is the only thing lit (with just lights) but a bit red.

I've never done any live stuff and was hoping for some advice. It isn't the most serious of gigs I just asked Kev afterwards would they mind me taking pics next time (no one was last night and seemed a good opportunity to learn)

My kit is:
    Nikon D80
    18-135mm Kit lens (f/3.5-5.6)
    50mm (f/1.8)
    70-300mm (redundant I assume for this type of thing but included it)
    Sigma Flash gun (EF 530 ST if that makes any difference, I also have the extender cord for this so can have it off camera at arms length)

How do I begin? I was going to just try the kit lens, bounce the flash off the ceiling and keep the ISO low and then maybe use the built in diffuser and move the flash around and also try use high ISO (1600) without flash. I am a bit wary and am unsure about using the flash as I still haven't mastered it but this could be a chance to.

Also I generally shoot in M is Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority more appropriate for this type of thing?

Any advice/pointers appreciated.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    How do I begin? I was going to just try the kit lens, bounce the flash off the ceiling and keep the ISO low and then maybe use the built in diffuser and move the flash around and also try use high ISO (1600) without flash. I am a bit wary and am unsure about using the flash as I still haven't mastered it but this could be a chance to.

Any advice/pointers appreciated.

Well above all have fun.

I would go for the 50mm and ISO1600 and underexpose by about 1/2 to 1 stop.

a pet peve of mine is people who stand smack bang up in front of the performers flashing away with their high powered kit. The performers don't like it and either do the other photographers trying to get shots.

Work as a promoter in my spare time and have had many performers asking for snap happy flashers to be removed from the crowd.

Well did anyone else make it to the gig?
    Saw AnimalRights in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Thanks for the tips.

I'll probably just bring the 50mm and have a high ISO and give it a bash, with a 2GB card I can just keep shooting and see what works out.

Also they have more or less a gig a month lined up for the next few months (along with at least one other band I know) so I will have a chat with them after the first one and ask about flash and the like once I have a better idea about what worked and what didn't.

I would keep any flash to a minimum anyway don't want to piss them or the crowd off (can't trust those punks :P)

For the punks out there they feature Bloody Kev from Hard To Swallow

Well all the images are up now
    New thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58763810

My fave has to be this one
    3228942860_a167695e63.jpg

That's like a 3D Deko! :eek:

Advertisement