Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympus experts?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

HI.

Can someone point me towards a more comprehensive range of lenses for Olympus DSLRs than Conns are listing on their website? Also anyone know what the crop factor is on an Olympus is? And the best fps on an Olympus? I'm not making much sense of their website. Are their cameras theoretically dust/weather resistant, any of them and how much are they economising with the truth if they say they are?

Don't try and sell Olympus to me with in body IS - I don't care about it. The telephoto selection on Conns is a bit limited and I'm pretty sure Sigma don't manufacture for Olympus. I don't find anything longer than 400mm for Oly anyway and so what are my options? Tamron/Tokina are looking at 200mm max.

I'm interested in Oly for two reasons: someone once told me they had weather resistance when none of the others had and I shot Oly when I was shooting film.

On the downside I'll need to replace a load of lenses and getting a waterproof casing might be hard.

But I am looking at options in addition to the Canon gear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/

Not an olympus expert but I've found that website good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The 8mm fisheye looks hot but it looks like a 300mm 2.8 fixed is the longest on offer there.

I really need something of the 100-400 variety or 50-500mm.

Thanks a million though. Nice exploration.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

I don't know much about Olympus either but I can answer the crop factor question: It's 2X. Which means you get an awful lot of bang for your buck with telephoto lenses - that 200mm is actually equivalent to 400mm on a full-frame, and the 300 f2.8 is an incredible 600mm f2.8! Of course the downside is that the sensor is a lot smaller, so the noise is always going to be higher than full-frame or even 1.5x crop cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

There is plenty if reading on Wrotniak.net, he's a Oly user but not an unthinking fan.

Sigma do lenses for Oly, including your 50-500 which I think is widely used by birders, in fact IIRC they also do the 300-800 in fourthirds, would 1600mm equivalent get you close enough?

Any of the top grade lenses can also be used with 1.4x and 2x teleconvertors, they are not cheap though.

I think you should try getting in touch with Sezby, he has an E3 and some of the top level lenses.

I'll dig out the full lens list as soon as I can.

EDIT: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/lense.html

This is interesting, try matching the E3 with the sigma 300-800, not exactly a portable solution.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/matching/index.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The E3 is the camera you want if weatherproofing is what you are after, I presume you want it for kitesurfing ! Do you intend to use it with your old Olympus OM glass/lenses ? ie. this would require an adapter and 'manual focus', ie. tricky. (or have I read your post wrong).
    PS. I'm interested if you have old OM lenses....
    300 f2.8 is an incredible 600mm f2.8
    >> good point,
    ie. easy to use 300mm on the camera while getting effective 600mm,
    imagine trying to get a 600mm 2.8 in any format.

Warehouseexpress.com have 2 150mm (300mm effective) lenses:
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 @ 439 sterling
    Olympus 150mm F2 @ 1750 (splashproof)
    > surfer image with this lens : http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/lenses/150_20/images/sample01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Never a bad thing to run 2 systems if they can complement one another ;)

Now to answer your questions:
    Crop factor - 2x so all lens focal length's are doubled, 12-60 is 24-120 etc.
    FPS - The E-4xx and E-5xx are 3.5fps and the E-3 is 5fps but with the "worlds fastest autofocus" with SWD lenses.

Weatherproofness - The E-3 is the camera you're talking about here, currently available body only for 1200euro in camera exchange on georges street I think but cheaper online, and it's the only camera which is weather sealed to an international standard. Also any of the pro or top pro lenses will be fully weather sealed.
    So if you want wide to telephoto in a compact package the 14-54 (mark II) and the 50-200 swd would give you 28mm to 400mm with full weather sealing.

I know you shoot raw but Olympus cameras do produce very usable jpg's straight out of the camera, so you could find that you don't need to pp as often as you currently do.

Any other questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This explains why a photo I took without flash with an Olympus was surprisingly grainy in comparison to my Canon.

I'll post a link in the "Portraiture" thread, to keep the theme going there.

duffarama wrote: »
    Never a bad thing to run 2 systems if they can complement one another ;)

Now to answer your questions:
    Crop factor - 2x so all lens focal length's are doubled, 12-60 is 24-120 etc.
    FPS - The E-4xx and E-5xx are 3.5fps and the E-3 is 5fps but with the "worlds fastest autofocus" with SWD lenses.

Weatherproofness - The E-3 is the camera you're talking about here, currently available body only for 1200euro in camera exchange on georges street I think but cheaper online, and it's the only camera which is weather sealed to an international standard. Also any of the pro or top pro lenses will be fully weather sealed.
    So if you want wide to telephoto in a compact package the 14-54 (mark II) and the 50-200 swd would give you 28mm to 400mm with full weather sealing.

I know you shoot raw but Olympus cameras do produce very usable jpg's straight out of the camera, so you could find that you don't need to pp as often as you currently do.

Any other questions just ask

Thanks a million for that.

I really need the weather protection at the wider end and the 2x crop is going to seriously cost me on the widest end - however, the 14-54 range is a useful range for me so I'm going to have a look at costing this. I saw that the body was around the 1300E mark. Will have a look at that lens as well.

The sports stuff I generally shoot in jpg for fps purposes - the buffer on a Canon 40D isn't big enough for the speed of fps versus burst rate for RAW shots.
    Anouilh wrote: »
    This explains why a photo I took without flash with an Olympus was surprisingly grainy in comparison to my Canon.

I don't get the logic here to be honest. I'm assuming you've checked out what ISOs each camera was using?

Calina wrote: »

I really need the weather protection at the wider end and the 2x crop is going to seriously cost me on the widest end - however, the 14-54 range is a useful range for me so I'm going to have a look at costing this. I saw that the body was around the 1300E mark. Will have a look at that lens as well.

The sports stuff I generally shoot in jpg for fps purposes - the buffer on a Canon 40D isn't big enough for the speed of fps versus burst rate for RAW shots.

If it's wide you're looking for there are 3 weather sealed lenses of varying cost. The 11-22, the 12-60 swd and the 7-14, there is also the 9-18 which is not weather sealed.

As for the 14-54, be aware that there are 2 versions now, the original and a mark II. The newer version has rounded aperture blades for better bokeh.

You can check out lens reviews on dpreview.com and cameralabs.com

Oh and there are some interesting bundle deals available on the E-3, free grip, free flash offers or extra lenses so if you decide on the E-3 keep an eye out for a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Calina wrote: »

You will get the E3 and 12-60SWD for about €1840, and there is a pretty decent free sweetener thrown in, about €500 worth of free gear, and its decent stuff that you will get good use out of.

Okay. I'm going to have to seriously think about this because you're making it very attractive.

To Calina:
    PS. I'm interested if you have old OM lenses....
    ....quoting myself, so......do you have old OM lenses & are you going to try and use them ?
    <I often wonder if my posts are invisible!>

I have the following lenses:

50mm 1.8 which came with the OM10

Vivitar - I think it's an 80-250mm but I'd have to check

The other one is a Tamron 35-105mm as far as I remember. It has a heavyish vignette on it though.

For sports purposes none of them have autofocus so unlikely. But I'm keeping the OM10 that I have so can't see myself parting with those lenses either. If you wanted to borrow them we might be able to do something.

Thanks for the offer, but none of those lenses interest me, ie. I have 3 50mm's, I got an old Pentax M 28mm F2.8 recently so I'm on the look out for more wide-angle lenses, new or old, but they are hard to come by at a (recession/depression) good price !
    /Off topic:
    I'm also thinking about upgrading, (from my E510), should funds allow (but I don't think they will), and I've 'narrowed' it down to Oly E3, Nikon D90/200, D300 or Canon 40D, 5D. I'd prefer Nikon as I have an old Nikon 135mm F3.5.
    /End Off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

I'm an Olympus user myself, E3, E520 and E500. They're all dust resistant, the do they shakey-shakey when you turn them on. You may not believe me, but I've never once had sensor dust on any of my Olympus cameras. Not once. The only one that's weather resistant is the E3, and Olympus claims about it are true. You can run it under the tap. I even used it in a swimming pool once to take some shots of a water volleyball game.

There is a smaller number of lenses in the range than say Canon - in saying that, the quality of the lenses is superb. I have the 14-35 f2 and the 35-100 f2, both from the Super-High Grade series. These are both incredible, but expensive lenses - about €1800 each online, €2500 in Conns. I love the fact that they both have a constant f2 aperture at any zoom length. I also use the 50mm f2 macro which some believe is the sharpest lens in existance. It was €800 when I bought it, but you can pick it up new now for under €400 online.

I also use the 14-54 quite a bit. Magnificent, light and inexpensive all-rounder.

Sigma make lenses also. I have the 35 f1.4 which only really comes out of the bag when there's extremely low light. Although now that I think about it, I haven't used it once since I got the 14-35 f2.

You can get a very cheap Oly 70-300 (so 140-600 in 35m), but I believe the quality isn't great. It's a budget lens after all.

As already pointed out, the crop factor is 2x.

One limitation of the 4/3 format though, is that it's unlikey to ever rise much higher than 10 or 11 megapixel camera bodies, which is a bit annoying.

I hope this helps. I'd be happy to answer any more questions if I can, or let you have a play around with the gear if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Hi Calina

If you or any of you want to have a play with my olympus kit your more than welcome.

Could just meet up in the Botanic gardens on the weekend or something.

Bodys
    - Olympus E3
    - Olympus E1
    - Olympus E300
    - Olympus E510
    Lenses
    - Sigma 30mm F1.4
    - Zuiko Digital 11-22mm F2.8-3.5
    - Zuiko Digital 50mm F2
    - Zuiko Digital 14-45mm F3.5
    - Zuiko Digital 14-54mm F2.8-3.5
    - Zuiko Digital 35-100mm F2
    - Zuiko Digital 50-200mm F2.8-3.5
    - Olympus FL-50

Lovely collection of lenses (& cameras) there Sebzy, I'm drooling!
    Could you ever see yourself selling the lot to go to a PRO camera, ie. full frame (or larger) ?

Lovely collection of lenses (& cameras) there Sebzy, I'm drooling!
    Could you ever see yourself selling the lot to go to a PRO camera, ie. full frame (or larger) ?

Facepalm :mad:

The E-3 is a PRO camera, and four thirds is essentially a full frame system in that all the lenses are designed for the sensor size, although I know it means 35mm frame.

Sebzy I'd be interested in trying the 30mm F1.4 but think the 50mm f1.4 may be a better option for me if/when its available in a 4/3 mount as I love using the OM 50 f1.8 at gigs (with mixed success!)

oh and if Sebzy or click clicky are interested, the 90-250 is reduced to sell at Conns http://www.connscameras.com/flat_areaEQLproductsAMPCategoryIDEQL10177_entry.html

sorry duffarama, i was talking full-frame, I knew typing 'PRO' would land me in trouble!:o
    using the OM 50 f1.8 at gigs (with mixed success!)
    ...quite good success, from what I saw on your pix.ie, its so difficult when using a manual lens like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

oh and if Sebzy or click clicky are interested, the 90-250 is reduced to sell at Conns http://www.connscameras.com/flat_areaEQLproductsAMPCategoryIDEQL10177_entry.html

Cheers man, but can't justify €5k on a lens right now!

I think the next lens I'll go for is the 7-14mm f4.

sorry duffarama, i was talking full-frame, I knew typing 'PRO' would land me in trouble!:o

...quite good success, from what I saw on your pix.ie, its so difficult when using a manual lens like that!

You haven't seen the shots I took at a gig on Friday! ;)

Nor will you :(

Oh and to Click Clicky, looking at the gear yourself and Sebzy listed I thought you'd be the only folk who'd be interested, but it is seriously expensive!

The 7-14 is a stellar lens though by all accounts

I saw some pics from the 30mm F1.4 (on an Olympus) a while back on pix.ie and they were quite good, maybe sebzy could clarify matters.

Oh I've seen pictures taken with it but always in comparison to the Leica 25mm F1.4 on dpreview!! It'll never win that battle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Sebzy I'd be interested in trying the 30mm F1.4 but think the 50mm f1.4 may be a better option for me if/when its available in a 4/3 mount as I love using the OM 50 f1.8 at gigs (with mixed success!)

I've had the 30mm for a few years now and it gets very little use i stick to the 35-100mmF2 and the 50mmF2 for most gig shots.

Anyway your welcome to have a play with it sometime...

I'm very interested in the 50mm F2 but I've got the 35 macro and it extends the barrel when the light is low or it's struggling to focus, if the 50 macro does this less I'd be very interested in it as it's an amazing lens by all accounts.

Advertisement